Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 02:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 652,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
His taxes are none of your damn business, just like yours aren't anyone else's business.
Then Trump should not have made that promise. There is no law that require the disclosure. It is just a recent electoral tradition. But even though there is no law, tradition by itself is a sort of quasi-law or an unspoken law. But Trump is impulsive and just made that promise. Then when it was convenient, he tossed out all sorts of legal excuses why he could not. He knew that he would lie to the American voters, including those who voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Also, your assertion is analogous to letting the police search your home, car, or person if you have nothing to hide. News flash: This country was founded upon exactly the opposite principles.
Not a valid comparison. The policed asked you, not that you offered. But if you offered, then the police would act toot-sweet. Unfortunately, Trump know there is nothing his voters could do to him if he renege on that promise, so he acted fully within his amoral character.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:20 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why has Donald Trump fought so hard to keep his tax returns secret?"

ALL people's tax returns are kept private, by LAW. Aren't you lefties always talking about following the law?

Why don't YOU release ALL your tax returns for your entire life? What are you hiding?

A person with world wide presence and a a multitude of businesses here, has a LOT MORE COMPLICATED taxes then those who use the simple tax return method.

I Thought you lefties knew EVERYTHING?

Another wasted thousands on a "higher" education!

The IRS experts who audit him EVERY YEAR have found NOTHING that warrants legal charges against him, but YOU know MORE then they do!
Simple.

I haven’t run for POTUS, the highest office in our land, asking people all over the country to vote for me, while also promising to release my returns.

Trump did both of those things.

My tax returns are none of the general public’s business.

Trump made his our business when he promised to release them while running for POTUS.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:23 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Why has Donald Trump fought so hard to keep his tax returns secret?

To cover up his crooked development deals of course.
So be honest, do you honestly think that with all the stuff the left has come up with on trump, they could not find anything tax related on him? Lets remember, the IRS apologized because they held up conservative groups.

Quote:
In a legal settlement that still awaits a federal judge's approval, the IRS "expresses its sincere apology" for mistreating a conservative organization called Linchpins of Liberty — along with 40 other conservative groups — in their applications for tax-exempt status.
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/56030...rvative-groups

Quote:
"It was an error in judgment, and it was not appropriate, but that's what they did," Lerner told reporters. She declined to talk about how many employees were involved and whether there would disciplinary action. "I think they were insensitive, or less sensitive than they should have been."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ction/2149939/

Also, lets remember that the lefts shining star, rachael maddow had trumps tax returns....and then she read them and found out he did pay taxes.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Or maybe it's because it's none of anyone else's business. They are only fishing for a charge to bring against him. It's for the same reason that we all fear an IRS audit. Look hard enough and they'll find SOMETHING wrong. It's just inevitable.
Trump made it our business by promising to release them.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Obama said we could keep our doctor, and our health care plan. And the average American would spend $2500 less for insurance.

Oh well.
I agree.

And if you read all of my posts, you’ll find me criticizing Obama for that.

Critizcizing Trump doesn’t make someone a Democrat, nor an Obama voter.’

I’’m not a Democrat, and I didn’t vote for Obama.

Everything isn’t ‘Us vs. Them’.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Except, the entire time trump was in office, the anti-trumpers said because he was not showing his tax returns, he is guilty....you were here for the last 4 years, yes?
You shouldn’t generalize and lump people together when it is wrong to do so.

I never said Trump was guilty.

I condemned him for not releasing his returns…..because he promised to do so.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It is quite likely that Donald Trump is keeping his tax records secret just to annoy people on the Left. Everything that's been illegally leaked thus far indicates that he generally makes a lot of money and pays a lot of taxes. The public at large does not have the right to see anyone's tax records. That would be an invasion of their constitutionally protected privacy. The weird tradition by life-long politicians to released their tax records after winning the nomination from their party ... well it's weird. It also affords a significant unfair advantage to establishment swamp creatures who have been politicians or aspiring politicians for their entire life. They can pretty things up in preparation for the day that they might have play show and tell with their tax records. They can load up on charitable donations, refuse to take any tax breaks, pay a little more than they owe, etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us try to pay as little as legally possible. Sometimes we make mistakes and owe the IRS money. Most of us lack access to the kinds of accountants dedicated to prettying things up for us. The tradition keeps the corrupt establishment in power and political outsiders out of government. With that in mind, is the tradition of releasing your tax records even useful?

If some great crime was committed by an individual, they'd never make it far enough to be their party's nominee. If there's some crime lurking in their records, the IRS would have already dealt with it a very long time ago.

The State of New York is on a fishing expedition purely on the basis of "Orange Man Bad!!!"
You’re right.

The general public doesn’t have a right to see anyone’s tax returns.

But we do have a right to call out a then Presidential candidate for a lie….promising to release his returns, and then not doing so.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
tradition is not the reason he should reveal his tax returns.

his promise to release them as soon as they were done auditing it (which is a dumb reason but whatever) is why he should reveal them. he's hiding something, whether it be foul play, or something embarrassing.
Exactly.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A lot of deflection from Trump supporters when Trump himself said he would release them. No one forced him to say he would release them, he said himself he would.
Yep.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Many presidnets have said stuff that never pans out....why are you mad about this? Until you can show us you were mad at those other things, then your comment is nothing.
Trump wasn’t the President when he made this promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies