Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 12:13 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a very simple solution to this.

Don't be part of the problem.
Don't make excuses for people that are part of the problem.

I disagree about it being a never ending cycle. Things are so much better today than they were 40 years ago and 40 years before that clearly we have made progress. The big difference is that with the media and their need for ratings and profits the actions of the worst behaving people are what often makes the news.

There is all the ugly in this world at your fingertips on the internet, don't let it warp reality that most folks are decent, but that's boring.
Well the media and the microaggression nuts, the people fixated on monuments and the people digging up stuff from 40 years ago and the people mistaking a garage tie for a noose, take the focus away from serious issues that still exist. People using the "N" word is not a big deal. People in poverty, in crime ridden neighborhoods and with poor education is a serious issue.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:15 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When it comes to Kansas, I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Kansas is home to John Brown, one of the greatest Americans to walk this Earth.

My father worked in Kansas for a time. According to him, there is a different mentality in Kansas. None of that plantation mentality.

I've never lived in Kansas, but I've wondered what it would have been like to live in Kansas during the 1970s-1990s. Around the cities at least.

Black pioneers went to Kansas and founded a few towns. One example is Nicodemus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicodemus,_Kansas
Kansas had a strong abolitionist foundation unlike other states to the east and south.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:45 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...tm_name=iossmf

These kids would be in their 50s by now.

Heartbreaking. I am not ashamed to admit that I teared up a bit when watching it.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:27 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Kansas had a strong abolitionist foundation unlike other states to the east and south.
Kansas is where were some Black pioneers would settle after the Civil War. Nicodemus is one of the Black towns that were founded in Kansas.

Kansas, like the rest of America, had its issues. However, I will say this about Kansas. Brown vs Board of Education came about, desegregation seemed alot more peaceful in Kansas than it was in Mississippi, or in Boston (1970s Boston at that).

Old 11-26-2020, 03:10 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
This is a small portion of a documentary by Bill Moyers Rosedale: The Way It Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv0n...LashundaHodges

I had similar problems growing up in a German family in Rosedale in the 1960s.

My father, born in Germany, jumped ship in New York City in the 1930s when Hitler took power. He enlisted with the US Army and went back to fight Nazism in his birth country!

After the war ended he returned to NYC, and bought a house in Rosedale. But hatred was still so great for Germans in the 1950s that my parents had to send my brother back to Germany to live with his grandparents for several years. And I still suffered in the 1960s as well - being called a Nazi, Heinie, Kraut, etc. which got me into a lot of fights at school and in the streets. Our home even had swastikas chalked on our sidewalk in summer and marked in the snow in winter.

The bullies in my case were Irish Catholic - my best friends were Jewish - go figure.

We moved from Rosedale to South Florida in 1967, just before things got really crazy!

Old 11-26-2020, 03:57 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Oh, boo hoo. Bad things happened in the past. Let's dwell on it obsessively and create more divisiveness now.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:04 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Heartbreaking. I am not ashamed to admit that I teared up a bit when watching it.
The pain in that little girl's eyes/face was just awful.

I am a Gen X'er so I was alive in the 70's....tragically incidents like these did occur.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 11-26-2020 at 05:12 AM..

Old 11-26-2020, 05:52 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Andy Young said nothing down south prepared them (MLK) for the racism they faced marching in the north. IMO the south was more homogeneous in its racism and in the north due to its ethnic enclaves was not. For instance I met a black man who said in the 60's his father bought a house on a corner in an all white neighborhood in a northern city and not once through out his childhood did they face anything unpleasant. I think maybe things could have been altogether different for the family had they bought a house a mile or so in another direction in this same northern city.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:24 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Oh, boo hoo. Bad things happened in the past. Let's dwell on it obsessively and create more divisiveness now.
The conditioning that you're guilty of something (in this case, of having white skin) helps pave the way for the robbery to follow.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:32 AM

828 posts, read 416,704 times
I by no means agree with this or making excuses for the behavior. But why always just showing one side.
You cant talk about the other side of things without it being called racist also.

It would have been much worse for white kids to walk in a black neighborhood. Even they even made it out alive.
Even today 10 times safer for a black to walk in a white neighborhood than the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies