Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, I'm going to need some more info on that one. Kid and legally purchasing handguns doesn't sound quite right to me.

Kid meaning a young man, not literally a child. And oops, it was only 36 guns he bought, yet this is just the tip of the iceberg.

"For close to seven years, a Mississippi man bought firearms in and around Natchez before sending them to contacts in Chicago, many of them family members he grew up with."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ng/1898930001/

This is what needs to change. I'm not opposed to gun ownership, I'm opposed to normal people buying 36 guns and making them disappear with no accountability until enough people die that ATF starts investigating.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:44 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Kid meaning a young man, not literally a child. And oops, it was only 36 guns he bought, yet this is just the tip of the iceberg.

"For close to seven years, a Mississippi man bought firearms in and around Natchez before sending them to contacts in Chicago, many of them family members he grew up with."

This is what needs to change. I'm not opposed to gun ownership, I'm opposed to normal people buying 36 guns and making them disappear with no accountability until enough people die that ATF starts investigating.
So, this guy lied....on a federal form.....how can you change that?

Old 04-16-2021, 09:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
But Republicans want to cut funding for public schools?
I am not a republican but I am absolutely in favor of giving parents vouchers so that they are able to send their kids to the school of their choice. Being forced to use crappy government/union schools is terrible.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:57 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricpack View Post
I think people in the US should simply accept the fact that dying from a mass shooting is a risk you will have to live with the rest of your life.

There is simply no willingness to fix the problem.

It doesn't matter if it is a red or blue state, conservative or liberal, East or West Coast, Midwest or South, black or white, Latino or Asian, everyone is at risk and these things will continue to happen.
Yes. Living in fear for your life is where the 2d Amendment puts us. The 1st allows people to openly engage in hate and conspiracy. The 4th to conduct criminal activities on a massive scale with impunity. Unfortunately our Constitution was written by men who lived in a different world where personal responsibility, morality, respect for others, and shared community values were the norm. That is not the world we are in today in the US.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:00 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
So many Democratic cities are such a mess. Morally breaking down. The residents aren't praising God as generations have before.

So many Democratic cities are totally rotting morally. Violence in Democratic cities has every thing to do with toxic culture and needless confrontations and drama and nothing to do with anything else.

There is so much hatred in the air in Democratic cities from massive amounts of people being left behind because of Democratic policies.

Democrats tend to love confrontation and always trying to change who they are or conform to a groupthink mentality.

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news...n-indianapolis

49 people were killed and 53 more were wounded by a mass gunman in Florida, a Replublician stronghold in 2016.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
So many Democratic cities are such a mess. Morally breaking down. The residents aren't praising God as generations have before.
You sound like you're straight from an Iran style theocracy. Ew.

I suppose homosexuality and immorality are the causes of earthquakes along the state of California too, not the placement of tectonic plates.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:07 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

First off, your post is a little misleading. He broke countless federal firearms laws by doing what he did, and was convicted of 5 1/2 years for it. It does bring up a good point, one that many of us on the pro firearms side has brought up over and over again. First, we need to strengthen and enforce the laws we currently have. And no more plea bargains.

He should have never been able to purchase those firearms legally in the first place. Back in 2016 he brought a gun across state lines and gave it to a convicted felon. That right there is what should have been flagged in the years after that which would prohibit him from purchasing a handgun.

What happened instead ? He was convicted of "unlawful transport", which I believe is a misdemeanor. Instances like that are the problem. This should have never happened. Thank our justice system for that one.

"Smalley was arrested in May 2016 after he brought a gun from Mississippi to Chicago to deliver to his brother-in-law, who is a convicted felon, court records show. Smalley pleaded guilty last year to a single count of unlawful transport of a firearm.

Prosecutors said Smalley purchased a total of 25 guns from dealers around the Natchez area between 2014 and 2016 and resold them to relatives — some of whom he knew were felons affiliated with street gang members.
"

https://digitaledition.chicagotribun...6-aa417b7cd794

Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Which part didn't you get from my post ? Since the politicians seem to be the ones spear heading gun violence epidemic, why not start out with actually addressing facts ?

Addressing the root causes is the first part in solving a problem. They are not doing that. As far as implementation, I've listed suggestions many times in other gun related threads. I'm done typing the same stuff over and over.
You can link to those great suggestions so we can all evaluate in the context of this thread.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. Living in fear for your life is where the 2d Amendment puts us. The 1st allows people to openly engage in hate and conspiracy. The 4th to conduct criminal activities on a massive scale with impunity. Unfortunately our Constitution was written by men who lived in a different world where personal responsibility, morality, respect for others, and shared community values were the norm. That is not the world we are in today in the US.
So, you live in fear with a 0.000136363636364 chance of being shot (that's using 45k gun deaths in the United States)....

I hope you don't drive, if you do, you better be extremely scared.....

Old 04-16-2021, 10:10 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you are living in fear of being in a mass shooting you also must be living in fear of heart disease, lighting strikes, dying in a car accident, swimming pools, and cancer. Since all things things are more likely to kill you than being in a rampage shooting. Now if you frequent sketchy hoods in places like Detroit or St. Louis, well your chances are much higher then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies