Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This guy died of stupidity.

Because if you seriously think that you can fight a cop, take his taser from him and then point it at him AND NOT GET SHOT.....

You're a freaking idiot.
So what?

Once again, the point isn't whether or not Mr Brooks' own supposed stupidity got him killed. (Actually it was a bullet that did that.) The point is whether or not the police officer responded legally and appropriately when he killed Mr Brooks. That's the issue that still stands after all the emotion and opinionating get cleared away. It's the job of the courts to decide the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 10:47 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Is it out now. I haven't been reading the news.

I found it 44 minutes.

Again -- I stand by my immediate reaction -- in this climate, this guy wasn't a harm to anybody...when he started running for a DUI....you let him go. You have his car (they must have had his license too -- it's the first thing they ask for right?) That's all they needed to be able to charge him, impound his car.

It was not worth shooting him in the back for.

It was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....the guy was drunk.

He was not a harm to the community unless he was driving.

And they had his car....let him run.

IF the goal is community safety -- not showing power....let him go.

For the record I don't think he was shot because he was black......BUT it does seem more and more minorities, lower income folks are the victims of police aggressive reaction to petty crimes.

It is an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30MJIdRMeg

He assaulted the cops.

Stole their taser.

Fled.

Fired the taser at the cops.

If the goal is community safety, you don't let a drunk guy with a weapon who's just committed assault, flee.

The fault is 100% on Brooks and the police were correct.

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
51% of Atlanta Georgia are African-American
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,GA/PST045219
They make up the majority of the city’s population.
And....

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
Tasers are designated "less lethal", not "non-lethal".

From what I read, officers are required to be tased themselves during training. IF true it seems HIGHLY unlikely that would be done if tasers had a serious level of lethality.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Is it out now. I haven't been reading the news.

I found it 44 minutes.

Again -- I stand by my immediate reaction
Of course you do, your reaction is based on the color of his skin. The other facts are irrelevant.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:52 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Maybe only crone who knows how to handle a drunk since she was 8 yrs old. I think the academy better hire her - better yet let's put her out on the street and let her show them in real time.

I wish as much concern was shown to the police that have died or been injured within the last 2 weeks by these upstanding people.
Who says I have no concern about those killed and injured in the latest riots? That's some assuming you are doing.

Ya know what? It is not rocket science. And why is it wrong to expect the people hired and trained to be the protector of society to learn how to manage a drunk.

Far easier to call me out than examine what our culture does and why and how effective it is.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:55 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
It seems to me that there is a power struggle and the police want to 'dominate'.

There is a difference in trying to make a community safe and making sure you dominate.

I will say, we don't know the whole story...but based on some of the info. floating around....if this guy was asleep in his car, the biggest threat was if he was in fact drunk and would think about driving. They got him out of the car...that was a good thing. They were talking to him. AT that point all they needed was his keys -- if they were in a battle for his keys and the guy wasn't cooperating. Call the tow truck and impound the vehicle...let the guy sober up before he picks it up.

I know it is a DUI if you are sleeping in your car....but sometimes you make a judgement call.

Sometimes you avoid unneccessary power struggles.

AS I said -- my version is based on what we think we know -- not what we know.
so you leave the drunk guy behind the wheel alone and 20 minutes later he starts it up leaves the scene and wipes out a family in a minivan? You have no idea how many sets of keys he has and operating a vehicle while intoxicated is an arrestable offense. Judgement call? Ignore the law you've sworn to obey?

What's wrong with you people?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:56 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30MJIdRMeg

He assaulted the cops.

Stole their taser.

Fled.

Fired the taser at the cops.

If the goal is community safety, you don't let a drunk guy with a weapon who's just committed assault, flee.

The fault is 100% on Brooks and the police were correct.
wow, thank you for posting this.

My first reaction is that this is pretty darn sad. My second reaction is that, "what the hell are you thinking?"

I don't want to say this man "deserves" to die, but this is an example that a routine traffic stop can turn into a gun battle, or deadly. The person who survived is the cop, this fact makes some people angry. I have to say the officer did not do ANYTHING wrong. He has been professional from the beginning to the end.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
so you leave the drunk guy behind the wheel alone and 20 minutes later he starts it up leaves the scene and wipes out a family in a minivan. You have no idea how many sets of keys he has and operating a vehicle while intoxicated is an arrestable offense. Judgement call? Ignore the law you've sworn to obey?

What's wrong with you people?
Nope clearly stated in my post.... as he is running you stand down. You have his car and license and you impound the car and when he goes to pick it up he pays that fine (if he is sober of course) and the fine for the DUI.\

Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 AM

35,682 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
why would you cite Cincinnati for Atlanta's rules?

Should there be, via Federal/Congressional action, some reform and universal "rules of engagement" for all LEO's? Probably; there should certainly be a discussion. But we always need to be mindful that the circumstances vary by location.

A gun-firing suspect who flees on foot in NYC is vastly different from one in a small town.
YES- This true, some states like the feds- which I posted, write out their rules and are easy to Google. I can go into the GA law books, but might differ from each police station. In any case in GA this is what they do--- kill and shut up. I present my side with FACTS - not just my opinions.

Nearly half the 184 Georgians shot and killed by police since 2010 were unarmed or shot in the back,

Seventy-eight percent of the officers who discharged their weapons were white.

About one in six people fatally shot were unarmed. Of those 31 cases, 17 people were black and 14 were white. That represented 19 percent of all black shootings and 16 percent of all white shootings.

Overall, police fatally shot black citizens at a rate twice that of whites based on population figures, the investigation found.

Police excessive force have never been systematically tracked by state or federal agencies...

Although there is law to do so/// THIS IS THE BIG PROBLEM all is swept under the rug.

[/i]
Congress enacted the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which boosted subsidies for local and state law enforcement. The bill also required the attorney general to “acquire data about the use of excessive force by law enforcement officers” across the nation and to “publish an annual summary of the data acquired.” Congress effectively ordered the Justice Department to document how often police kill unarmed private citizens.

https://investigations.ajc.com/overt...ice-shootings/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5320501002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies