Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
First real answer. Thank you.
So...what are your answers to your own questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP --- You should have concerns about this virus. How old are you? Do you have any pre-existing health conditions? Even if you don't, there are many young and healthy people who have died from this.

What answers are you expecting?

The entire country shut down for a year? We couldn't even shut down for 2 weeks. The only way for the country to totally shut down for even 2 weeks would be to take a page from the Chicoms who made everybody go into their homes, then bolted them in. I hear they did allow a slot for food to be delivered. We know that wouldn't have been tolerated here.

Close all stores and have only online shopping? We saw how that turned out. Where I live, people were waiting 2 weeks just to have food delivered.

Daily testing? Most places are still having issues with that. Making people stay inside if they test positive? How is that going to work?

Terrified and angry at those who are not afraid? What good will that do? If they get sick, it's on them. It does concern me that they may ending up infecting an elderly family member or a family member with a compromised immune system. I feel bad for anyone who is infected in that manner.

When will I go about my life without masks, gloves and social distancing? For me, it's a two part answer: 1) When the vaccine comes and I get a shot; then 2) I will wear a mask, gloves and social distance until I develop immunity.
Second real answer.

If the vaccine is not mandatory does that make a difference?

Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM

376 posts, read 102,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
When the local public health officials deem that it's ok to do so.
They said in March it was okay to do so. In March they said masks were silly.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Second real answer.

If the vaccine is not mandatory does that make a difference?
For me, it makes no real difference. I know that there are those who won't want to get vaccinated. That's on them.

However, further elaborating on this, I do think that schools will require all students and staff to be vaccinated as young kids can't be counted on to always wash their hands or wear their masks. Maybe some employers will require their employees be vaccinated---for example, food service workers and health care workers.

I've let family members know that we will get vaccinated and won't visit in person with them until that time. FWIW, my extended family members are all for the vaccine.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:58 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,853 times
Widespread deployment and adoption of an clinically tested effective vaccine, similar to what this country has been able to accomplish many times in the past when science and a greater public welfare was considered more important than petty political grievances.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
When the local public health officials deem that it's ok to do so.
If they told you tomorrow it's all good ... you'd leave the house with no mask, and if a stranger offered you a handshake you would accept?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:04 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
I'm not terrified at all. But I would be very happy the day Europe and Asia allows me to travel there again. And don't talk about my governor who has no control over that. For international travel, I'm completely at the mercy of the idiots in this country.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,949 times
Quote:
Any vaccine no matter how effective?

The entire country shut down for a year?

Close all stores and have only online shopping?

Daily testing and can only leave the house if negative?

At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?

Asking because a 10 year old just committed suicide from social isolation.
How long would he have had to wait for you to stop being scared? Another week> 4 years> how long???
More testing that is quick without having to present with symptoms or have a family member who is sick. There are free COVID sites in Houston, but it’s an all day ordeal. I’m afraid to catch it, but more so that I would not pass it to my mother.
Mandatory masks too. Nearly ALL in my hometown are using mask because of the very high percentage of positive cases, ICUs and deaths.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-10-2020 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote formatting

Old 08-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
More testing that is quick without having to present with symptoms or have a family member who is sick. There are free COVID sites in Houston, but it’s an all day ordeal. I’m afraid to catch it, but more so that I would not pass it to my mother.
Mandatory masks too. Nearly ALL in my hometown are using mask because of the very high percentage of positive cases, ICUs and deaths.
What would the point of testing be? If everyone is positive, everything would open back up? Not sure I understand.

And you want mandatory masks forever?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Widespread deployment and adoption of an clinically tested effective vaccine, similar to what this country has been able to accomplish many times in the past when science and a greater public welfare was considered more important than petty political grievances.
So things only go back to normal when a mandatory vaccine has been given to the entire country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies