Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Any vaccine no matter how effective?

The entire country shut down for a year?

Close all stores and have only online shopping?

Daily testing and can only leave the house if negative?

At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?

Asking because a 10 year old just committed suicide from social isolation.
How long would he have had to wait for you to stop being scared? Another week> 4 years> how long???
As long as necessary.

Economy isn't shut down. YOY, it's down 10%. That's bad. Really bad. But 90% of the economy is open for business. It's a huge plunge down to have a YOY decline of 10% but really what matters is whether it continues to contract which would be devastating or drags along at 90%. At this point it's pretty obvious it's not going to recover tomorrow. I doubt you'll see any recovery at all until 2021, but I also doubt you'll see it plunge at the same rate. E.g., Q3 2020 and Q4 will probably be in the 90% YOY ballpark and not 80% for Q3 and 70% for Q4 YOY. That's just my crystal ball though, and certainly it could be defective.

Pipe dreams about miracle cures or miracle vaccines are pipe dreams to me. Maybe in 2021 there's an effective vaccine or a miracle cure. I wouldn't count on it though. More likely we go about life as we are going about it right now with masks and social distancing for 2021. We've collectively decided that we don't want to contain it as most of the rest of the world did so that's just the current reality. Maybe it changes, probably it doesn't.

2022 I'm more optimistic for. By then I think we'll have burned through the worst of it. That makes the assumption that there's some partial immunity. I think we'll see things like schools open up for the 2021-2022 school year, maybe part way though it. Whether you have things like nightclubs, crowded bars maybe maybe not but most aspects of life will be open with modifications. More retail will be open with precautions in place with masks and social distancing. Again, that's absent the miracle vaccine or cure which is less of a miracle at that point but not a given.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-10-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
So, no real answers so far. Why are we not surprised?
Toss out a real question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
True leadership with a plan to deal with it.
Bingo! Sad that you have to mention it.

And ... Everyone wears a mask indoors. No exceptions. If you can't wear a mask, stay home

Old 08-10-2020, 02:13 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I'll feel safe when the Coronavirus just "goes away" like our so called president promised us that it would.
"So called president" He's been president since January 2017, like it or not. You need to get over it.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:20 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Because the questions are stupid, that is why.

Put anything else in place of "COVID", it would still be stupid questions.
The question is not stupid.

It's realistic.

At what point will people just live their lives again?

Is the answer so far ... never? Nothing will make you feel safe enough to go back to the way it was before COVID?

Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"So called president" He's been president since January 2017, like it or not. You need to get over it.
Thanks for reminding me, it's time to update my ignore list.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I'd feel better if at least 90% of Americans were choosing to do the right things (masks, distancing, handwashing, not packing into bars ffs).

I'm not scared of the virus as our family is not high risk, but I'm concerned for others and scared that if Americans do not start doing the right things and stop all the freaking whining that we'll never get out from under this. I've got places to go and things to do. Quit your damn whining!
Well, what would make you go back to the way you were living before COVID?

Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Any vaccine no matter how effective?

The entire country shut down for a year?

Close all stores and have only online shopping?

Daily testing and can only leave the house if negative?

At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?

Asking because a 10 year old just committed suicide from social isolation.
How long would he have had to wait for you to stop being scared? Another week> 4 years> how long???
OP --- You should have concerns about this virus. How old are you? Do you have any pre-existing health conditions? Even if you don't, there are many young and healthy people who have died from this.

What answers are you expecting?

The entire country shut down for a year? We couldn't even shut down for 2 weeks. The only way for the country to totally shut down for even 2 weeks would be to take a page from the Chicoms who made everybody go into their homes, then bolted them in. I hear they did allow a slot for food to be delivered. We know that wouldn't have been tolerated here.

Close all stores and have only online shopping? We saw how that turned out. Where I live, people were waiting 2 weeks just to have food delivered.

Daily testing? Most places are still having issues with that. Making people stay inside if they test positive? How is that going to work?

Terrified and angry at those who are not afraid? What good will that do? If they get sick, it's on them. It does concern me that they may ending up infecting an elderly family member or a family member with a compromised immune system. I feel bad for anyone who is infected in that manner.

When will I go about my life without masks, gloves and social distancing? For me, it's a two part answer: 1) When the vaccine comes and I get a shot; then 2) I will wear a mask, gloves and social distance until I develop immunity.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote formatting

Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
True leadership with a plan to deal with it.
You do know this I'm sure as it has been mentioned several times in this forum --- It's up to each state to formulate a plan for dealing with this. Thus, if you're not happy with what your governor is doing, then vote him/her out.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
For me personally, I will feel a lot safer when I've been vaccinated. Even if it's not a perfect vaccine (the yearly flu vaccine isn't 100% effective), the fact that my immune system has been primed to some extent will make me feel a lot safer.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not terrified of Covid, most people i know are not terrified of Covid, so it's a loaded question, strawman.

I got one for you, when will you stop sh#@tting in your pants every time you see a protest by non white people.
Where are all the protests with only non-white people happening? Every protest/riot I've seen has mostly, if not all, white people in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies