Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:39 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course no one's bothered to check with movers around the country and/or the world about how many are wanting to move to NY. NYC has, does, and always will attract many people wishing to live there.

The problem for NYC isn't that the average Joe is moving into or out of the city.

The problem for NYC is the 1% earners that pay 50% of the taxes leaving in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
I saw the writing on the wall. I packed up 6 years ago and moved down to sunny Florida. I have really enjoyed it.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:37 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Looks like the Upper West Side is just lovely.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/hundre...ssment-to-uws/

I don't know who came up with the idea to place the 'homeless' in hotels. They are not simply homeless, i.e. people without homes. They are people with a lot of issues. Addiction being the main one, but also mental illness and repeat sex offenders.

So they put them up in a hotel, in a residential neighborhood? People like this need to be in FULLY STAFFED residential treatment facilities. Not in a hotel by night and wandering the streets by day. This is cruel, for the homeless and the residents. NYC needs someone like Giuliani back.

People need to get out of dodge. This will affect me because my home is in a commutable suburb. Once NYC loses its value, so does my home. But I am not able to leave at this point.
A town in California added up what was being spent on the homeless. They discovered renting an entire old hotel and staffing it with people who could do job training, gving required medications, etc. cost less than half of what was being spent on cops, ERs and jails.

In a years time, the homless were holding down jobs and getting their own housing.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A town in California added up what was being spent on the homeless. They discovered renting an entire old hotel and staffing it with people who could do job training, gving required medications, etc. cost less than half of what was being spent on cops, ERs and jails.

In a years time, the homless were holding down jobs and getting their own housing.
I'd be curious to see what they did that is different from what clearly isn't working here, and elsewhere. It sounds like they turned a hotel into a properly staffed treatment facility. Such a facility probably also has structured day programs, so people aren't wandering the streets as they are here, and got approved to be in that community, with licensing and permits etc. In which case, I'm all for it.

Here they are putting sex offenders near a playground, which is against the law:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/nyc-il...de-playground/

What family in their right mind wouldn't leave? And then who pays for the services when taxpayers leave?

"The homeless" is too vague a term, though. It could mean anything from a stable person who just got evicted, to sex offender, to someone with severe untreated mental illness. Their needs are completely different. In NYC, it sounds like they are recklessly warehousing people, and endangering the community. And contributing to the death spiral of the city.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:34 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wow. Yeah, NYP, the ONE media outlet of NYC that's not fake news and will show the other side.

Just to think of all the property values dropping in those areas....wow.

I had no idea homeless are being HOUSED in hotels? Who is paying for all of that?
All of the dumbasses who kept voting Dem. And, unfortunately, everyone else whose interests aren't being represented by the Dem elected officials.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:39 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
I can believe that with the Nazi governor and Nazi mayor of NYC, pretty soon they will quarantine all the citizens of NYC and order them not to leave. Sort of a reverse quarantine as they have now. they will be like East Germany before the Wall came down.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:57 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Someone is buying what the sellers are selling.
Corp investors are buying, and turning NYC into 1 massive rental community.

Renters are seldom as good as owners for a community. It will push property values down as the neighborhoods become too heavily saturated with rental property's.

Get out now!

Old 08-08-2020, 07:08 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I had left a comment on page one of this thread where I suggested that as NYC clears out that investors will move in to buy the vacant properties for pennies on the dollar.

I wonder if this could happen. Biden wins in November sending Trump back to what he does best and as the crime increases and more people leave the city he starts buying up property if the Left would then blame him for orchestrating ,from the Oval office, the issues that have triggered this mass exodus from the city. Who am I kidding? Of course they would accuse him of becoming the President so he could create the "crisis" that led to this big mess so he and his rich buddies can profit off of it...

Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wow. Yeah, NYP, the ONE media outlet of NYC that's not fake news and will show the other side.

Just to think of all the property values dropping in those areas....wow.

I had no idea homeless are being HOUSED in hotels? Who is paying for all of that?
139 hotels being used to house homeless in the city, a source connected to the Hotel Association of New York City told The Post.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent on the relocations, the source said — 75 percent of it paid for by FEMA and 25 percent by the city, a breakdown confirmed by city officials.

That means that US Citizens are paying for most of this free luxury housing for the home,ex’s in New York City.
It’s not just the typical homeless in this case ... common and DeBlasio have been emptying out New York prisons and jails for months now. Many of these people are criminals.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:08 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
Democratic leadership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies