Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 12:29 PM

929 posts, read 304,582 times

Advertisements

A society that emphasizes and celebrates “ the first Black American to...” , “ the first woman ever ...” “ The first Hispanic American to ..” “ The first Asian American to..”....
..goes against the majority of the concepts of individual rights that stand out within the Constitution. And the foundation for the individual to be recognized on their own.
Achievements by an individual should be just that. How can there be any “ unity” when we are constantly bombarded with notices of the first members of their “ group” to achieve?

And now the extension is that by placing , for example, Blacks in the Biden administration, the “ group” status , has the appearance of not having the best people for the position , but to make sure certain” groups “ are represented. This is actually discriminatory, as from the very start of a selection, those considered have to be members of a selected “ group”. And it is an insult to the American people.

Didn’t Elizabeth Warren say that she was going to appoint a Transgender, and wasn’t it a minor to head up the Dept. of Education ? This tells you all you need to know.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:41 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Very easy to say when you're in the majority.

When your spouse comes up to you and says, "Do you love me?" do you respond by saying "I love everyone?"

When there's a fire at a house and the fire department comes, do they spray water on the entire block because "all houses matter"?

When you're at a funeral, do you interrupt the service to say "Hey, my grandmother died five years ago. All deaths matter!"?

Of COURSE all lives matter. But not all lives are subject to the fear and anxiety that others are.
Do you think the majority of Americans buy this explanation? You will have to convince people that blacks as a group have been singled out for discrimination and mistreatment in modern-day United States.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:43 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This could be the subject of an entirely new thread, and so as to not derail THIS thread, I will just write briefly that I wonder if what you wrote is true. It very well could be as I have not been to the "hillbilly" part of the country for almost 50 years, but if someone were to write what I bolded above back then, I would very much disagree with the bold. In short, have things changed so much since the 60's in that region?

Many people were dirt poor back then who went on to become successful. Dolly Parton, Homer Hickam, Chuck Yeager and Loretta Lynn, are just four that came readily to my mind, and to read their biographies, I don't think any of them would have exchanged their childhood homes for what kids in "the inner cities" experience. Again, maybe times have changed, and maybe I am wrong about that?
Poor people in Rural America don't have access to the infrastructure that poor minorities have. Libraries, Public pools, recreation centers, concert halls and auditoriums, transportation services like buses or even rental car companies. I once spoke to a guy who was at least 40 years old who said he has never left his town in his life. Not even to the next town about eight miles away. I grew up in an urban city and I could walk 2-3 miles to a pretty good job while I was in high school before I got a car.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Poor people in Rural America don't have access to the infrastructure that poor minorities have. Libraries, Public pools, recreation centers, concert halls and auditoriums, transportation services like buses or even rental car companies. I once spoke to a guy who was at least 40 years old who said he has never left his town in his life. Not even to the next town about eight miles away. I grew up in an urban city and I could walk 2-3 miles to a pretty good job while I was in high school before I got a car.
Again, I don't want to derail this thread, but this is why I think that money should be spent to ensure that everyone in the U.S. should have an equal education through at least the eighth grade, so that those who show themselves capable of higher education will have enough of a foundation so that they can succeed later in life. I personally continue to go to the library because I prefer hard books, but I think the Internet has replaced that for most people, and that is why I am reading that there is more of a push for Internet service in rural areas.

But as far as kids being stuck behind because they are in a rural environment, that is because of a lack of good jobs in many of those areas, which is why I think that so many rural poor people voted for Trump -- they believed his promises of bring U.S. jobs manufacturing jobs back. (That and many other reasons, too, of course.) In my fairly affluent rural county, the vote was 50% for Biden and 48.5% for Trump.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Exactly, I never once looked at all the white models on TV and said, "Damn their so much 'h-white' here, I can barely breathe. It's actually suffocating me..." I got used to it, and moved it along. In fact the thought never actually popped into my mind till I read that sentence. I guess all the "I don't see race people" actually see race then. Now blacks are something like 30% of people in TV commercials, maybe more depending on what channel your watching and all of a sudden people are suffocating in blackness.
I think of how many generations of women in my family faithfully watched soap operas without ever seeing a black face on them and they never noticed or never complained.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, the Black underclass dates back for many generations. It's been around forever. And it was larger before the 1960s. Blacks have always been poorer and worse off than everyone else and this has been the case for ages, to the very beginning of America.

The current Black militancy/woke, it's been around for a very long time. The Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, the Marcus Garvey movement (and Marcus Garvey was preaching "let's go back to Africa back in 1920"). The original Black Panther Party argued that America would have to be torn down and built from scratch in order for any changes to come forth. They also argued that violence would be the only way it would take place. They were saying this back in the mid 1960s.

While the Black Panther Party certainly formed on a college campus, the professors can't be blamed for this. It got started when two Black students at Merritt College met. The founders of the Black Panther Party (Bobby Seale and Huey Newton) didn't get their teachers from college professors. They got their teachings by reading Malcolm X. Huey Newton read alot of books from Marxist writers. They didn't need college professors to teach them about any "woke" stuff. They got all that stuff on their own and happen to be in college while doing it.

Now ask yourself this. Why did all this woke stuff start in the Black population, particularly in the inner cities?
The current militancy is disguised as an academic discipline. Because of advances in opportunity and equality before the law, things like critical race theory had to be thought up to continue "the struggle" because so many victories had been won.

You can't sell the same narrative that you could in 1960, because it would be false to do that, as everyone knows. You have to re-frame everything to say that it is all insidious and "systemic", etc, and that the continued lagging of African Americans vs others in the society is the result solely of systemic racism, most indicated by law enforcement, so that is priority one to attack.

Then you get something that happens rarely, like unarmed black men being killed by cops, and use social media to blow it up that these are regular occurrences that indicate how racist the country still is, and then point to prison populations and imply they are filled because America is so racist.

The bottom line is this: Calling America racist, changing the language around in every situation you can, a non-stop stream of social justice content in the media, reducing law enforcement in black neighborhoods, emptying out prisons, net-net going to hurt African Americans exponentially more than a few police shootings. But the emotions are in the police shooting videos, not in the day to day grind and misery that continues in the same places.

You are seeing exactly the results in these areas could be predicted..more crime, more fear, the economy in those areas will get worse.

But at least the College educated BLM founders can be proud of the chaos they created. They hurt far more people than they've helped.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:12 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
I think of how many generations of women in my family faithfully watched soap operas without ever seeing a black face on them and they never noticed or never complained.
In that case I think of how many generation of black actors who probably thanked their lucky stars every day that they weren't part of the dreadful acting, writing etc. that comprised the worthless soap operas of the 1960s onward.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:25 PM

73,045 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Alot of rural Blacks who don't have access to those resources too. Go look look at the Black Belt region in Alabama, the Mississippi Delta.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I just hope that we can achieve some kind of actual balance before too long.

I am thinking of the 1994-2009 TV series, ER, in which there were several black doctors (although white doctors were still the definite majority) and an almost even mix of whites and blacks (with a large number of Asians and Latinos, too) among the nursing staff and patients -- just like in real life in many major cities. (And ditto for showing the majority of people being "straight", but recognizing the fact that many people are part of the LGBT community.)

In other words, I don't want "the pendulum" to swing back to how it was 60 years ago in movies and television, but I would like it to hover in the space that approximates reality.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:30 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,282,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Do you think the majority of Americans buy this explanation? You will have to convince people that blacks as a group have been singled out for discrimination and mistreatment in modern-day United States.
I don't have to do anything. It's pretty apparent that the majority of younger people understand what's going on. The few curmudgeons who inhabit backwater IBBs like this and crow "why do they have to be so uppity?" are slowly dying off. <shrugs>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies