Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:41 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why? Isn't he a citizen already?

As for the illegal aliens, including DACAs, they already have a path to citizenship. Go back to their original countries, contact a U.S. Consulate or Embassy, fill out the papers and pay all the fees, wait for all the background checks, medical checks, etc. to be finished (might take a number of years), then get your green card and visa and come on in. Then go through the additional procedures for citizenship (can take an additional 5 years), and there you are.

Biden doesn't need to invents a new "plan for citizenship" for the illegal aliens. They already have one, and always have.

Or does Biden want to give criminals who broke the law and entered or stayed in this country illegally, a way to get citizenship BEFORE the law-abiding ones who never broke the law, patiently did everything required of them, and have been waiting peaceably for all these years?

Those are my sentiments exactly! k Also, if they committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion they should be disqualified from coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 07:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
hey yall remember how reagan gave amnesty to aliens way back in '86?

thought so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And he was also wrong to do that. He also lived to regret doing it. Next.......
Did Ronald Reagan regret 1986 immigrant 'amnesty' law?

"The suggestion that Reagan regretted the amnesty law is not new.
<snip>
David Bier, now an immigration policy analyst with the libertarian Cato Institute, researched the matter in 2013 and concluded the former president's so-called regret was an "internet myth."
<snip>
"... It seems that Reagan would understand that his law failed to stop illegal immigration, not because we allowed people to stay, but because we refused to allow more to come — in his farewell address, he said he wanted an America 'open to anyone with the will and heart to get here,' ... "

Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
We already do that! We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide then with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens and keeping population growth in check. Any rational person knows that that is sane immigration policy already! We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's needy just because they are deemed honest.
I imagine you are unaware of the fact that Mexicans are given priority over Filipinos for allowing relatives to visit.........THATS an example of an honest policy that needs fixing.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:46 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
Yeah, it's not super difficult to immigrate from Nordic or Western European countries. But, in general, those people do not want to immigrate here.

Fair point.

What do you want a citation for? Here is information about the Immigration Act of 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924.

As far as the other parts of my statement, I'm heavily involved in genealogy. So that's how I know this. Before 1924, immigrants could become citizens within 5 years of entering the US. If they didn't become citizens, they could simply remain in the US without being a citizen. Here is a lot of information on this: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/our-h...tion-1795-1956

Illegal immigrants are coming to the US anyway. We're not doing a good job at stopping this. So they're getting into the US, working under the table, not paying taxes, and using resources. Why not just give them a path to citizenship?

Ultimately, this benefits all of us. How? Well, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm a millennial. At the rate we're going, I will have significantly reduced social security when I am of age (at best). Americans are not having as many children as they had in the past. We need people to replenish that pot.

Even for current older people, it's estimated that the social security reserves will be depleted soon (I've seen 2031 and 2035 in different articles). At that point, social security payouts could decrease if they do not either increase taxes or extend the retirement age. Since these are unpopular options, politicians do not seem to want to address them.

So creating many more American citizens and forcing them to pay taxes could improve this situation.

Good point. Still, I think that there should be easier paths to citizenship, similar to the timeframes that I mentioned in my previous post.
Why should Mexicans and central americans be given priority over asians?

Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 PM

89,036 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Many people have been locked in the system -- showing up every six months to a year, checking in and their case not moving forward.

I hope he takes those people out of limbo. If they have a job, a family and are contributing members of society they should be allowed to apply for a green card.
Does that mean only those whose US-born children receive NO public assistance benefits? Takers AREN'T contributors.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
There should be no path to citizenship for any illegal.

there should be a path to legal status for the so-called "dreamers"

Old 01-19-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm reading The New York Post now : "Joe Biden plans to introduce immigration bill immediately."
It will give illegals the "right to pursue citizenship after an eight year wait." Biden will extend DACA for another 4 years.

It will be interesting to see the whole finalized proposal. Until the? Just wait and see before passing judgement.
I would like to see this added to the bill: Any US citizen who wants to leave the US (renounce US citizenship) can take the full value of their assets with them, untaxed. Make it a 2-way street.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Underclass? Democrats as a rule are more educated than Republicans.
The value of that supposed "education" is highly questionable, at best. The FACTS are that Democrats earn less than Republicans (on average), and Democrats outnumber Republicans on public assistance program rolls by more than 2 to 1.

Quote:
"An individual’s likelihood of being a Democrat decreases with every additional dollar he or she earns. Democrats have a huge advantage (63 percent) with voters earning less than $15,000 per year. This advantage carries forward for individuals earning up to $50,000 per year, and then turns in the Republicans’ favor — with just 36 percent of individuals earning more than $200,000 per year supporting Democrats."
The Economic Demographics of Democrats

Easy confirmation of that fact: Democrats are 2.2 times more likely to receive Food Stamps than Republicans.

Chart: The politics and demographics of Food Stamp recipients - Pew Research

Democrats are indeed highly disproportionately the US underclass. So the value of that supposed "education?" P*ss poor.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:43 PM

298 posts, read 117,024 times
Quote:
You need to get yourself up to speed with the truth. Illegal aliens have taken once good construction and landscaping jobs that Americans used to do for a fair wage. Utter BS that any contractors can't find reliable workers to work those jobs for a "fair" wage!
With all due respect, you're in your 70s and you're retired. Do you really think that you're in a better position to determine the current employment landscape than someone in their 30s that is currently working?

Do you know any construction/landscaping employers? Well, I do and this is what they tell me. I've also had businesses and I can tell you that many Americans are not reliable workers.

In any event, if these illegal immigrants were made legal and subject to the minimum wage, it would drive up salaries. Then Americans would be competitive with the immigrants.

Quote:
I see, so adding 11 plus million illegal aliens and their broods to our society isn't putting added stress on our natural and social resources including those that I have mentioned already? You're really in deep denial, aren't you?
If they were able to legally work, then they could get jobs and actually pay into the system instead of having to work under the table.

In any event, what are the alternatives here? Trump didn't do a good job of keeping illegal immigrants out either.

Quote:
Their kids enter our schools not knowing English and that creates a burden on on our teachers also.
From what I've seen, the parents don't speak English, but the children learn English pretty well.

In any event, most educated people in first world countries know more than one language. It wouldn't hurt people to learn another language.

Quote:
We never had an old system where we rewarded illegal aliens with our citizenship for violating our immigration laws either. Reagan once gave them amnesty but that's it. It wasn't a "system".
This is because immigration laws used to be reasonable (as I previously discussed). If my ancestors came to the US today in the same way that they did in the early 1900s, they would be violation of the law too.

There is a much higher bar to obtaining citizenship these days, which I don't agree with and don't believe that it is beneficial to our country.

Quote:
As I said they are low waged earners with several dependents so they would have no income tax liability. It will always be against our immigration laws to enter our country illegally and that will never change nor should it. Our immigration laws have always made sense and they still do!
They do have some tax liability. More importantly, their children will grow up and will be liable for taxes as well. So if you have 2 working parents with 5 children, these children will grow up to become tax payers. Then you will have 7 tax payers.

And, as I mentioned previously, they're here anyway (since our government has been unable to stem the flow of currently illegal immigration). Might as well convert them to citizens and collect their taxes.

Quote:
No, you're not funding my retirement. I funded my own!
Do you receive social security? If you do, then I am partially funding your retirement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quote:
You will get the same benefits as other Americans when you retire unless you're an illegal alien yourself.
Not necessarily and that's the problem. If there isn't enough funds paid into social security, then I won't receive the same social security payments as your generation.

Quote:
These illegals have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion and yet you want to reward them for felonies? We don't need these people. They are the poor, uneducated and unskilled.
There is plenty of work for unskilled and uneducated people. As we discussed previously, landscaping and construction (which is what they do anyway) comes to mind.

Quote:
In today's world we need educated and skilled people that won't be a burden to our society.
Not necessarily. See above.

Quote:
You must have some sort of vested interest in illegal immigration to defend the indefensible and wanting to reward foreign lawbreakers. We have annual quotas for legal immigration today and for sensible reasons. Educate yourself on this issue for God's sake!
I do have a vested interest - my retirement. What's your vested interest in not having them here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner
Why should Mexicans and central americans be given priority over asians?
I never said that there should be.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I imagine you are unaware of the fact that Mexicans are given priority over Filipinos for allowing relatives to visit.........THATS an example of an honest policy that needs fixing.
Yes, I am aware of that. Mexicans hold the highest numbers for family reunifications on our soil also. That's the problem with allowing too many in from one ethnic group in the first place. What happened to diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies