Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:57 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
This will cost them readership. Not because anyone cares about that guy, but because people are getting sick and tired of all the political correctness......
Ditto NFL and Nascar.......

It's an irrelevant magazine trying to regain some relevancy in today's climate but it will not work long term, if at all. They may lose a few customers and gain a few more but the ones they gain won't be natural customers so they won't last long. Unless maybe SI decides to have a new trans centerfold every month. But then they'd be a different kind of magazine wouldn't they?

Last edited by Toxic Waltz; 07-11-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I remember when they had their first Black woman on the cover, and then 4 years ago when they had their first plus-sized model.

People do get upset at their choices - funny. While Miss America has faded into complete obscurity, Sports Illustrated choosing what defines feminine beauty makes headlines often. And controversially.

I think this is the first one that's making men mad. In the past, it seems men were always, "yeah, that's fine she's hot", where women were upset with the plus sized model. Because that lessened their "brand" claim that only thin women were beautiful.

Times they are a'changin.
How can you fail to see the difference between putting a woman of color or a larger sized woman on the cover as a redefinition of "feminine beauty" and A MAN?? Do you find it acceptable to suggest to women that the feminine ideal is actually to look like A MAN?

Because after all, complaints that male (mostly gay) fashion designers do not design clothes for "real women" but for basically someone like this have been around for decades.

This is not about celebrating "feminine beauty"; this is about subverting womanhood and motherhood. Women have periods. They mostly can create children and breast feed them. They have to fight breast cancer and ovarian cancer and uterine cancer. That doesn't even begin to touch upon emotional differences in women. Being a woman is not about dresses and makeup. Men who have undergone surgery are not women and they never will be.

Times are changing for the worse, and it isn't because anyone is "transphobic" or judgmental. This is about logic and common sense and helping people who are mentally ill instead of parading them in front of the world. I don't care which famous person ala Stephen King talks about how trans men are really women. I don't care what criticism is lobbied at me. This is wrong, it is sad, and it is no exaggeration to say that humankind is in grave jeopardy.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:11 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
When did Sports Illustrated start hiring the mentally ill as editors?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
I'm nauseated

Old 07-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
When did Sports Illustrated start hiring the mentally ill as editors?
Interesting. Looks like they had a huge upheaval among the staff and editorial crew Feb. of last year.

Got rid of long-term writers and editors.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/03/sports...f-chris-stone/

Old 07-11-2020, 10:53 AM

380 posts, read 126,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'm nauseated
That's just your 'insecurities' surfacing! LOL!

The best thing to do with the left is to laugh at them and fight back.

Personally, I'm ok with trannies (I realize they're dealing with a chemical imbalance) and if SI chooses to put one on the cover, people can choose not to buy it or cancel their subscription.
BUT, it does look like shameless pandering.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:13 AM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yet another magazine folds to political correctness just like Rolling Stone did when they put the Boston Marathon Bomber on the cover.. Can we file this under the cancel culture club doings?

The world is getting turned over into a Bizzaro realm where wrong is right and right is wrong. I wonder if that Brazilian trans model had the operation or it is a clever tuck and tape job or someone is really good at working the photo shop software?

I can't imagine the number of teen boys that will be questioning themselves when they find out she is really a he?
What I find funny is that it's all the big corporations that the democrats are supposed to hate. And where are all the feminists in all of this? A real woman has now lost her job to a man when you think about it. And where are the Black Lives Matter? They should be outraged by the systematic racism of putting yet another vanilla face on the cover instead of a beautiful ebony queen showing off her curves.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:25 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If you want to single out a group of people and deny them the same opportunities as the rest of us, yup.
Who is denying anyone the same opportunities? Total false narrative.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:37 AM

426 posts, read 353,591 times
Quote:
This will cost them readership. Not because anyone cares about that guy, but because people are getting sick and tired of all the political correctness......
LOL what readership. This brand is circling the toilet anyways.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:05 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
And also because people don't buy the swimsuit issue to look at guys. Duh!!! The people who buy this are going to be revulsed.

Seems like somebody totally missed the point of the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies