Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 11:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Liberals need to understand that the vast majority of America doesn't care about Black Lives Matter or Black Nationalist movements.

If you think those ideologies are important, then you need to move to another country or start your own country somewhere else.
In other words, you people don’t care about black people at all, only yourselves. As we all knew all along.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:00 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,924 times
What percentage of football players are Black?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:01 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
In other words, you people don’t care about black people at all, only yourselves. As we all knew all along.
No, we believe that All Lives Matter.

That is what America and equality are about.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:02 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:

No, that’s really not what your post meant. At all.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:08 PM

72,988 posts, read 62,569,376 times
People are bothered by "woke", but few ever ask themselves the roots of such "wokeness". And it's alot older than you think.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:09 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Not all AAs in MN are on assistance. I would say a vast majority of them are though.

Do you think black people move to MN for our weather? It is -1 degrees out right now.

Heck even all the white people I know right now are planning their escape route from this state because of the weather.

You think Somalis wound up in MN because they like the weather?
I don’t know why AAs moved there.

I do know of some Caribbean immigrants who moved their for work and school years ago. All it takes is one or two people to go somewhere and then more will come. Guessing that’s how Somalis got there or perhaps a refugee program was set up there.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:11 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, that’s really not what your post meant. At all.
The color of your skin, whatever that may be, does not make you more special than anybody else.

At all.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,378 times
Quote:

Very easy to say when you're in the majority.

When your spouse comes up to you and says, "Do you love me?" do you respond by saying "I love everyone?"

When there's a fire at a house and the fire department comes, do they spray water on the entire block because "all houses matter"?

When you're at a funeral, do you interrupt the service to say "Hey, my grandmother died five years ago. All deaths matter!"?

Of COURSE all lives matter. But not all lives are subject to the fear and anxiety that others are.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:19 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You guys need to forget about black people and worry about those dirt poor whites who live in those shacks and lean-to's on the sides of a mountain. They have been poor and sick for generations. They drink water full of contaminates. I drove several miles through that country and there was a cancer treatment center literally in every city or county.

Talk about ruins? They let the coal companies destroy those hills, mountains and water ways so bad they cant even fish or hunt. And tobacco farmers buy up all the flat spots. Now coal and tobacco are worthless. They vote for politicians who make it hard for them to leave.

I have been in the ghettos of Chicago, Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis, and I think poor whites in rural America have it a lot worse
This could be the subject of an entirely new thread, and so as to not derail THIS thread, I will just write briefly that I wonder if what I bolded is true. It very well could be as I have not been to the "hillbilly" part of the country for almost 50 years, but if someone were to write what I bolded above back then, I would very much disagree with the bold. In short, have things changed so much since the 60's in that region?

Many people were dirt poor back then who went on to become successful. Dolly Parton, Homer Hickam, Chuck Yeager and Loretta Lynn, are just four that came readily to my mind, and to read their biographies, I don't think any of them would have exchanged their childhood homes for what kids in "the inner cities" experience. Again, maybe times have changed, and maybe I am wrong about that?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:22 PM

72,988 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I don’t know why AAs moved there.

I do know of some Caribbean immigrants who moved their for work and school years ago. All it takes is one or two people to go somewhere and then more will come. Guessing that’s how Somalis got there or perhaps a refugee program was set up there.
I have a Black relative who moved to Minnesota during the 1960s. Rural Louisiana was not that great a place to live during that time. She moved to Minneapolis, and made her home there. She went to college up in MN. She got married, started a family, and was a teacher for many years.

From what I've learned, the Lutheran and Catholic churches played a role in many refugees settling in the Upper Midwest, and not just Somalis. Alot of Hmong refugees settled in Minnesota and Wisconsin too. Charities from both churches played a role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies