Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 07:04 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have seen zero examples of panic. Lots of adapting to new normals to try to mitigate the spread of the virus.

THe drama seems to be made up in conservative pundit world to make you all think folks are panicking.

Nobody is panicking.

Just doing what we can in those areas that are seeing a high percentage of positive cases, to keep ourselves and our families as safe as we can.
Zero signs of panic!!!

This thing got kicked off with a toilet paper shortage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Because people are not terrified. Everything in the first post is an exaggeration like most clickbait on these forums. He can't even dig up the incident that he tries to use to justify the post so people can fact check.

Some people know their personal health risks and live more conservatively. Others should be considerate for those who are not well enough to fight off the disease or for businesses who struggle because of the large number of infections. Do you want businesses to shut down because you and others infect other people? Studies have shown infection hot spots kill business even more than lockdowns.
Can you answer the question?

When will YOU feel safe and not wear a mask or social distance?

What do YOU need to see/hear/be told?

Do you have an answer? Or do you want to live the way we are now... FOREVER?

Old 08-10-2020, 07:38 PM

521 posts, read 292,910 times
I know some people who are terrified and they want everything locked down until COVID goes away!!!!! others are waiting for a vaccine

I wish everything gets back to normal soon. This isolation doesn't do any good. It is much worse than COVID. It is not even sustainable. People won't take it for a long period of time.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Well I’m sure that 10 year old had pre-existing conditions, as the COVID deniers insist anyone who dies from it does. Or should I say “dies” because it’s all one big global hoax just to get back at Trump for being so awesome and they’re all jus’ jealous.

Anyway, I’m not “terrified” and I don’t personally know anyone who is terrified and since the posters on this board affirm that “not personally knowing” anyone with the disease is proof that it doesn’t exist therefore being terrified doesn’t exist either.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I know some people who are terrified and they want everything locked down until COVID goes away!!!!! others are waiting for a vaccine

I wish everything gets back to normal soon. This isolation doesn't do any good. It is much worse than COVID. It is not even sustainable. People won't take it for a long period of time.
Is there a definition of "COVID goes away"?

Do we know what that means objectively? What is the endpoint?

Or are we all just stuck in government limbo?

Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Any vaccine no matter how effective?

The entire country shut down for a year?

Close all stores and have only online shopping?

Daily testing and can only leave the house if negative?

At WHAT POINT will you stop being terrified and angry at those who aren't afraid?

At WHAT POINT will you go about your life without a mask/gloves/distancing?
Come on now, at least 1/4 of the country will be ready to get back to normal provided Trump loses on 11/04, then it will be time to put the kids back in school and get the economy going again.
That way Joe and Sheniqua can take credit for making everything better.

`

Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I would feel safer if people, including the people on this thread and the OP, showed basic respect and concern for our nation and each other.

Wear a mask. Socially distance. Wash your hands. Don't throw parties in the backyard.

Other countries have shut this down. We, as a society, decided we wanted to crash our economy because the "freedom" of not wearing a mask was more important. Those same people are now angry at why we can't reopen schools, despite making choices that ensured that result.

Of course other ways to feel safe are:
- a vaccine, even one that's only as effective as the flu shot or requires boosters
- 100% masking compliance
- a general understanding that the options are not death or recovery
- broad availability of rapid testing - even 48 hours is too long and many parts of the country have a week long wait time
- consequences for breaking quarantine - if you get a symptomatic test and are waiting for results or you test positive, there should be random checks to make sure you are quarantining and huge fines if you are not.

For specific metrics (safe to welcome boyfriend into home/safe to see socially distanced friends and family/safe in general with a mask i.e. for indoor dining, going to my office, etc)
- ICU headroom used at 25%/10%/<5%
- New cases per 100,000 people at 10/5/1
- Contact tracing at 90%/95%/100% in 2 days
- Average test return at 48 hours/ 48 hours/ <24 hours

The first two levels have been accomplished in my area. I will not engage in indoor dining until the last has been met, and I will not be indoors in locations that do not require masks until there is a widely available vaccine that I have had access to.

I am in an area that was an early hot spot. Only three people I know died, including two coworkers who were in their late 50s/early 60s. Deaths have reduced as we've learned more about the disease. I am not necessarily afraid of death, although as a blood cancer survivor I am in the highest risk profile despite being in my early 30s. I am *far* more concerned with the long term impacts that plague dozens of my friends who were previously healthy 20 and 30 somethings: kidney failure, heart damage, long term cognitive impacts, long term fatigue, frequent relapse of initial breathing issues, lung damage (and I already have that from chemo), triggering diabetes, etc. We live in a country where the same people not taking this seriously often overlap with the people who do not support universal healthcare, in the face of an unknown illness that is going to cause billions of dollars in medical costs for American citizens.

But go on, don't wear a mask and feel free to invite the neighborhood for bridge.

Last edited by charolastra00; 08-10-2020 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
What would make me feel safer? How about competent leadership with a centralized plan and our old pandemic response office back in place with the real all the best people. Maybe a non politicized independent CDC with competent people vs the gagged sidelined weak CDC with all of the incompetence that goes along with it. How about a president that doesn't lie to the koolaid drinkers to go out there and open up no matter the consequences? We shouldn't have a binary choice here of risk killing loved ones or kids vs killing the economy. We should have been a role model like Taiwan and all of the other countries that got this right.

How about an adequate supply of N95 masks for healthcare and the public? N95 masks make me feel safe when I have to go out to stores. I can't find any and my supply is dangerously low. I'm worried about the fall and winter months. The Covidiots will be out there being useful idiots and spreading this like wildfire. Those countries that wish us harm are smiling ear to ear right now. We are no longer a world leader, we are a world pariah, and that makes me extremely sad.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:03 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
The left: If Biden becomes President

Lmao

Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
True leadership with a plan to deal with it.

This...a national mask wearing mandate like they do in Asia (with full compliance) would greatly lessen infections/deaths while resulting in the economy opening up much sooner and more fully...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies