Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 06:37 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Depends on state laws, I would assume, but yes, Governors can. The MI Supreme Court invalidated Whitmer's EO restrictions due to their duration, not their content.
So no reason it cant be done on a fed level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So no reason it cant be done on a fed level
I already linked to why it can't be done on a fed level, Frank.

Post #8.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I already linked to why it can't be done on a fed level, Frank.

Post #8.
States issued lockdowns in conflict with their own constitutions, so no reason the fed cant.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
States issued lockdowns in conflict with their own constitutions, so no reason the fed cant.

If your argument is simply going to be "Yeah, it's illegal, but they could do it anyway!" then we're past the point of productive discourse.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You can basically kiss your job and livelihood good bye. Though I guess it really doesn’t matter to you Biden supporters since most of you are probable on the government dole (welfare checks). But us working stiffs and business owners we’re going to get screwed royally....
I am not a Biden or Trump supporter. I have no reason to fear monger or hyperbole.

POTUS is not king. POTUS has no authority to shut the country down, let alone wear masks.

It’s a state, or county issue. Protocols within areas with surging numbers are being treated differently than areas where numbers remain relatively stable.

If, Biden wins, the messaging from the WH would likely be far more consistent as it relates to Covid. Less likely Biden would be on the news telling people “ if you want a test, you can get a test” while his VP is saying “ there is a shortage of tests”. Not likely Biden would deny the surge, while the doctors in his staff overseeing response, confirm surges.

As we know, several states / regions within, are seriously challenged by Covid hospitalizations, right now. The demand for ICU beds exceeds the supply of such beds with appropriate number of ICU professionals. States are airlifting patients within states and have not been able to match the demand. Field hospitals are being activated and there is once again.

As an aside, my 74 year old husband, a Cancer survivor, has travelled 50 miles each way, on public transportation, to his job, throughout the pandemic. His function is considered essential while 3800 other employees work from home due to business decisions made by his employer, not a government body. He gets an entire train car to himself because most white collar employers are continuing to operate on a virtual basis.

Inauguration is nearly 3 months into the future. No one knows what the Covid situation will be 3 months from now.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
If your argument is simply going to be "Yeah, it's illegal, but they could do it anyway!" then we're past the point of productive discourse.
Well yeah if you're going to believe in the mythological power of old parchment

Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Biden would have to declare a national emergency and be the dictator that y'all have been accusing Trump of being, even though he's leaving policy up to State and local officials as is Constitutionally mandated.

Kinda puts the Left in a bit of a pickle......
Likely the only difference would be consistent messaging From the WH and pressuring states with overwhelmed hospital systems to take action to control the spread.

My take is that those who oppose Trump because of Covid do so because of his denial for political gain.

The political rallies are for Trump’s benefit. He needs to feel the love of his base who will vote for him no matter what. What better way to show your love than to attend a rally where you will be packed like sardines with other like- minded people and in doing so, put your life and the lives of your family at greater risk of infection.

The current surge of infections and hospitalizations is attributed to social / family gatherings.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:01 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You can basically kiss your job and livelihood good bye. Though I guess it really doesn’t matter to you Biden supporters since most of you are probable on the government dole (welfare checks). But us working stiffs and business owners we’re going to get screwed royally....
I think there will be an about face on the lockdowns and such, because then they would be stepping on the economy of a Democrat president.

We also need to take into account that by the end of January we will have Trump's "warp speed" inspired vaccine,

But generally, yeah, if Biden is elected and the Marxist dims control Congress, you can kiss or economy goodbye

Old 10-29-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Well yeah if you're going to believe in the mythological power of old parchment

I believe in the very real power of checks and balances.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
They don't care. They will enjoy watching people in red states who do not approve of the lock downs being forced to follow a strict and often arbitrary national directive.
The Federal Government’s, social distancing guidelines and clear instructions to comply with state orders was the trigger. No two states took the same action.

What was appropriate in NYC made no sense in Cheyenne, Wy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies