Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2021, 04:11 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,595,631 times

Advertisements

Not only BET there's the black news channel shows called blackish. If white people started the white news channel you know very well there would be a major problem with it and would ultimately be banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _McLuvin View Post
Because by default, news is already pretty much "white".

Same reason you don't call boats "water boats".
Yep by default pretty much everything is white because white people make up over 220 million people in this country. But that's not the point making shows and focusing on one race is a perfect example of racism.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,888,661 times
Quote:
Because by default, news is already pretty much "white".

Same reason you don't call boats "water boats".
If the ambivalent/indifferent to white (Fox, OAN) to mostly anti-white (all the rest), pro-diversity, open borders news media is "white", I'd hate to see what it'd be like if it was "non-white" . How much worse can it get?

Old 01-31-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I think it's because black folks didn't have much representation. Unless they were a guest or something. So things like BET came into light.

For example, look at this interview with Devil Bowie when he asks about black representation on MTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGiVzIr8Qg

This is why networks like BET were created^

Mind you, there were some white folks that won BET awards.
Again black people make up a small percentage of the total population so that is a reason why not many black people were on tv back then. Smaller population less odds finding talent. Now today more black people are on TV from affirmative action not because of talent and actually causing ratings to drop. For example the show dancing with the stars. The original host was replaced with Tyra Banks simply because she was black and fits the current narrative and the ratings for the show hit record lows. With the original white host the ratings were very good.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,888,661 times
Quote:
Saying it's white doesn't mean it's bad. It just didn't really represent black folks. Look at my post above.
Well none of the news media represents white folks. Even the most right leaning like Fox and OAN are completely ambivalent or indifferent towards white interests and have a significant number of black anchors and guest, which is no small feat when probably less than 5% of the population is black conservative.

And the rest of the media are full on white scapegoating. It doesn't matter to me if it is a black Don Lemon or a white Fredo Cuomo or whatever delivering the anti-white news.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:39 PM

16,637 posts, read 8,643,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
As is "black entertainment television".
Your thread title loses a lot of steam when you compare BLM to BET. While I do not watch BET to know if they are racist Marxist/communists, BLM certainly is.
So try comparing oranges to oranges.

`

Old 01-31-2021, 04:47 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,745,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewship View Post
Racial discrimination against black people at the institutional level did not end in 1860. We kinda had a whole Civil Rights Movement around it 100 years later. White people were given lots of handouts into the postwar era that were not not given to black people. Land grants, housing and business loans and equity in well-to-do neighborhoods, better jobs, GI education... the list goes on and on. White people were helped immensely by our government to get to the elevated status they are. The push for "racial equity" as people call it nowadays is to give black people those same opportunities that white people were afforded for centuries. That is the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So there were huge programs that gave free stuff to whites but not to blacks? Perhaps. Please provide sources to back up your claim because there's a whole lot of black vs white outrage that is based on lies and half-truths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There was an entire society - enforced by state and local laws - that prevented blacks from taking part in rights and privileges that whites take for granted. Jim Crow denied blacks the right to vote, "separate but equal" public education that never was equal, separate libraries, with libraries for blacks filled with second hand and outdated materials, opportunities for jobs, etc.
The Jim Crow South is a fair enough point to make. It was evil and a stain on our history. But that isn't what I was talking about.

crewship said that "White people were given lots of handouts in the postwar era" and that blacks didn't get the same handouts. What handouts is he talking about?? I've never heard of this. They said white people were given land grants that black people didn't get. What land grants are we talking about? What white exclusive business loans is he talking about? What equity in rich neighborhoods was just given to white people that was not given to black people? I think they're saying that there were GI/veteran education opportunities given to whites but not blacks. Again, never heard of this. This sounds like happenings on a federal level, not at a state level in the Southern States. Well, I have to plead ignorance because I've never heard of these things and I was asking them to cite a source so I can educate myself.

Regardless, you left out the next part of my post: Chinese Americans, Japanese Americans, Korean Americans, Jewish Americans, Indian (from India) Americans: They were all persecuted, mistreated and marginalized in the 20th century just as much as blacks were. So why are they (on average) massively successful and blacks (on average) failures? All of these groups started with the same foundation: Nothing and huge hateful racial stigmas against them. Above all else, it comes down to creating a culture of excellence/failure and individuals making smart/stupid choices.

We can rig the system in favor of blacks till doomsday. As long as a huge number of them keep making stupid life choices, it's never going to help. I can offer the same three step challenge I've posted dozens of times, but blacks have to actually make better life decisions.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:47 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,629,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Black people feel their lives don't matter in this country, so they created BLM.
Because black people have been LED TO BELIEVE that their lives don't matter in this country. Falsely.

While it's true that there are a few bigoted white people in this country, and even a few bigoted white cops who treat black people unfairly, the vast majority are NOT bigoted, and treat blacks just as fairly as they treat whites. If you're black, you've got a better chance of getting hit by lightning than you do of getting unfairly treated by a bigoted white cop.

But that's not what the liberals (in and out of the media) have been telling you. From them, comes the constant din if "This is how black people are always treated in this country! Black people are fully justified in being enraged over the CONSTANT ABUSE they get from white cops!" Even white people start to believe it - the media wouldn't lie, would they?

While in fact the media ARE lying, to a grotesque degree.

Q: Next to the people who actually smashed the windows, attacked the cops, turned cars over, and lit the buildings on fire, who is the most responsible for the riots of last summer?

A: The media.

They are turning mole hills into mountains, every chance they get, for the rare times an actual white cop treats a black man unfairly. And they are inventing "bigoted white cop oppressed black man" from thin air, a hundred times for every genuine incident. And the media are almost singlehandedly creating the riots we saw last summer, and/or triggering other racist groups like BLM into creating them, by telling black people endlessly that they are "horribly oppressed by whitey" when they aren't.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That's just marketing. Like I don't agree with it, but it's mostly from looking to catch more viewership.

For example, I had a conversation with my sister in law. She isn't very tolerant. She stated that "look, we gave gays their rights, but now they want more and now we see all this gay pride everywhere!".

I explained to her that companies wanna expand their markets to other people. Since being gay is accepted these days, they have a new base to market to.
No it's racism. If it were flipped and a black host was replaced by a white person when ratings are good or better all hell would break loose and racism would be called.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,405,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Again black people make up a small percentage of the total population so that is a reason why not many black people were on tv back then. Smaller population less odds finding talent. Now today more black people are on TV from affirmative action not because of talent and actually causing ratings to drop. For example the show dancing with the stars. The original host was replaced with Tyra Banks simply because she was black and fits the current narrative and the ratings for the show hit record lows. With the original white host the ratings were very good.
You simply cannot assume DWTS’s dwindling ratings have anything to do with the race of the host. You’re projecting your own twisted line of reasoning onto the masses who probably just either find Tyra boring, or the show less appealing given everything else going on in the world as of late. It’s incredibly myopic to assume that everything comes back to race, good Lord.

The Real Housewives of Atlanta - the highest rated show in the history of the Housewives franchise and the only one with an all Black cast - is experiencing their lowest ratings season since their premier in 2008. They’re all still Black, and they’ve consistently outperformed their all-White counterparts on all the other franchises for more than a decade so what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies