Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:21 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You have changed your lifestyle:

Ordering my groceries and sundries, working from a home office, and avoiding travel will likely be long-term for me. Wearing a mask while in close contact with people who are not members of my household is probably permanent. I don’t see myself ever getting on an airplane, attending a concert, shopping at a department store, or going out to eat again.

Why? Because of fear of getting sick. If you were not afraid, you wouldn't have changed anything.
We can argue semantics if you like, but I maintain that my lifestyle change reflects my desire to avoid infection. I’m not sitting here in my house quaking with fear; I’m doing what is necessary to ensure my continued good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 06:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No vaccine is 100% effective. I will take the vaccine, but I will continue to use precautions until there is evidence that the number of people taking it is high enough to interrupt circulation of the virus. If herd immunity is achieved, feel free to leech off of it while the rest of us accept whatever risks there may be from the vaccine. Just realize that by trying to convince others to not vaccinate you are jeopardizing that herd immunity and increasing your own risk of getting infected.

Exactly, and the more they do that, the longer this "new normal" will last........Not to mention, they could end up like the unfortunate few who are in the ICU on a ventilator when it's too late to realize this is not a "hoax" (RIP Herman Caine and countless others).

Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
And what would make me feel safer is an end to the constant caterwauling (strictly for political purposes) by the "blame it on Trump" crowd; last time around I registered my disappointment in Trump by voting for Gary Johnson and the Libertarians, but you can bet that this time, my vote (which will go to Trump) is motivated by the necessity of keeping the Leftist whiners out. And I suspect I'll have plenty of company.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetV123 View Post
New leadership from the top would make me feel safe.
Ok, so they day a new president is elected you will throw off your and go give your neighbor a hug?

Old 08-13-2020, 06:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No vaccine is 100% effective. I will take the vaccine, but I will continue to use precautions until there is evidence that the number of people taking it is high enough to interrupt circulation of the virus. If herd immunity is achieved, feel free to leech off of it while the rest of us accept whatever risks there may be from the vaccine. Just realize that by trying to convince others to not vaccinate you are jeopardizing that herd immunity and increasing your own risk of getting infected.
You mean like post #94 on page 10 of this thread where I said this:

If anyone wants to wear a mask, go ahead.
If people don't want to hang out with others, that's their choice.
If anyone wants a vaccine go for it, just don't force others to do so.

Stop lying about what I post suzy. Your smoke and mirrors attempts are tiresome.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 AM

2,774 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
The irony is ppl like the op are the ones who are afraid. He and other right wingers are so terrified they'll detach themselves from reality that this virus is a real problem, because that is the only time when they truly feel safe. They're the ones playing the violin as the Titanic sinks.
I don't think you are correct here. Just one example, my sister in law has been scared to death and believes everything she hears on NPR (her only source of news) about the China Virus. It's sad, but what is sadder is she an outraged at her sister, my wife, because she isn't cowering in the house looking for the boogie man around every corner. My wife, like myself, knows the numbers are inflated and the China Virus has been hijacked by the hate filled democrats and MSM to suppress the economy hoping it will hurt President Trump's chances of winning in November. She's golfing this morning. I will be getting a massage later today from my therapist like I have since the China Virus began. We will be having unmasked, undistanced lunch with our friends tomorrow at our house. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of contracting the China Virus and even if you contract it, the recovery rate is between 97 and 99.75%. I'm not afraid of getting the China Virus. Nice attempt at projection, but simpler minds than mine can see right through your ruse.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:54 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You mean like post #94 on page 10 of this thread where I said this:

If anyone wants to wear a mask, go ahead.
If people don't want to hang out with others, that's their choice.
If anyone wants a vaccine go for it, just don't force others to do so.

Stop lying about what I post suzy. Your smoke and mirrors attempts are tiresome.
Saying for "anyone [who] wants a vaccine [to] go for it" is not the same as encouraging others to take it.

That would be saying, "I do not plan to take it myself, but I hope that anyone with no contraindications will take it."

Old 08-13-2020, 09:34 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetV123 View Post
New leadership from the top would make me feel safe.
Try Rum. Blame china cause that's where it came from.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I know some people who are terrified and they want everything locked down until COVID goes away!!!!! others are waiting for a vaccine

I wish everything gets back to normal soon. This isolation doesn't do any good. It is much worse than COVID. It is not even sustainable. People won't take it for a long period of time.
No way. You're all out WRONG! I'd far,far rather be isolated than sick with covid. With covid I could be too sick to feel like conversing with friends and relatives on the phone or watch a movie, read a book, take care of my pets and so on. Or end up in the hospital in far worse horrible isolated condition.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:00 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
My state mandates masks and social distancing. We've been wearing them for months. Our numbers are good. And it's just not a big deal wearing masks. I'm with Biden calling for mandatory masks. It does seem to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies