Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 10:37 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Equally? Are you telling us all intoxicated people who attempt escaping DUI charges are shot to death in Georgia?
Yes, all intoxicated people who steal a weapon from a cop and fire it at them will be shot. Didn't imagine I'd have to spell that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 10:37 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The shooting of "Thug" Michael Brown a few years ago was also justified.
Doesn't matter. Brown is forever memorialized on murals as a legend, martyr and hero.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:38 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It seems to me that there is a power struggle and the police want to 'dominate'.

There is a difference in trying to make a community safe and making sure you dominate.

I will say, we don't know the whole story...but based on some of the info. floating around....if this guy was asleep in his car, the biggest threat was if he was in fact drunk and would think about driving. They got him out of the car...that was a good thing. They were talking to him. AT that point all they needed was his keys -- if they were in a battle for his keys and the guy wasn't cooperating. Call the tow truck and impound the vehicle...let the guy sober up before he picks it up.

I know it is a DUI if you are sleeping in your car....but sometimes you make a judgement call.

Sometimes you avoid unneccessary power struggles.

AS I said -- my version is based on what we think we know -- not what we know.
In another word, you don't want cops to enforce DUI law? Maybe you should talk to state legislaturers to amend or abolish DUI law.

I am perfectly OK with that. I hate arresting people for DUI anyway. It's tedious, lot of paperwork and court appearances.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:38 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
In the first press conference, the lawyers were practically calling for a riot, I eventually turned it off. Call him an UBER, wth. Racist cops, blah blah blah. I can see the video with my own eyes, the cops were validated. So glad we have social media.
The attorneys also said that there was no field sobriety test.

Not only was a there a field test - they did a breathalizer.

Those attorneys should reimburse Wendy's for what those animals did.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:39 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can anyone answer how far away from a tazer you can be so it doesn't hit you?
Depending on the taser 15 ft is norm.. and if the guy is an an angle, would it have projected far right of the cop? Did the taser HIT the cop??

Old 06-14-2020, 10:40 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Depending on the taser 15 ft is norm.. and if the guy is an an angle, would it have projected far right of the cop? Did the taser HIT the cop??
Yes.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You want to know more? Watch the entire 1 hour plus body cam video. It's public.
Is it out now. I haven't been reading the news.

I found it 44 minutes.

Again -- I stand by my immediate reaction -- in this climate, this guy wasn't a harm to anybody...when he started running for a DUI....you let him go. You have his car (they must have had his license too -- it's the first thing they ask for right?) That's all they needed to be able to charge him, impound his car.

It was not worth shooting him in the back for.

It was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....the guy was drunk.

He was not a harm to the community unless he was driving.

And they had his car....let him run.

IF the goal is community safety -- not showing power....let him go.

For the record I don't think he was shot because he was black......BUT it does seem more and more minorities, lower income folks are the victims of police aggressive reaction to petty crimes.

It is an issue.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't think anyone in authority cares whether or not it was justified.

"Cop kills Black man" is all the mob needs to hear to start up. And Mayors/Governors are allowing the mobs to rule.
I agree with this.

People need to face some reality, Fatal shootings by police are the rare outcomes of the millions of encounters between police officers and the public.

Errors in Health Care: A Leading Cause of Death and Injury
Health care is not as safe as it should be. A substantial body of evidence points to medical errors as a leading cause of death and injury.

Nobody will talk about it.

In this country, white on black crimes sell, if a white cop killed a black man, then this white cop is automatically wrong. Like you said, cop kills a black man, this is the only thing they need to hear to start up.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:44 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Equally? Are you telling us all intoxicated people who attempt escaping DUI charges are shot to death in Georgia?
When they resist arrest, fight an officer for his weapon, take his weapon......run, turn around, and fire, weapon.....who`s fault is it?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
No, they actually aren't.
They're designated "less lethal" weapons by law enforcement, and tasers can kill if the bolts strike a person close to their heart (upper torso), which is why officers train to shoot suspects in the back or lower body with taser guns.
How far was the suspect from the cop when he turned around and aimed the taser at him? An X-26 taser is only effective at a range of 15 feet or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies