Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 02:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times

Advertisements

I am also done with the left. My parents immigrated to the U.S. in 1979 for opportunities that they couldn't get in India. I was raised a moderate liberal with deep respect for the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s that gave us all EQUAL opportunities including the rights for our family to have the same rights as White natural born citizens. NOW, the radical left is threatening to dismantle the U.S. as we know it. After many of us law-abiding citizens here in California dutifully stayed at home for over 2 months to stop the spread of Covid, thousands of "protesters" were given a free pass to riot, loot, and brutalize cops and random innocents while the so called "experts" condoned this behavior saying that "protesting racism" is suddenly more important than preventing this virus that supposedly would kill millions of people if we didn't obey the orders to stay home. Then, after the spike in cases that started in Mid June with no end in sight, they tell us the "protests" had nothing to do with this surge and it was all coming from the opening of businesses and people throwing backyard BBQs or going to the beach. Just NO, NO, NO. The only hope to rescue the left is for Biden to pick a strong centrist that has a background in law enforcement for his V.P. spot. Otherwise, I'm grudgingly going to vote for Trump. Ironically, among my circle of friends and acquaintances (wide range of ethnic backgrounds, ages and walks of life), the strongest supporters of BLM are White Liberals. When I challenge them, they insist that I am of "privilege" despite being a person of color because my parents came here voluntarily and I was raised upper middle class. Since I'm technically not African American, I have no right to against BLM matter either so we need more Black moderates and Conservatives to come out and back to MLK's original message if we want to save this nation for all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 7,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And yes, I am going to make the comparison to Saddam. Christopher Columbus committed literal genocide.
Difference is, the people tearing down the statue of Saddam were alive when he was committing atrocities against them and were celebrating his removal and their liberation from his oppression. How many people tearing down the Christopher Columbus statue were victims of Christopher Columbus's oppression?

What we have is a mob, armed with ropes and chains, deciding for the rest of us, what statues we are allowed to have.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:23 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,426 times
Heres a pretty simple analogy to explain whats become of the left:

They used to consist of two blue collar guys, a black guy, an academic, and one white collar progressive. Over time as, demographics have changed and influence has changed, it now consists of two blacks guys, an academic, and two woke white people who dont really work. The blue collar guy is now kind of a frenemy and only sees the group every now and then. its pretty easy to see how the shift to the left has occured.

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
No. He’s simply exposed the swamp. And TDS exposes itself. Your party supports looting and rioting. No brainer.
I agree. It takes literally no thought at all to support Donald Trump.

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
I'm assuming that most on this thread who are now done with the left because of the OP's post weren't really that enamored with the left to begin with. Just a hunch.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I doubt you were ever a leftist.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:26 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am sure the ones tearing down the statues are not Democrats (or Republicans.) They are far left and most of them are probably anarchists. They just want chaos and disorder which is a far cry from the majority of the actual protestors who just want change and equal rights.
But the real issue is the Democrat politicians at the city and state levels are not punishing the anarchists or maintaining safety, law and order. That makes them complicit with the anarchists which is why this situation is not apples to apples with anything related to the right wing.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:27 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm assuming that most on this thread who are now done with the left because of the OP's post weren't really that enamored with the left to begin with. Just a hunch.
Most sound like resonable centrists to me. Maybe its you that has changed

Old 07-16-2020, 02:29 PM

27 posts, read 7,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The funny thing is that I intentionally put in that example as kind of a test. How you reacted to it would give you away or confirm what you said. Shooting up synagogues- no response, but how dare I compare those peaceful people protesting government overreach!

Yeah, you're Right-wing alright.
How many right wing politicians have excused and apologized for shooting up synogogues the way the left apologizes for Antifa? These are one-off nut jobs that the right disowns and disassociates from. You have domestic terrorist groups taking over blocks of an American city for weeks at a time and a democrat mayor calls it the "summer of love"

Old 07-16-2020, 02:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
Difference is, the people tearing down the statue of Saddam were alive when he was committing atrocities against them and were celebrating his removal and their liberation from his oppression. How many people tearing down the Christopher Columbus statue were victims of Christopher Columbus's oppression?

What we have is a mob, armed with ropes and chains, deciding for the rest of us, what statues we are allowed to have.
So your argument is that you can only care about wrongdoing when it's done to you personally?
Isn't that advocating for a society without empathy or compassion entirely?

The thing is, society as a whole will ultimately decide that question- as to what is and isn't appropriate, just like literally the entire sum of human history. This is no different. Where it stops, I don't know, but it will eventually find a line, and perhaps it will even swing the other way just a bit. That's how cultural change works. Instead of arguing against change, maybe you should have conversations on how it should change. Be part of the solution, not just a wall opposing them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies