Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:30 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,167,649 times

Advertisements

If one is terrified, I don't think nothing is going to make them safe.

I, personally - do not know, anyone who is "terrified" of Covid.

Most are taking precautions - PERSONAL responsibility, at most.

Terrified - No...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 02:32 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
When the Media and Democrats stop making the gullible and weak minded panic and act irrationally.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Any vaccine no matter how effective?

The entire country shut down for a year?

Close all stores and have only online shopping?

Daily testing and can only leave the house if negative?

At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?

Asking because a 10 year old just committed suicide from social isolation.
How long would he have had to wait for you to stop being scared? Another week> 4 years> how long???

Children who commit suicide have severe mental health issues that may be aggravated by social situations but it rarely is that one instance.

And not one parent of small children I know has completely isolated their kids. They all adapted bubbles, created outdoor play situations for their kids.

And in the mean time....at no time were all stores closed (and how does that help a child with mental health issues)........

Nobody is terrified.....folks are concerned, thoughtful, careful.

You might be overly emotional right now.........and that is understandable.

Kids need socialization, kids need schools........but kids also need to be safe and their parents and caregivers need to be safe.

Each one of us has to balance our mental and physical healthy and that of our family's mental and physical health.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote formatting

Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When the Media and Democrats stop making the gullible and weak minded panic and act irrationally.
I have seen zero examples of panic. Lots of adapting to new normals to try to mitigate the spread of the virus.

THe drama seems to be made up in conservative pundit world to make you all think folks are panicking.

Nobody is panicking.

Just doing what we can in those areas that are seeing a high percentage of positive cases, to keep ourselves and our families as safe as we can.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:39 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have seen zero examples of panic. Lots of adapting to new normals to try to mitigate the spread of the virus.

THe drama seems to be made up in conservative pundit world to make you all think folks are panicking.

Nobody is panicking.

Just doing what we can in those areas that are seeing a high percentage of positive cases, to keep ourselves and our families as safe as we can.
Everyone reacts differently.

I definitely miss some parts of the old normal... coffee shops, bars with live music, visiting family in person mostly. To some people those are intolerable restrictions so they're just going to do them anyway. E.g., my mom's neighborhood there's the party animals. Multi-generational household, partying like normal. They've already got gramps killed anyway so why stop having 20 people over to party three nights a week? Where I live there's different extremes. My next door neighbors are on complete lockdown, as in they never go out of the house for anything. Get groceries delivered, both work from home. There's the 20-30 something roommates who are coming and going but not throwing parties like they normally do. There's the Mormons who occasionally have small family gatherings but much less than normal. There's the MAGAs who have big parties infrequently where everyone shows up and blocks my driveway just like they've always done.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-10-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 02:40 PM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I haven't seen any panic. Zero. None. The only irrational acts I've seen are people not wearing masks and not social distancing.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?
When the local public health officials deem that it's ok to do so.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:46 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
If one is terrified, I don't think nothing is going to make them safe.

I, personally - do not know, anyone who is "terrified" of Covid.

Most are taking precautions - PERSONAL responsibility, at most.

Terrified - No...
I agree. I'm 70 with several co-morbidities. I use the recommended precautions, but I frequently go shopping as well. I also take walks in the neighborhood and work in my yard without a mask. I've never been "terrified" of Covid, just concerned and prepped to protect myself as much as possible.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:46 PM

376 posts, read 103,072 times
If I had to guess, a fair number of people would feel much better with a full and complete shutdown until November 3, 2020. Just a guess, but I think it might be a very good one.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'd like to see the US deaths consistently fall below 500 a day, for a couple weeks.

And hospitalizations level way back down.

I do think we'll have a real turning point at the end of August, where we'll either be well on the way to reopening, or we'll realize this thing is going to take a vaccine to get rid of it.

And yes, I do agree with you about what this is doing to our young people. I'm a youth group leader, and we met socially distanced for the first time yesterday since this thing started, and we were shocked at how sullen and listless this group of usually extremely active and social children are. This is definitely hurting them - they describe it as 'boredom' themselves, but they look paralyzed by anxiety to me.
First real answer. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies