Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 02:40 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There's an old saying --- "If you lie down with dogs, you will get fleas."

If these so-called "peaceful protesters" had half a brain, they would leave immediately when things turn ugly. Period.
Yeah, I've said on this board several times I'm all ok with peaceful protests, once the bricks start flying it's a different story. If you're a "peaceful protester" you best get yo ass to stepping and get out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 03:10 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and Federal officers have been at the area of trouble which happens to be Federal property. trouble that started before they arrived. They have not been roaming the unaffected areas.
We had about 50 days of riots every night in Portland, before the federal law enforcement were sent there. It's like accusing the police of only exacerbating things, when they arrest a serial murderer

Old 07-30-2020, 03:12 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So then you don't believe in stand your ground/castle doctrine laws either I presume and favor duty to retreat laws?

You have a right to peacefully protest. You don't need to surrender that because of some other jackass. It's also not your duty to police that jackass yourself.
So...I noticed that you refused to answer the question posed. Thus I will assume that the answer to ---Are you willing to die for a cause? would be a resounding "yes". It's your life.

Are you hanging around protests when they turn ugly? Have you put your money where your mouth is?

As for your question --- Are you talking about something like a home invasion? If so, there is a big difference from defending you and your family and deliberately choosing to stay around when a protest turns ugly.

Yet another failed attempt at an analogy for you.

You do know that if you hang around when a protest gets ugly, you are enabling those who turned the protest ugly while they go around behaving in a vile and evil manner. When you hang around, you are complicit when it comes to such despicable actions. If that's how you roll, then don't complain if you end up injured. Just let your family and friends know that you are prepared to die for the cause.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:14 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I've said on this board several times I'm all ok with peaceful protests, once the bricks start flying it's a different story. If you're a "peaceful protester" you best get yo ass to stepping and get out of there.
^^^^This

I think reasonably intelligent people know to get out of there quickly when things turn ugly. The ones who choose to hang around are either not too bright or they are willing accomplices to the violence.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
My point is you're being fed incomplete and inaccurate information to invoke a particular response and swallowing it hook, line and sinker. I walked the area shown in those photos not more than 10 minutes ago. It is only a few blocks and there's not mayhem in the streets. When there are conflicts, blame can be assigned to both sides of the situation. My point about Detroit is locals rightly being upset that the entire city is characterized as being devastated based only on images of a few locations.

[Worth mentioning: As I said I was just down there and there is an amazing amount of tourist traffic wandering about taking pictures, snapping selfies and hunting for rubber bullet souvenirs, so it's not so unsafe that a tourist from Wisconsin can't get an edgy image to sent back to the folks in Green Bay]
You can visit the cross walk at the intersection of Sheridan Avenue and East 170th Street in Mount Eden, NY, where a father was murdered from a drive-by shooting, while walking his daughter, and guess what, it looks peaceful now, so i guess in your world, it never happened.

"Oh look, someone's taking selfies, see no shootings here. Move along."

Old 07-30-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
who is "they"? And for notnamed, who says all protestors are Antifa?
Who says? The people running out of ideas for how they can continue to justify the riots, and defend the woke memes by the Democrats and the left, that's who.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:26 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
So...I noticed that you refused to answer the question posed. Thus I will assume that the answer to ---Are you willing to die for a cause? would be a resounding "yes". It's your life.

Are you hanging around protests when they turn ugly? Have you put your money where your mouth is?

As for your question --- Are you talking about something like a home invasion? If so, there is a big difference from defending you and your family and deliberately choosing to stay around when a protest turns ugly.

Yet another failed attempt at an analogy for you.

You do know that if you hang around when a protest gets ugly, you are enabling those who turned the protest ugly while they go around behaving in a vile and evil manner. When you hang around, you are complicit when it comes to such despicable actions. If that's how you roll, then don't complain if you end up injured. Just let your family and friends know that you are prepared to die for the cause.
There are some causes I would die for, yes. Including defending this country or an innocent life. I think the protests are ultimately futile and with covid out there I'm not joining them. I am certainly voting and writing my reps though.

But I absolutely believe in the first amendment right of those who do. And I absolutely will not judge a peaceful protester as aiding rioters simply for exercising their own rights. That is entirely on the rioters alone. It is up to the police to find a way to arrest the rioters without impacting the protesters. They have tactics for this. If you're at the back of a crowd of thousands do you even know what a couple dozen are doing up front? Should you be tear gassed for it?

No, stand your ground laws apply to being out in public. Versus duty to retreat laws that mean if you can escape you must attempt to do so first.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:46 PM

628 posts, read 209,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So then you don't believe in stand your ground/castle doctrine laws either I presume and favor duty to retreat laws?

You have a right to peacefully protest. You don't need to surrender that because of some other jackass. It's also not your duty to police that jackass yourself.
That's action against you directly and doesn't involve innocent bystanders being affected by crowd-control devices deployed by law enforcement while trying to control an unruly crowd.

Castle doctrine also does not give you authority to defy a lawful order from law enforcement.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:57 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
That's action against you directly and doesn't involve innocent bystanders being affected by crowd-control devices deployed by law enforcement while trying to control an unruly crowd.

Castle doctrine also does not give you authority to defy a lawful order from law enforcement.
If you would give up any of your rights because of the actions of someone else that is certainly your choice. Just don't expect others to do the same. Then further say they are aiding and abetting the criminal by simple proximity.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:00 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Ridiculous.

Would you stay if a protest turned ugly? If so, then you have to live with the consequences which may involve you getting killed. Are you willing to die for the cause---whatever that cause may be? If so, then don't whine and complain when the actions of a few turn ugly while you stand around and allow yourself to be caught up in the violence.

Most people who are reasonably intelligent who want a peaceful protest, would leave when things turn ugly. For example, many of the so-called "peaceful protesters" are bringing kids in strollers to these events. If they are decent parents and they see things turning ugly, they would hightail it out of there for the sake of their kids. If you were a parent, you would understand.
LOL. You're talking to these people as if they're rational adults. They're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies