Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:48 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I will likely be wearing a mask for the next few years. It would have been nice if people just followed common sense and wore masks and stopped seeing people outside of their household or their essential jobs/tasks in April, but we have a whole bunch of people in this country who value their "freedom" over the economic or physical health of the country.

I can't control the general public, but I can control my general social life. All of my close friends (i.e. those who I see on a regular basis) have registered for the covid vaccine trials if one is available in their area. I expect they, like me, will be first in line to get the vaccine.

I absolutely will not see family if they do not get the vaccine. It's the same policy I had toward the flu vaccine. I suspect the vaccine will not be 100% effective, since virtually no vaccine is. People who choose not to get the vaccine are putting me and my loved ones at risk, whether or not I have the vaccine.
Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 12:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I admit that I am terrified of catching it because it looks pretty awful. However, I'm not too crazy. I wear a mask when within 6 feet of people and hope for the best.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:46 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?
I’m not angry. What good would it do to be angry? We’re all caught in the same whirlpool of uncertainty, and we each have our own way of coping. I choose to be patient and compassionate.

I do not see myself ever returning to my pre-COVID lifestyle. I have come to peace with a smaller social footprint and enjoying time at home. Ordering my groceries and sundries, working from a home office, and avoiding travel will likely be long-term for me. Wearing a mask while in close contact with people who are not members of my household is probably permanent. I don’t see myself ever getting on an airplane, attending a concert, shopping at a department store, or going out to eat again.

I have to wonder, though, why does any individual’s post-COVID lifestyle bother you so much, OP? Is it really an issue if somebody chooses to use a mask and avoid large social gatherings for the rest of their life?

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-12-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
I’m not angry. What good would it do to be angry? We’re all caught in the same whirlpool of uncertainty, and we each have our own way of coping. I choose to be patient and compassionate.

I do not see myself ever returning to my pre-COVID lifestyle. I have come to peace with a smaller social footprint and enjoying time at home. Ordering my groceries and sundries, working from a home office, and avoiding travel will likely be long-term for me. Wearing a mask while in close contact with people who are not members of my household is probably permanent. I don’t see myself ever getting on an airplane, attending a concert, shopping at a department store, or going out to eat again.

I have to wonder, though, why does any individual’s post-COVID lifestyle bother you so much, OP? Is it really an issue if somebody chooses to use a mask and avoid large social gatherings for the rest of their life?
I don't mind what other people do at all (unless it's bad things, obviously).

I'm just concerned with mandates. As in everyone must wear a mask forever, social distance forever, mandatory vaccination, etc.

If anyone wants to wear a mask, go ahead.
If people don't want to hang out with others, that's their choice.
If anyone wants a vaccine go for it, just don't force others to do so.

And I wonder at what point will we see things getting to our TRUE normal? What is the objective endpoint that people can agree on as return to normal?

For you, as you indicated, it's never.

I don't want to be in NEVER. That's not living. That's fear on a daily basis.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:31 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I admit that I am terrified of catching it because it looks pretty awful. However, I'm not too crazy. I wear a mask when within 6 feet of people and hope for the best.
I wear the mask to try and stop the spread, I avoid crowds, I carry hand sanitizer with me. I try to follow the directions of experts. What idiocy has brought us to this point where people think they can ignore PHD’s?

It’s pure insanity.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:53 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I'm concerned but not at all terrified because there are things I can do to protect myself. Stay at home most of the time. Wear a mask when I am out in public and around other people. Avoid public gatherings of more than 4-5 people. Practice social distancing. Wash my hands frequently. Don't casually invite people into my home. Know what the symptoms are. Use resources available for pre-screening if I have concerns or symptoms. Get tested if I need to.

I had a "wet" cough for 4+ weeks that would not go away and no known reason or other symptoms. I did a pre-screen because I saw where there is a wet-cough variant of Covid19. The screen came back as acute bronchitis -- a persistant chest cold. I got some Rx meds and I keep going. I'm over 70 and was in Europe in March but dodged that bullet. There is no terror but there is informed caution. I don't personally know anyone with Covid19 and really only know a few that have been tested. My state has a 3% positive rate on tests so we are doing something right (in spite of our crazy neighboring states).

Old 08-12-2020, 05:03 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I don't mind what other people do at all (unless it's bad things, obviously).

I'm just concerned with mandates. As in everyone must wear a mask forever, social distance forever, mandatory vaccination, etc.

If anyone wants to wear a mask, go ahead.
If people don't want to hang out with others, that's their choice.
If anyone wants a vaccine go for it, just don't force others to do so.

And I wonder at what point will we see things getting to our TRUE normal? What is the objective endpoint that people can agree on as return to normal?

For you, as you indicated, it's never.

I don't want to be in NEVER. That's not living. That's fear on a daily basis.
It’s not fear; it’s resolve. I am happy and content with my lifestyle. I have certainly not stopped living.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:46 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
The irony is ppl like the op are the ones who are afraid. He and other right wingers are so terrified they'll detach themselves from reality that this virus is a real problem, because that is the only time when they truly feel safe. They're the ones playing the violin as the Titanic sinks.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
The irony is ppl like the op are the ones who are afraid. He and other right wingers are so terrified they'll detach themselves from reality that this virus is a real problem, because that is the only time when they truly feel safe. They're the ones playing the violin as the Titanic sinks.
Epic fail. 0 for 3.

Not afraid.

Not a right winger.

Not a male.

Maybe answer the question instead of flinging what YOU perceive as insults.

When will YOU go back to normal? Never?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
It’s not fear; it’s resolve. I am happy and content with my lifestyle. I have certainly not stopped living.
You have changed your lifestyle:

Ordering my groceries and sundries, working from a home office, and avoiding travel will likely be long-term for me. Wearing a mask while in close contact with people who are not members of my household is probably permanent. I don’t see myself ever getting on an airplane, attending a concert, shopping at a department store, or going out to eat again.

Why? Because of fear of getting sick. If you were not afraid, you wouldn't have changed anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies