Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:16 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You honestly think that would solve the USPS financial problems? lol.

Reduce/eliminate mail delivery and charge more in rural areas ... if that's the case then the money taken in taxes from those in rural areas to prop up the USPS should either be reduced or eliminated. Then you can pay more for your postage and pay more out of your check in taxes just so you can get your junk mail.

On the flip side, maybe USPS should reduce/eliminate services in blue war zone cities, for the safety of the USPS workers, right?
Please post links to Mail Carriers complaining about safety in blue "war zone" cities. Thanks.

As to taxes from rural areas, please. Nearly two thirds of the economic activity of the country occurs in areas that vote for Democrats.

From farm subsidies to post office subsidies and everything in between, rural areas are already subsidized by urban areas.

But back to the sorting machines.

Right before a national election seems a poor time to remove these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Sorting machines are being removed in HIGH POPULATION (Democrat) areas.

Trump is purposely trying to reduce votes in areas with the highest percentage of Democrats.

Hopefully people drop off their ballots at the elections office drop-box ahead of time, or vote in-person. Or mail their ballot 4 weeks early. Even if sent early, the ballots might be "lost" within the postal system.

I am voting in-person.
I’ve always received early mail-in ballots and used the post-office, however this year when I receive my mail-in I’ll fill it out and take it directly to the elections office in town where I can drop it in the box myself. Vote early and hand deliver it to a polling location or an elections office.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:27 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,176,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

As usual, the urban "hell holes" are subsidizing their rural neighbors.

If this whole business was actually about making the USPS more cost efficient, the first thing that would have been done is to shed the unprofitable parts of the business -- the rural routes and the small town post offices.

Rural people can have their mail delivered to mail boxes in metro areas.
But of course the PMG can't do that. Changingthe SOP to trucks move on time instead of waiting for the last piece to control overtime however was a part. Until Congress jumps in and demands that folks be forced to work overtime and wait on that last piece that is.

Quote:
Please post links to Mail Carriers complaining about safety in blue "war zone" cities. Thanks.

As to taxes from rural areas, please. Nearly two thirds of the economic activity of the country occurs in areas that vote for Democrats.

From farm subsidies to post office subsidies and everything in between, rural areas are already subsidized by urban areas.
As a carrier who served about 1000 households and lost a customer a year to murder on a route at the turn of the century in a war zone between the Hoover Crips and Rollin 60s Crips I have told the stories online for the past 20 years. However it would take some pretty impressive Google Fu skills to pull up those random post on many times a now defunct message board.

The rate of armed robberies we suffered was part of the reason LA County stopped mailing AFDC and General relief checks. And when Social Security finally stopped mailing checks when began to be victims as our keys are sold as burglary tools. But that is the job.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:43 AM

23,747 posts, read 12,631,420 times
Quote:

But back to the sorting machines.

Right before a national election seems a poor time to remove these.
Are people in the blue war zones complaining? Probably, who wouldn't be, really. But I had never stated in that post that they were. Why are you trying to say I had said people were complaining?

I don't think not receiving delivered mail would be that much of a problem if people get in the habit of sending/receiving mail online and using a parcel service, like FedEx, for important letters and packages. I already get most of my 'mail' online anyway and I've sent/received many a package through a parcel service. The majority of the mail I do receive is just junk mail, I wouldn't mind never receiving that stuff lol.

What are they doing with those sorting machines, no one has ever stated as far as I know. Are they being repaired or moved to a different location? Please post a link showing what is happening with those machines once they have been taken from the location that they were in.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 AM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Are you really comparing the post office to the horse and buggy?
the Postal Service , just like Amtrak, has been losing money hand over fist.... the economic facts don't lie, they need to be done....

sorry if you cant compete, time to retire

Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,239,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
The 671 voting machines are location in "High Population Areas".

Translation: Trump is purposely delaying mail in areas with the largest amount of Democats. He's trying to cherry pick to delay Democrat's votes.
translation: the 671 machines represent 10% of the total machines. If the volume in Houston - which is losing capacity for 470K sorts - were to have gone down by 1MM, does it not make sense to remove that machine?

Old 08-15-2020, 10:54 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Wasn't it always a federal crime to hinder mail delivery? I guess a felony is in the eye of the beholder, especially since it's a felon doing the hindering.

A felon who's protected by the office of the Presidency, remember.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Do people realize how many plants, carrier routes, collection routes, window clerks, blue collection boxes.... have been removed over the past 25 years? At the beginning of the COVID lockdown we were in the middle of inspections for the next round of my station's route reductions after the ones 5 years ago. In my 25 years that place had gone from 55 to 38 routes as we await more.
how much has usage of USPS dropped in those 25 years? I don't know - but it's certainly a valid question.

There's 31K post offices. That's

a post office every 122 sqmi. That basically means if you travel 5.5 miles in any direction, you'll get to one.

a post office for every 5,000 households.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Explain how the millions of qualified voters who physically cannot vote in person are going to vote if not by mail ballot. Trump is afraid those voters will make a difference in his butt getting kicked out. Most intelligent republicans say Trump is wrong on this issue.
that is called an absentee ballot. Unless there's some other group of people you're thinking about

Old 08-15-2020, 11:06 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
It is simply not believable that humans will be able to sort mail more efficiently than these sorting machines.

As to the "explanation" that perhaps the number of letters being sorted has gone down and therefore they are not needed is equally ridiculous. We are entering an election cycle with all sorts of campaign literature being mailed out, not to mention the ballots.

These machines are in operation one day, and removed the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies