Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 02:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It means widespread distribution.

https://www.google.com/search?q=depl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Deployment:

"the action of bringing resources into effective action"

If you do not want it to be mandatory you should hope everyone else in the world is willing to take it. If they do, then there is no need to make it mandatory. If too few take it and herd immunity is not achieved, then it will be mandatory.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by ranting against a coronavirus vaccine that is not even available yet.
Yes, you won't feel safe unless you and everyone else get a vaccine. Got it. You answered the question.

I have no desire t take a vaccine I don't need. But that's not the QUESTION OF THIS THREAD.

The question is: When will people feel safe enough to go about their lives again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 03:26 AM

37,103 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yes, you won't feel safe unless you and everyone else get a vaccine. Got it. You answered the question.

I have no desire t take a vaccine I don't need. But that's not the QUESTION OF THIS THREAD.

The question is: When will people feel safe enough to go about their lives again?
The question is why are you lobbying against everyone else taking a coronavirus vaccine?

If you do not want it to be mandatory you should be shouting from the rooftops for everyone else to please take it.

I answered your question already.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58882483-post77.html

"For me, personally, a vaccine will make me feel safer, but I will not modify my behavior (it is not going to be 100% effective) until there is evidence that the virus is not widely circulating."

Old 08-12-2020, 03:43 AM

So for those who answered the question (without trying to hijack the thread with their own agendas), it seems that there were 2 basic answers:

vaccine
fewer deaths per day

Does that mean that everyone is committed to being in various stages of freedom restriction -- no work/school/mask wearing/no seeing friends/etc -- until either of those happen because they remain afraid of getting COVID?

Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 AM

For me:

Vaccine

Fewer cases

Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For me:

Vaccine

Fewer cases
If you are vaccined, then you don't have to worry that I am not. Your covered.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:35 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
So for those who answered the question (without trying to hijack the thread with their own agendas), it seems that there were 2 basic answers:

vaccine
fewer deaths per day

Does that mean that everyone is committed to being in various stages of freedom restriction -- no work/school/mask wearing/no seeing friends/etc -- until either of those happen because they remain afraid of getting COVID?

I listed 3 different metric levels.

For specific metrics (safe to welcome boyfriend into home/safe to see socially distanced friends and family/safe in general with a mask i.e. for indoor dining, going to my office, etc)
- ICU headroom used at 25%/10%/<5%
- New cases per 100,000 people at 10/5/1
- Contact tracing at 90%/95%/100% in 2 days
- Average test return at 48 hours/ 48 hours/ <24 hours

Yes, I have stuck to them. I only go to work to do tasks I can accomplish outdoors, and work requires that I am tested every time I set foot on campus. People who are on campus full time are tested twice a week with results back within 48 hours, and you must wear a mask everywhere - including outdoors - unless you have a personal office with doors that shut. My desk is in a cubical, so I will not be in the office until there we meet that third set of goals. The head of my department has requested that none of us come to the office unless necessary until 2021.

I was by myself for 85 days before we hit that first set of metrics. It's not so much fear for myself - though I am high risk - but concern of passing the disease to my boyfriend who would pass it to his two elderly parents who he employs as well as other at-risk employees at his essential small business.

I see a handful of friends now, but only people who are taking the same precautions as I am (we discuss it). If we take off our masks to eat, we move to 10 feet away even if outdoors. I do not mix groups of friends in a 2 week period - if I see friend A and B, I will not see friend C and D until 2 weeks have passed or I've had a negative test.

It's just common courtesy and basic respect. It's also out of concern for my grandmother. She is almost 90 and I am her primary caretaker. I have set her up with Facebook messenger video chats, but have not seen her in person since March because I do not believe it is safe, and also because she is not taking precautions herself and is a risk to me. I have explained this all to her, but if she chooses to welcome people into her home without masks then I am not able to be present except for an emergency. If there is an emergency, my current lifestyle is geared toward protecting her and my uncle who currently is in treatment for stage IV cancer.

I haven't seen my niece and nephew in 6 months. Their parents are hosting parties where no one wears a mask, including my nephew's 1st birthday party with many different families with children and 0 masks. Because of that irresponsibility, I will not see them at all until there is a vaccine. My parents had planned a visit in the spring and they will not be able to see their grandchildren until a vaccine as well as they are both high risk, one with high blood pressure, the other with kidney disease.

While yes, I limit my interactions with others due to my own risk, I cannot imagine exposing my loved ones to additional risk. Then again, I couldn't have imagined that my loved ones - like my brother & SIL - being willing to expose so many of their loved ones at risk. I guess dealing with boredom is more important.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I listed 3 different metric levels.

For specific metrics (safe to welcome boyfriend into home/safe to see socially distanced friends and family/safe in general with a mask i.e. for indoor dining, going to my office, etc)
- ICU headroom used at 25%/10%/<5%
- New cases per 100,000 people at 10/5/1
- Contact tracing at 90%/95%/100% in 2 days
- Average test return at 48 hours/ 48 hours/ <24 hours

Yes, I have stuck to them. I only go to work to do tasks I can accomplish outdoors, and work requires that I am tested every time I set foot on campus. People who are on campus full time are tested twice a week with results back within 48 hours, and you must wear a mask everywhere - including outdoors - unless you have a personal office with doors that shut. My desk is in a cubical, so I will not be in the office until there we meet that third set of goals. The head of my department has requested that none of us come to the office unless necessary until 2021.

I was by myself for 85 days before we hit that first set of metrics. It's not so much fear for myself - though I am high risk - but concern of passing the disease to my boyfriend who would pass it to his two elderly parents who he employs as well as other at-risk employees at his essential small business.

I see a handful of friends now, but only people who are taking the same precautions as I am (we discuss it). If we take off our masks to eat, we move to 10 feet away even if outdoors. I do not mix groups of friends in a 2 week period - if I see friend A and B, I will not see friend C and D until 2 weeks have passed or I've had a negative test.

It's just common courtesy and basic respect. It's also out of concern for my grandmother. She is almost 90 and I am her primary caretaker. I have set her up with Facebook messenger video chats, but have not seen her in person since March because I do not believe it is safe, and also because she is not taking precautions herself and is a risk to me. I have explained this all to her, but if she chooses to welcome people into her home without masks then I am not able to be present except for an emergency. If there is an emergency, my current lifestyle is geared toward protecting her and my uncle who currently is in treatment for stage IV cancer.

I haven't seen my niece and nephew in 6 months. Their parents are hosting parties where no one wears a mask, including my nephew's 1st birthday party with many different families with children and 0 masks. Because of that irresponsibility, I will not see them at all until there is a vaccine. My parents had planned a visit in the spring and they will not be able to see their grandchildren until a vaccine as well as they are both high risk, one with high blood pressure, the other with kidney disease.

While yes, I limit my interactions with others due to my own risk, I cannot imagine exposing my loved ones to additional risk. Then again, I couldn't have imagined that my loved ones - like my brother & SIL - being willing to expose so many of their loved ones at risk. I guess dealing with boredom is more important.
Are you going to poll everyone and only be around those who also have a vaccine?

If your family doesn't all get the vaccine, will you still refuse to see them?

Again: At what point will you go back to fully normal?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you are vaccined, then you don't have to worry that I am not. Your covered.
No vaccine is 100% effective. I will take the vaccine, but I will continue to use precautions until there is evidence that the number of people taking it is high enough to interrupt circulation of the virus. If herd immunity is achieved, feel free to leech off of it while the rest of us accept whatever risks there may be from the vaccine. Just realize that by trying to convince others to not vaccinate you are jeopardizing that herd immunity and increasing your own risk of getting infected.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:04 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Are you going to poll everyone and only be around those who also have a vaccine?

If your family doesn't all get the vaccine, will you still refuse to see them?

Again: At what point will you go back to fully normal?

I will likely be wearing a mask for the next few years. It would have been nice if people just followed common sense and wore masks and stopped seeing people outside of their household or their essential jobs/tasks in April, but we have a whole bunch of people in this country who value their "freedom" over the economic or physical health of the country.

I can't control the general public, but I can control my general social life. All of my close friends (i.e. those who I see on a regular basis) have registered for the covid vaccine trials if one is available in their area. I expect they, like me, will be first in line to get the vaccine.

I absolutely will not see family if they do not get the vaccine. It's the same policy I had toward the flu vaccine. I suspect the vaccine will not be 100% effective, since virtually no vaccine is. People who choose not to get the vaccine are putting me and my loved ones at risk, whether or not I have the vaccine.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:05 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
A president who wasn't incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies