Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 08:40 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
We still have plenty of land. Contrary to popular belief but the US is still pretty sparsely populated. Of the 100 most populated countries in the world, the US is the 79th most densely populated (source).
Maybe we should keep it that way? This helps us to be less dependent upon foreign countries for food.

My house in the states sat on acres of land with a pond. Why would I change that? Why should anyone?

Old 03-10-2021, 08:43 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Maybe we should keep it that way? This helps us to be less dependent upon foreign countries for food.
The US produces large surpluses of food.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the merits of immigrants and their kids, because the same amount is spent for non-immigrant kids.

You're actually also making the argument we should not have kids anymore because we spend too much money educating them.
We have by law must provide tutors for those children who dont speak English. That absolutely increases the costs associated with immigrant children.

If you are referring to the children of illegals then there are other costs. School lunches paid for by tax dollars for the low income illegals. That adds cost.

Illegals as well as legals also tend to live multiple families in single family dwellings. That means the property taxes do not reflect the costs.

Come on 007 you knew all this. Its posted often enough.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
And apparently the other poster you are responding too is also unaware of who helps make that happen.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That we export. Why would we change that? Your answer does not address why we need to take in low skilled uneducated people. I am all for immigration. My wife was a legal immigrant now a citizen. Now I am a legal immigrant. I am for raising the bar and only accepting immigrants that fill an actual need.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And apparently the other poster you are responding too is also unaware of who helps make that happen.
I absolutely am aware. I grew up in farm country, lived there until I moved abroad a few years ago. Psssst only about 2.5% of all illegals work in agriculture. Where I was from none worked dairy farms. Some could have worked the Veggie farms or they could been there on a work VISA.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:50 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with the merits of immigrants and their kids, because the same amount is spent for non-immigrant kids.

You're actually also making the argument we should not have kids anymore because we spend too much money educating them.
No. I am arguing that it is good to have more parents that pay enough in taxes to educate their kids, than it is to have more parents that don't pay enough in taxes to educate their kids.

If you flood the country will low wage workers who cost more than they pay, that is bad economics.

Also, they keep wages lower for low wage earning citizens. You cant complain about the growing income gap, and be for importing poverty at the same time. Which seems to be what a lot of democrats are doing these days.

But again, dont let this one issue deflect from all of the other expenditures I mentioned.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:52 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
We have by law must provide tutors for those children who dont speak English. That absolutely increases the costs associated with immigrant children.

If you are referring to the children of illegals then there are other costs. School lunches paid for by tax dollars for the low income illegals. That adds cost.

Illegals as well as legals also tend to live multiple families in single family dwellings. That means the property taxes do not reflect the costs.

Come on 007 you knew all this. Its posted often enough.
For the immigrants of 1850-1920 ...

-- Public schools were filled with kids who knew little or no English and thus had to be taught.
-- Cities were crowded with immigrants living in cramped tenements. I mean, there have been whole books written on that topic, I can't believe anybody isn't aware of that. In fact, even at the time people complained about it - for example is the famous book by Jacob Riis How the Other Half Lives. A great disproportion of the people living in those tenements were immigrants. The crowded houses in LA nowadays are mansions compared to what they had back then.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:55 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:
That we export. Why would we change that? Your answer does not address why we need to take in low skilled uneducated people. I am all for immigration. My wife was a legal immigrant now a citizen. Now I am a legal immigrant. I am for raising the bar and only accepting immigrants that fill an actual need.
If there was any question immigrants can also play the "I got mine, the rest of you can drown" game, it appears to have been answered.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSmoothwater View Post
Now that it’s brown people it’s bad.
According to who? The race card has lost all its impact from blatant over use. The left is so woke and yet it is they that always seem to bring up color.

My wife and daughters are Asian and if you saw the kids where she is from they give brown a whole new meaning. As my son who is black said. "Jesus dad those kids are all darker than me or any of my black friends. LOL

It isn't about their skin color. Its about the number of illegals. I hate a leaky roof, but if my kitchen is on fire I am going to focus on the kitchen fire. In this case Illegals from south of the border are massive majority of all illegals. Believe me if they were Russian, Chinese, or from Iceland I would be complaining and so would most who oppose illegals or a ,low bar for immigration.

Psssst, not that the needs are far less that means we dont need to import so many and can be far more picky in who we accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies