Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 06:44 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why are you arresting someone who is driving drunk? What crime did they commit?
I'm not arresting them. The police are, based on existing law. But, personally, I'd be much more apt to accept that a drunk person is a threat on the road than a sober person. Hell, most people can't drive rationally these days when they are sober. And likewise, I'll concede that a contagious person in public is a threat to the public. The problem I have with the whole thing is that I cannot agree with punishing everyone for the "sins" of the few. We don't (or at least we shouldn't) treat everyone as a leper, only lepers. The left wants to treat everyone as a leper. No go. Distinguish between the two or do nothing at all.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:51 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
huh?

Of course there will be a vaccine.

Of course masks work. It's been demonstrated by science- remember science?

We've had lockdowns because idiots don't wear masks or wear them inconsistently.
The lockdowns happened in March. They were telling people not to wear masks. There was no massive spread even though people were still sneaking out and hanging out when they could. Now that masks have been mandated for a while the totals are still going up instead of down.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:01 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The lockdowns happened in March. They were telling people not to wear masks. There was no massive spread even though people were still sneaking out and hanging out when they could. Now that masks have been mandated for a while the totals are still going up instead of down.
Not 'really' going up.

Not arguing w/ you as I agree w/ your slant but the testing went up, the contact tracing thus adds more 'infected' numbers, tho they are not. The 9th Amendment (James Madison), Bill Of Rights, is what this really threatens or offends folks. It covers forced masks/vaccinations or rights of ppl to have religious rights, as in 'one right cannot deny the rights of another' as in 'step on the rights of another'.

You cannot come into conflict w/ The Constitution & Due Process. We are made to be slaves by wearing masks. How can you argue what is acceptable legally & what is not? Does not there need be accountability to the law?

Old 08-21-2020, 08:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm not arresting them. The police are, based on existing law.
And that is morally & logically wrong, agree?

Quote:
But, personally, I'd be much more apt to accept that a drunk person is a threat on the road than a sober person.
Neither are a threat. The only threat is the individual who legitimately and with malice violates the rights of another individual.

Quote:
Hell, most people can't drive rationally these days when they are sober. And likewise, I'll concede that a contagious person in public is a threat to the public.
Any individual with the cognitive ability to form mens rea is a threat to an individual (I won't use the word public). A moral threat I should say.

Quote:
The problem I have with the whole thing is that I cannot agree with punishing everyone for the "sins" of the few. We don't (or at least we shouldn't) treat everyone as a leper, only lepers. The left wants to treat everyone as a leper. No go. Distinguish between the two or do nothing at all.
But it's not exclusive to the "Left".

Seat belt laws, helmet laws, zoning laws, fence-height laws, prostitution laws, gambling laws, and even current mask laws - in some form to some scale - are all embraced by both parties.

All are morally and logically wrong to exist but they do...and they are gladly supported by both sides.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:18 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Oh just put your pants back on. Nobody wants to see that.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:19 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
John Adams: "A constitution of govt once changed from freedom can never be restored, liberty once lost is lost forever". There is an exception however & that is when things begin anew.
I am against the Covid lockdowns in general but this is a bit overwrought.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
huh? Of course masks work. It's been demonstrated by science- remember science?
Cloth masks, you say? You mean like this science?

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

Relevant quotes:

"Laboratory tests showed the penetration of particles through the cloth masks to be very high (97%)"

"The rate of CRI was highest in the cloth mask arm, followed by the control arm, and lowest in the medical mask arm. "

(in other words, the infection rate was higher in those wearing cloth mask than in those wearing nothing at all)

Editor's note: please take notice of the "insert" at the beginning of the study--the one that mentions covid. It was not there the first time I discovered this study online. Since the contents of the study are rather damning for cloth masks, no doubt the powers that be have coerced the researchers to add this "disclaimer" in the beginning of the study. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't just make the study disappear as they have with several other similar studies I've read over the months online.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:00 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Yes there is a Wuhan flu. Yes the entire world with the exception of Sweden has bought into it. Does it make it more deadly than any one of 50 flus from MERS to SARS to the Bird flu etc etc etc??? No.
The only "flu" in your list is bird flu. Coronaviruses are not influenza viruses. SARS-CoV-2 is more deadly thatn SARS and MERS, neither of which had the asymptomatic carrier phase that SARS-CoV-2 has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
There won't be a vaccine for this. Is there a vaccine for the cold? The masks do absolutely nothing. If they worked, why would we have the lockdowns? I hate to be a conspiracist, but there is some reason why so many countries are going nuts over this virus that is not all that deadly. And if it were that deadly, why rule treatments off limits?
There are already vaccines. Trials continue to establish effectiveness. It is deadly, and the treatment that has been discontinued was shown not to be effective.

Quote:
We're just sheep follwing the herd. Masks are showing the world that the US ppl CAN be controlled by a tyrannical gov't. This whole sham-demic, panic-demic, planned-demic is soo obvious. A 'flu' being used as a reason to create mass hysteria, chaos & thus -- control measures in response to this insanity.
It is not "a flu". Different virus.

Quote:
Masks DO NOT protect the wearer, ask the doc who changes his mind daily, Fauci, period. NOR DO THEY REDUCE IT AS THE SKIN OF OUR BODIES ABSORB IT. ALSO, MOST PPL I SEE DON'T EVEN WEAR IT CORRECTLY. SOME UNDER THEIR NOSE, THEIR CHIN, ETC. SO, YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT SOME THIN LAYER OF CLOTH IS THE REASON WE ARE SAVED FROM THIS "SCAM-DEMIC'.
SHOUTING does not help your argument.

Fauci did not change his mind. Advice changed as new information came in.

Yes, masks need to be worn properly. That is why you will see me wearing mine in my car. I put it on, leave it there, and do not touch it until I finish all of my errands. Then I remove it and clean my hands. Masks made of "some thin layer of cloth" are no longer a good idea. There are better alternatives, including DIY alternatives and surgical masks.

Quote:
The vaccine is a way to further 'control' ppl. Gates had a dad that was a eugenicist. Hence he now wants pop. control, hmm, wonder why? He wants to eliminate those from the weak fish pool.
He advocates reduced population growth as a way to improve quality of life, especially in poor countries. That is not eugenics.

Quote:
The vaccine is a way to track ppl. The stats reveal many more deaths & infections too by inflating (conflating) them by 'contact tracing'. So if you are infected, contract tracing says the other 13 ppl you came in contact w/ also are statsitically infected. Therefore, it makes the numbers skewed, the data look higher but it is all smoke n mirros. Can't anyone see this??
How will a vaccine be used to track people?

People identified by contact tracing are not counted as infected unless they test positive.

Quote:
Masks weren't warranted in ANY other flu & yet, this time, w/ an election of a prez the left despise, they make up a scenario that supposedly makes THIS flu season unlike any other. It is less than half of 1% yet it is publisized as a pandemic. But it is not, so thus the power grab by the left & globlits.

It is always a 'conspiracy theory' til the theory becomes proven fact. Then the libs say, 'oh well this was just an exception & not the rule'. BS on that & you libs KNOW this. Unreal, go to another country if you don't like the Founding Father's ideals set forth in the 1700s.

Furthermore, it is NOT a fluid document, The Constitution, but rather static. Period.
This is a coronavirus, not an influenza virus. They are not the same.

Pandemic does not refer to the number infected, it describes an infection that has spread worldwide.

Masks would be helpful during flu season. Other countries do it.

Quote:
Muzzles are for dogs. Not just dogs, but dangerous dogs. Thus we see what the leftist government officials and our fine leftist friends think of ALL of us.

It's simply another case of punish everyone for the sins of a few, only in a slightly different frame of reference in this case. You see, if the left were reasonable, they would concentrate on protecting those who are truly in danger from covid and testing for covid in the greater public sphere. But no, they are hellbent on punishing everyone. This is the first time in history (at least recorded history) that healthy people are treated as, essentially, lepers. It's demeaning, degrading, and infuriating. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, folks. Test me every time I'm in public (which is rarely anymore) if you like, but DON'T punish me and treat me like a leper unless I HAVE leprosy.
Sick people are isolated. Folks who are exposed to sick people are quarantined until it can be confirmed that they are not sick. Quarantine has always include people who are not sick.

The problem with the coronavirus is that you often have it and do not know it. You may be a leper with no signs or symptoms of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The way I understand it, this is left up to the states. Masks don't work other than giving some a psychological lift feeling they are doing something when in reality they are not

None of the experts is claiming masks are perfect. There is evidence they reduce spread, such as the hair salon where two stylists exposed about 140 and did not give it to anyone. Everyone wore masks.

There are physical experiments showing masks block exhaled droplets.

Quote:
There be a vaccine, probably as effective as the testing which runs about 30% or as effective as the flu vaccine which runs 40 to 60% effective. Add the side effects, probably worse than the virus.
Where do you get the 30% figure?

How do you know "the side effects, probably worse than the virus".

I have not seen any vaccine trial results that show that.

Quote:
The emergency was over when the recovery started. Quarantine was meant for people that were sick, not people that might get sick. They used to nail an order of quarantine over the front door of a house. The mortality rate is .01% not 1%, 1/10th of a percent.
We do not yet know what the mortality rate will be, but on a daily basis COVID-19 is the third leading cause of death in the US.

That quarantine order applied to everyone in the house, not just those who were sick.

Quote:
See above. Masks don't work. Cloth masks for sure may stop 3% of the virus while collecting viruses and bacteria on the outside that the person wearing them comes in contact with.
Cloth masks, depending on how they are constructed, can be much more than 3% effective, especially if a filter is used.

Yes, there can be virus on the outside of the mask. That s why they have to be worn and handled properly.

Plan 201, a "simulation" of an pandemic played out last fall, not a conspiracy, and makes you wonder: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity..../scenario.html

From the article:

"The disease starts in pig farms in Brazil, quietly and slowly at first, but then it starts to spread more rapidly in healthcare settings. When it starts to spread efficiently from person to person in the low-income, densely packed neighborhoods of some of the megacities in South America, the epidemic explodes. It is first exported by air travel to Portugal, the United States, and China and then to many other countries. Although at first some countries are able to control it, it continues to spread and be reintroduced, and eventually no country can maintain control."

Ah, seems kind of suspicious to me. Bill Gates and Fauci need to be charged with crimes against humanity.

Take the "Panic Out Of Pandemic""[/quote]

There have been similar simulations in the past. Scientists have been warning there will be future coronavirus pandemics since SARS and MERS emerged.

There is nothing suspicious about it at all. The PTB should have listened and we would have been better prepared for COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why are you arresting someone who is driving drunk? What crime did they commit?
Driving while drunk. Drunk drivers kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
There's no proof that the masks are keeping the numbers lower.

People weren't wearing masks months ago and there was no massive spread.
Mask compliance in the US has not been good enough for it to work in some areas.

Quote:
The left wants to treat everyone as a leper. No go. Distinguish between the two or do nothing at all.
There's the rub, you see. There is no easy way to distinguish between the two.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There's the rub, you see. There is no easy way to distinguish between the two.
Really? Then this all this testing I've been hearing about on the radio news around here is like unto a spotted unicorn? It doesn't exist? Well, actually, to tell you the truth, maybe there is no accurate test. Why should I believe the news folks about the existence of covid testing when 90% of what they tell me about everything else is rubbish? They do get the weather right most of the time, though.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:43 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
Suzy Q, prob is ALL are punished for sins of few. Rights are taken away & ignored. Mass hysteria is ok? Unlawful edicts? How can you call you an American & not adhere to Constitutional Rights? I could go on picking parts of your argument. But suffice to say, your point of view is YOURS solely & does NOT reflect ALL ppl in the US. the left but I shoose not to do so. do so, it is MY God Given right as I'm not offending anyone any more than you're offending me by wearing one? You can dress a s a clown poander to

I respectfully disagree w/ your opinion but it is your RIGHT & thus I don't infringe on that right. If you choose to wear masks, so be it. If I choose not to to do so, but the left insisis on infringing on MY right. It is my God Given right to not wear one, as I'm not offending anyone more than you're offending me by wearing one. You can dress as a clown & pander to left but I choose not to do so.

I just avoid stores requiring them. Period, end of argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies