Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wow. Yeah, NYP, the ONE media outlet of NYC that's not fake news and will show the other side.

Just to think of all the property values dropping in those areas....wow.

I had no idea homeless are being HOUSED in hotels? Who is paying for all of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Isn't the Upper West Side one of the more desirable areas? Or maybe I should say "was." It's heartbreaking to watch New York slide back toward the dark days of the 1970s. But the old saying is ever true: those who don't remember their history are doomed to repeat it.
They do it in other cities as well:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/san-fr...utionary-tale/

I don't know what the rationale is with putting them in hotels. It's also very expensive. But mostly, it doesn't actually help anything. I think it was also done prior to the pandemic, so it's not only Covid related. It's one of the more misguided policies I've seen.

Yes, bus man, the neighborhood they mention in the article is considered desirable, generally, but it doesn't look that way any more. I haven't been into Manhattan since before the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Lock and load NY... long live Bernard Goetz.
I sure felt that way when Bernie Goetz led NYC's revival in 1984.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:33 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Good grief — ten sex offenders in the hotel one block from a play ground...

Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wow. Yeah, NYP, the ONE media outlet of NYC that's not fake news and will show the other side.

Just to think of all the property values dropping in those areas....wow.

I had no idea homeless are being HOUSED in hotels? Who is paying for all of that?
That's what Pelosi is holding out for and trying to get money for the democrats mismanagement in cities like NYC !!! She wants a blank check to cover everything not just pandemic related stuff !!!
Pelosi went full Wicked Witch of the North when ask about it by a liberal interviewer !!! No one could deny the the evil in Pelosi's expression and the venom in her verbal attack of the interviewer !!! Her normal look of a painted clown came off when she heard opinions that don't resemble her own !!!

Last edited by phma; 08-07-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-07-2020, 07:02 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I don't understand. New York city would be the city where one is least likely to catch coronavirus because so many people there have already had it. They're not at herd immunity levels there, but it's the closest you can find to that anywhere in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
It’s not just Covid. It’s the riots, the no-bail policies, releasing prison inmates early, etc. I moved out 5years ago, but one native resident friend who still lives there says she’s been a little scared lately. This is a tough Latina from Queens saying “scaredâ€, so I imagine it must have gotten fairly bad.
Swilliamsny got some of the reasons down. It is not just the wuhan virus, that was just the latest push to get people finally moving.

For instance, New York State already has some of the highest taxes and even NYC has its own income tax. Now that the Democrats have taken control of the State Senate they have complete control of the state government (great thinking my fellow New Yorkers ) so they passing or getting ready to pass pure stupidity like "bail reform" and a "billionaires tax".

A billionaires tax sounds good on paper until you drive out the billionaires and you actually collect less tax in the future. Then you pass a "millionaires tax" which looks good on paper until ......

The virus sped up technological change allowing more people to work remotely. Probably more than a few said to themselves I don't have to have put up NYC anymore.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:14 AM

133 posts, read 54,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Here in Lafayette Louisiana I’ve never seen so many New York plates (three in the past week) in my daily commute during a non Mardi Gras and festival season.
That's pretty gutsy to drive around that region of the country with NY plates.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:56 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Please dont let them move to the Carolinas, we have gotten too many transplants from NY/NJ over the last few decades messing up our great states.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 973,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course no one's bothered to check with movers around the country and/or the world about how many are wanting to move to NY. NYC has, does, and always will attract many people wishing to live there.
Someone is buying what the sellers are selling.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:36 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Looks like the Upper West Side is just lovely.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/hundre...ssment-to-uws/

I don't know who came up with the idea to place the 'homeless' in hotels. They are not simply homeless, i.e. people without homes. They are people with a lot of issues. Addiction being the main one, but also mental illness and repeat sex offenders.

So they put them up in a hotel, in a residential neighborhood? People like this need to be in FULLY STAFFED residential treatment facilities. Not in a hotel by night and wandering the streets by day. This is cruel, for the homeless and the residents. NYC needs someone like Giuliani back.

People need to get out of dodge. This will affect me because my home is in a commutable suburb. Once NYC loses its value, so does my home. But I am not able to leave at this point.
Wow that is shocking to read. UWS and specifically the Lucerne are my regular places, usually stay there twice a year. Very sad to imagine what the poor locals are going through. I hope it recovers.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
All the residential buildings of NYC could be half empty and it would still be insanely overcrowded. Shrinking a megacity of 8 million to a sustainable size will have include some anger any way it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies