Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:56 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kansas is where were some Black pioneers would settle after the Civil War. Nicodemus is one of the Black towns that were founded in Kansas.

Kansas, like the rest of America, had its issues. However, I will say this about Kansas. Brown vs Board of Education came about, desegregation seemed alot more peaceful in Kansas than it was in Mississippi, or in Boston (1970s Boston at that).
First, the video reminds me of some of the backlash that occurred over forced busing issues in the early to mid 1970s. If I recall, whites in Queens were upset because they were busing black kids from Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn into the schools in Queens. Back then Bed-Stuy was a pretty rough place. It also happened in Boston like you mentioned.

As for Kansas, by the 1970s it was doing pretty well as far as race relations but before that they had Jim Crow issues like many places. I suggest you look up some of the things that Wilt Chamberlain went through when he came to the University of Kansas to play basketball in the mid 1950s.

To be honest, places like Kansas did better than the south more due to the fact there were less black people living there and they weren't as much of a threat to whites. Black people in Kansas couldn't collectively present a political threat and from a personal standpoint they were mostly out of sight out of mind for white people.

Even in places like Wichita and Topeka who had significant African American populations, blacks mostly stayed in their traditional housing areas until the late 1970s and early '80s. White people didn't really engage them much in their daily life.

When so called "block busting" started to occur in the late '70s and early '80s there were some tensions because we started seeing neighborhoods change and black neighborhoods began to expand out of those old segregated housing areas and into white neighborhoods. Like many places, the old black segregated housing areas are gone now. In Oklahoma City (where I am) that entire area which I remember as a little kid is now the Health Science Center. All the black neighborhoods now in OKC were once white neighborhoods or they are newer neighborhoods where the old neighborhood was torn down.

In this area though (Kansas/Oklahoma), the changing demographics of the neighborhoods occurred AFTER the uproar over busing and the white flight was well underway to the suburbs. That helped keep the tensions down some because it all wasn't happening at once like it was in other states during the 1960s and 1970s.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
No ... modern racists are physically attacking white and Asian people. In some parts of CA, the modern Chicano racists are attacking blacks who dare enter their neighborhoods.
True, though that was mostly in the 90s, for some neighborhoods atleast. Highland Park was infamous for that(Los Angeles), but now it's mostly hipster. SOuth Central, would not be surprising.

I hate to admit that a lot of Hispanics can be racist pricks.

I think what the guy your replying to mean is that white supremacy took a more subtle approach. Like with Lee Atwater's quote:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*, n* n*.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N*, n*.”

Old 11-26-2020, 01:02 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I posted this mainly in response to that thread.

It wasn't fair for the black folks back then, fast forward, there's resentment.

White folks that don't have anything to do with that get dumped on for sins of the past, then some grow up with that same resentment and give it back.

It's a never-ending cycle.

And to answer another question of why many black communities are in disarray, those kids repeat that behavior from their parents. So imagine generations of not being treated like a person?
And those kids are adults now, did they change? Those black girls, do they still harbor resentment today?

I wonder if you can interview both groups of kids, and ask them what they feel now.

The made for TV PSA presents one side of the issue.

The only ***** I have with black people is they are constantly blaming me for **** other white people did at some other time and some other place while ignoring the fact that black people have always been just as racist and disrespectful to whites as white have been to blacks.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:47 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Yeah, so stop acting like whites have the market cornered on racism. We're rarely physically attacking people of other races in 2020.
I wish I could say the same for certain other races ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/06/25/white-supremacist-terrorism-on-the-rise-and-spreading/?sh=1cfb5e305a0f

[i]’"The annual report emphasized the threat white supremacist terror groups posed to security in 2019, as reports of racially or ethnically motivated attacks have increased since 2015."

You were saying?

Old 11-26-2020, 03:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
We're rarely physically attacking people of other races in 2020.
I have to say, It is refreshing to actually see a racist admit he is one on these forums. Most racists on City-Data rely on weasel words and dogwhistles to signal their moral shortcomings.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:25 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I remember the same experiences growing up as a mex-American kid in south Texas in an Anglo neighborhood. They were fond of ganging up on me when I was alone, things like throwing rocks at me when I was sitting in my backyard portable pool or a nasty white teenager who didn’t like that “girlfriend” lifeguard liked me (a 10-year old boy). But, there were good kids too.
I found my share of some very good people as well. The bad stuff that I mention, it only applies to those who actually did those things. I did find good people as well as some bad people. Someone mentioned economics. I figured I might chime in because I think about what I dealt with, and it left me with some questions.

Funny you mention the lifeguard. When I was 11 or 12 years old, the persons who showed be the most love were White girls.

In my case, I dealt with some interesting situations. I dealt with some racist individuals who just didn't like Black people. I also dealt with some Black kids who felt like I was "lame" or "not Black enough". I also dealt with kids who were just quite nasty, period.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
First, the video reminds me of some of the backlash that occurred over forced busing issues in the early to mid 1970s. If I recall, whites in Queens were upset because they were busing black kids from Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn into the schools in Queens. Back then Bed-Stuy was a pretty rough place. It also happened in Boston like you mentioned.

As for Kansas, by the 1970s it was doing pretty well as far as race relations but before that they had Jim Crow issues like many places. I suggest you look up some of the things that Wilt Chamberlain went through when he came to the University of Kansas to play basketball in the mid 1950s.

To be honest, places like Kansas did better than the south more due to the fact there were less black people living there and they weren't as much of a threat to whites. Black people in Kansas couldn't collectively present a political threat and from a personal standpoint they were mostly out of sight out of mind for white people.

Even in places like Wichita and Topeka who had significant African American populations, blacks mostly stayed in their traditional housing areas until the late 1970s and early '80s. White people didn't really engage them much in their daily life.

When so called "block busting" started to occur in the late '70s and early '80s there were some tensions because we started seeing neighborhoods change and black neighborhoods began to expand out of those old segregated housing areas and into white neighborhoods. Like many places, the old black segregated housing areas are gone now. In Oklahoma City (where I am) that entire area which I remember as a little kid is now the Health Science Center. All the black neighborhoods now in OKC were once white neighborhoods or they are newer neighborhoods where the old neighborhood was torn down.

In this area though (Kansas/Oklahoma), the changing demographics of the neighborhoods occurred AFTER the uproar over busing and the white flight was well underway to the suburbs. That helped keep the tensions down some because it all wasn't happening at once like it was in other states during the 1960s and 1970s.
I know about Kansas' questionable history. I was coming off of someone else's post about their life in Kansas.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah. Modern racists don't call people n***** anymore, they just treat people like it. Can't argue with progress.
This, believe it or not, is kind of true. There are other ways to do racist things. It goes beyond words. Words are part of it, but it goes beyond that.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:31 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
BS source. Any info on whites being attacked by 'coloreds'? How about an investigative story about the disproportionate number of black/brown on white rapes as opposed to vice versa.
Black on white crime is a ; witch-hunt, its a scam, its fake news, its the worst fraud perpetrated in the history of American crime statistics, only suckers and losers go for that stuff.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Black on white crime is a ; witch-hunt, its a scam, its fake news, its the worst fraud perpetrated in the history of American crime statistics, only suckers and losers go for that stuff.
I'm going to take the middle road with this. There are indeed some Black criminals who do attack White people. There are some underclass thugs (who happen to be Black) who do attack White people because they hate White people. That stuff does happen.

On the flip side, I notice this. Very often, it's brought up for these reasons:

1) To justify resentment towards Blacks.
2) To create the argument of "Blacks are the real racists" or "no one is more racist than Black people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies