Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2020, 08:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times

Advertisements

So with latest figures as of Dec. 19, let's look again at how having a required city mask wear while indoors in public ordinance works out. While true, it doesn't work to eliminate positive covid cases, it does appear to work out better than having nothing:

Stillwater, OK, pop. 50,299, public mask wear indoors required, total positive COVID-19 cases: 4007, Deaths: 12.

Yukon, OK, pop. 28,828, public mask wear indoors NOT required: total positive COVID-19 cases: 5042, Deaths: 16.

A mask wear mandate in Oklahoma statewide still isn't required, but cities can pass an ordinance requiring it.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-19-2020 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 PM

2,264 posts, read 975,532 times
Taiwan:

Population: 23,837,124

Size: 1/5 the size of Oklahoma

First case of COVID-19: January 21

First case of COVID-19 in U.S.: January 21

Distance from Wuhan, China: 700 miles

Social distancing: none, too densely populated

Surgical masks: 95% compliance

PPE shortages: none, Taiwan is No. 2 manufacturer of medical-grade face masks in the world

Total number of deaths from COVID-19: 7

Last death from COVID-19: May

Lockdowns: none

Status: life pretty much back to normal except for 14 day quarantines for incoming travelers

Economy: 2-3% growth in 2020

Last edited by mathlete; 12-20-2020 at 12:26 AM..

Old 12-20-2020, 05:38 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,717,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It depends on how you look at it. Let's say some mask blocks 20% of the virus from getting through, but aerosolizes what does get through. Is leaving that 80% that's left floating in the air to just be breathed in by everyone, really better than a droplet that falls to the ground? In a way, you're making it more infectious than it was before. There's also the issue of what happens to that 20%. Part of your immune system is exhaling things that don't belong in your body. Now that 20% is stuck, until you inhale so you're re-inhaling it every time you breathe in. So now, instead of actually expelling the virus, you're holding it against you, so your viral load intake is higher so you actually develop an infection, and now the virus is reproducing faster than your body can fight it, so you really ARE spreading it at that point!
More science distortion from an anonymous source who falsely perceives an equivalency between the findings of science and their own uninformed opinion.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:52 AM

16,331 posts, read 10,458,395 times
A former co-worker has lost a brother and their dad to COVID. He said one of the most painful parts of this experience is hearing and reading people who selfishly refuse to wear a mask or even acknowledge the virus as a real threat.

It's as if some of you are totally unaware of how hurtful and selfish your words are, obviously there are people here who read them who have lost loved ones as well.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 AM

25,457 posts, read 9,844,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
A former co-worker has lost a brother and their dad to COVID. He said one of the most painful parts of this experience is hearing and reading people who selfishly refuse to wear a mask or even acknowledge the virus as a real threat.

It's as if some of you are totally unaware of how hurtful and selfish your words are, obviously there are people here who read them who have lost loved ones as well.
Just found out a close family friend and her mother have Covid. Mom is not doing well and is in the hospital. She's 90 and has dementia. Daughter brought it home because she thought and still thinks, amazingly, that Covid is a hoax. Refused to wear a mask, went shopping, out to eat, acted like everything was normal. She blames it all on the media and Obama's death panels. This is what we are dealing with with a large population of the country. Reminds of the articles I've read about people screaming at the nurses while they're dying that they don't have Covid. Can't help some people. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to continue to stay as isolated as possible and wear masks everywhere.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Just found out a close family friend and her mother have Covid. Mom is not doing well and is in the hospital. She's 90 and has dementia. Daughter brought it home because she thought and still thinks, amazingly, that Covid is a hoax. Refused to wear a mask, went shopping, out to eat, acted like everything was normal. She blames it all on the media and Obama's death panels. This is what we are dealing with with a large population of the country. Reminds of the articles I've read about people screaming at the nurses while they're dying that they don't have Covid. Can't help some people. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to continue to stay as isolated as possible and wear masks everywhere.
Too bad how so many people won't wear masks at private family gatherings and other private events. I guess to do so looks too rude, unfriendly and untrusting. So that is why mandatory mask wear in public is needed. My local hospital indicated that 40% of their covid patients are from out of town, and over 50% of them come from towns that don't have a required mask ordinance.

Fox News today said social gatherings, by far, spread covid the most. Everywhere else is far down the list, including restaurants. Fox News also had on the CEO of the the Waffle House who said no cases of covid can be traced back to dining at one of his restaurants. That's good to know since I still go to my favorite restaurants but do so early before it gets full, which it can happen sooner than usual, since there are fewer tables from respacing them 6 ft apart. For the booths, short wood or clear plastic partitions were put up between them.

You don't hear anymore how meat packing plants are having problems with their workers getting covid. I wonder what all has been done to lesson the problem and what can be learned from it to benefit elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:23 PM

25,457 posts, read 9,844,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Too bad how so many people won't wear masks at private family gatherings and other private events. I guess to do so looks too rude, unfriendly and untrusting. So that is why mandatory mask wear in public is needed. My local hospital indicated that 40% of their covid patients are from out of town, and over 50% of them come from towns that don't have a required mask ordinance.

Fox News today said social gatherings, by far, spread covid the most. Everywhere else is far down the list, including restaurants. Fox News also had on the CEO of the the Waffle House who said no cases of covid can be traced back to dining at one of his restaurants. That's good to know since I still go to my favorite restaurants but do so early before it gets full, which it can happen sooner than usual, since there are fewer tables from respacing them 6 ft apart. For the booths, short wood or clear plastic partitions were put up between them.

You don't hear anymore how meat packing plants are having problems with their workers getting covid. I wonder what all has been done to lesson the problem and what can be learned from it to benefit elsewhere.
In my friend's instance, she thinks Covid is a big hoax. Her words.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:54 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,717,790 times
Mask Wars

We on Earth are at war with a virus. We should not be at war with solutions. "Mask Wars" in our nation only exist because some of us see SARS-CoV-2 and the disease it causes as a partisan/political issue.

I think we can all easily agree that disease is not a partisan issue. No one wants to be ill or have family members ill or die. Therefore, preventing or slowing down the spread of disease in a country is also easy to understand as non-partisan---and it is actually good citizenship to join an effort that benefits the public health and all humans, no matter their political persuasion. We can all see that an ill nation threatens our economic and national security. 2 more goals we citizens share in these United States.

So at this late date in this plague, that is ravaging America and the planet, I think it is fair to respectfully ask those who still insist disease and prevention of disease is political or partisan to re-evaluate their position. It is erroneous and self-defeating to be at war with a solution. Please don't be at war with simple steps to solutions to a huge problem that affects all of us in these United States of America and Earth.

Fighting a pandemic is not a partisan issue and mask wearing is not a political statement.
Each is our patriotic and earthly duty.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-20-2020 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-20-2020, 02:28 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,951,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

That doesn't make any sense. It's not selfish to not wear a mask, it's the right thing to do. Masks don't stop viruses....period.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:37 PM

37,168 posts, read 41,364,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Masks don't stop viruses....period.
Not 100%, but they do help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies