Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Did she punch them in the face and then reach for their weapon?
There were no tasers back then- and she grabbed this body -normal scuffle when resisting arrest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
They did pat him down.

They caught him in the drive thru of Wendy's sleeping - had him move his car and he drove over the curb in the lot. Even if he didn't move his own car, even if he was still parked, it was still a DUI.

The cop was MORE than patient during the whole exchange. And then it wasn't.

It's 100% Brooks fault.

Watch the entire body cam video.
Just watched it. 100% Brooks fault. Any yet the officers will be fired.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:18 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
Watch the video. The suspect turns his back and fires the taser gun at the officer, he was clearly a threat to the officer that fired his gun in self-defense. Are you refusing to objectively watch the video?

It kind of amazes me (and saddens me) to the extent to which some people will go to justify the criminal behavior of other people. I don't understand why people make excuses for assaulting police officers, stealing a cop's service weapon, and then firing that weapon at an officer. Far too many people in this nation obviously were not raised right by their parents and have some serious moral contradictions in their arguments or refuse to objectively look at a situation.
They guy running is how far way from him with this taser? And when did the cop pull out his weapon? Come on Mr. atty --lets hear all the facts

Old 06-14-2020, 10:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't think you understand the seriousness of the situation, though. The guy already fought with and tazed cops, which smacks of desperation. What else is the guy capable of? What if he had a gun? The cops didn't have a chance to pat him down yet, did they? I don't think they did. If you are running from the cops and turning around shooting something at the cops, you don't get the benefit of the doubt at that point. That's what people need to understand.

My only question is why didn't they just call the damn guy a cab and get him home? They didn't catch him driving, he was passed out in his car. Wake him up, tow the car and get his butt home and give him the bill. Why does everything have to end up in an arrest and money for the state? Yeah, he was on Wendy's property, blocking the drive thru lane. I get that. "Well he had to drive there, didn't he and he was drunk!" ok, yeah but he didn't hurt anyone. He was asleep. The first cop seemed to kind of try to be more "peace officer" like? Maybe, I don't know, still don't really have the complete story of why he was there in the first place and what happened. My opinion is subject to change as more info becomes available.
I understand the seriousness but the law does not empower the Police with the right to 'speculate' what someone 'might' be capable of. When he turned around they knew what he had - a taser, they still had their weapons and they had already patted him down for weapons. A taser is a non-lethal weapon. The officer's lives were not in danger.

Regarding you second paragraph, I agree with you there were better ways to handle this.

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
So in the first place if they said to the guy. Let's drive you home, leave your keys here. Would he be dead?

That's the way they use to do it.

13,767 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Any metro area in America that is more than 30% black should have a hiring ratio of 1 white cop to every 4 black cops.

I know this is racist, but this seems to be what the left is driving us to. Everything is about race and the left uses it as a weapon. Let's take that weapon away from them.

I think you're right. At this point I don't see any other way. To be sure a Black cop kills a Black suspect there will be a public outcry but the rhetoric will be turned way, way down.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I think you're right. At this point I don't see any other way. If it's Black on Black violence nobody seems to care much.

A Black cop killing a Black suspect will have a public outcry but the rhetoric will be turned way down.
Not true -- endless community groups in areas where black on black are trying to mitigate the problem.

Federally -- Trump said he could fix it, state wide, they have tried.

Part of the problem is the police tactics. They aren't dealing with the root of the criminal activity -- just band aiding it. That's what defund is about. It's about trying to address the social issues that result in the crminal activity -- not just force to try and stop it.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Fighting the police, taking a taser from said officer and attempting to use it is a bad situation. The cop cannot allow himself to be disabled while hes in possesion of his firearm. This guy was clearly under the influence of something. Suppose he got the gun and shot police and bystamders also. This was all a possibility. He left them no choice at that moment. They did not just pick him to stop for no reason. Its unfortunate this was the outcome but his actions caused it in this case.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And I agree with you that those shootings should NOT be happening. They should have been outraged-- In FL we get mentally ill people killed all the time. This protest is FOR ALL excessive force- not just towards blacks! I am from the Kent state days... and there were protests then. A change has to happen, and some like the protest party, but some know why.
My point was that no one cares about it because only black lives matter.

You'll get riots when a black person is justifiably shot by police, but no one hears about it when any other kind of person is shot justifiably or not.

That's the problem we're facing today. Extreme racism where the color of skin determines if people care or not.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
Tasers are designated "less lethal", not "non-lethal".

Someone better let Stacy Abrams know, she Tweeted ""A taser is not a deadly weapon. A gun is."

Lethal or not it still fails to explain why police felt it necessary to shoot an intoxicated man in the back. Just what threat of lethal force did he present at that time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies