Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 03:58 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Why should you care what people think?

What matters, ultimately, is what they do.

Actions matter.
I'll answer. People who have bigoted mindsets will often do bigoted things. If I see people calling other people racial slurs and using abusive language towards others, that tells me that those persons might do even worse things.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
What did he do to get 'murdered'?
If someone got murdered (key word "murdered" as in non-negligent homicide, as in, premeditated homicide), the last thing you should be asking is "what did he do"? It does not matter. Murder is murder. To me, you asking that question just tells me the kind of mentality you have.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Nobody has ever been attacked by an entire city or town.
Wrong, dead wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocoee_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ican_Americans

Old 11-28-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Step away from the computer and go find a girl and a beer or something. You're losing it.
This is a hypocritical statement. If you are on this computer alot, you cannot tell someone else to stay away from the computer.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:19 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I judge based on what the individual presents. I don't go by best or worst. I go by what the individual does.
Good for you. Say I'm in a strange neighborhood and can approach a bunch of white guys or black guys for directions. I don't know any of those guys, they haven't 'presented' or done anything to differentiate between them, except color. I go to the white guys. I do know the white guys won't be hostile based on my race. I don't know that about the black guys. If that makes me racist, so be it.

Edited to add: otoh, if asked to choose between living in a nearby mainly black middle class neighborhood or a decrept white one, I'd go black.

Last edited by jazzarama; 11-28-2020 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
A Racist Attack on Children Was Taped in 1975. We Found Them.

A snippet of the documentary “Rosedale: The Way It Is” has ricocheted across the internet, upending for another generation New York City’s narrative as a bastion of tolerance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/n...il&login=email

That piece ^ adds context:

More info re: Bill Moyers' documentary:

Rosedale: The Way It Is

Racial tensions soared as the Spencers, a middle-class black family moved into Rosedale, a Queens white working-class neighborhood. Bill Moyers examines the fear, hatred and courage generated as the have-nots of our society battle for a tiny piece of the good life.

https://billmoyers.com/content/rosedale-way/
Anything Bill Moyers is talking about, it's nothing new to me. I've known New York City was never the bastion of tolerance many people try to make it out to be. It wasn't just Rosedale. Howard Beach had some problems. Bensonhurst was imfamous for racial tensions during the late 1980s/early 1990s. Crown Heights had alot of racial tensions which culminated into a riot in 1991.

One thing that has made me wonder for a long time is this. Some of the worst racial tensions I keep hearing about having to do with working class areas. Part of me has wondered why.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Good for you. Say I'm in a strange neighborhood and can approach a bunch of white guys or black guys for directions. I don't know any of those guys, they haven't 'presented' or done anything to differentiate between them, except color. I go to the white guys. I do know the white guys won't be hostile based on my race. I don't know that about the black guys. If that makes me racist, so be it.

Edited to add: otoh, if asked to choose between living in a nearby mainly black middle class neighborhood or a decrept white one, I'd go black.
I've dealt with racial hostility from some non-Black individuals, as a Black man. And I still keep to the "judge by how the person presents themselves" principle. There are just some places I don't go based on their reputation, regardless of what the demographics are.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
One is not a man until they've been deflowered.

Use more accurate words.
I'm in my 30s. I'm a man regardless of what you think. If you think I'm not a man, then that tells me more about your mentality than anything else.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
It's a Seinfeld reference.
I know it's a Seinfeld reference. I grew up watching Seinfeld. Do you have anything better to offer than snark?

Old 11-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Just because you disagree with my views, it doesn't make it 'snark.'
I'm just having fun. I hope you are, too.
I'm not having fun. When you claimed that I wasn't a man, that was snark right there. What you did is something an underclass thug would do. That is something someone with arrested development would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies