Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I can appreciate your situation.

POTUS has no authority to take away people’s guns. If a POTUS did, Obama surely would have after the mass school shooting in Newton, Ct., no?

What exactly do you expect the US to do about mental health? Be specific, please.
In the 70’s we had more mental institutions. Many of those have been closed. Perhaps we need to reinvent them. Also we need to make it easier for families to get their loved ones help and need a system that actually helps. Too many times the system ignores those who need help. How many of our homeless would be better off in help care facilities vs on the street. Many of them have mental issues and live on the street because of it. Either by being kicked out of home or leaving because they dont want help. I dont have the answers but as a nation we need to have this difficult discussion. Instead we have the much easier band aide discussing pro vs anti gun laws. We have alot of gun laws already and these incidents still happen. We need to get over the politics of that issue and actually work on dealing with mental health issues. Its the most important issue as a nation we need to discuss.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:36 AM

15,630 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Dozens?

According to CDC/ FBI there were 14,424 gun homicides in the US in 2019.
using your numbers above, 14,000 year/365 days, there are approximately 3 dozen gun homicides a day in the usa.

so yes....dozens.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:40 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I saw the news alert on my phone in the middle of the night and assumed it would be wall to wall coverage first thing this morning.

It's not.

It's strange.
Makes me wonder if they caught wind of this shooting not fitting certain narratives so they buried it.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
murder is always a big deal.

but what law would have changed the outcome? Why do you always look for a government solution?

We will always have murder. We will always have drunk driving deaths. We will always have vehicular homicide.

There are a few hundred deaths of this type every year out of a county of 333 million. What exactly can the government do to proactively predict the future as to when a nutcase like this will freak out?
So what would you do? Nothing?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:47 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
In the 70’s we had more mental institutions. Many of those have been closed. Perhaps we need to reinvent them. Also we need to make it easier for families to get their loved ones help and need a system that actually helps. Too many times the system ignores those who need help. How many of our homeless would be better off in help care facilities vs on the street. Many of them have mental issues and live on the street because of it. Either by being kicked out of home or leaving because they dont want help. I dont have the answers but as a nation we need to have this difficult discussion. Instead we have the much easier band aide discussing pro vs anti gun laws. We have alot of gun laws already and these incidents still happen. We need to get over the politics of that issue and actually work on dealing with mental health issues. Its the most important issue as a nation we need to discuss.
I actually agree to a point about mental institutions. There are people in our society that need to be removed long term for their safety as well as society.

But ... you are then restraining a person's life & liberty and essentially jailing them for committing no crime.

It's a fine line and a slippery slope.

In theory, I think there should be a check on a person's mental health history before purchasing a gun - but the majority of shooters have no history. And even then what is the trigger? Is it someone who has been committed to an inpatient facility within the last X years? Or simply a prescription for Xanax.

I think it's always better to err on the side of personal freedom and liberty. Always.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
First off, start addressing that it is an issue, not black semi auto rifles and pistol braces. Next, start addressing the inner city violence, which seems to be swept under the rug on a national level.

Those would be a good start, and actually get both sides communicating and working towards a solution.
What exactly would you implement to make this happen?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
So what would you do? Nothing?
Let's make murder illegal. That would be a deterant.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I actually agree to a point about mental institutions. There are people in our society that need to be removed long term for their safety as well as society.

But ... you are then restraining a person's life & liberty and essentially jailing them for committing no crime.

It's a fine line and a slippery slope.

In theory, I think there should be a check on a person's mental health history before purchasing a gun - but the majority of shooters have no history. And even then what is the trigger? Is it someone who has been committed to an inpatient facility within the last X years? Or simply a prescription for Xanax.

I think it's always better to err on the side of personal freedom and liberty. Always.
Prisons have become the substitute mental institutions with some giant percentage of inmates having severe mental health diagnosis. Would you put more psychiatric care and support within the prison system? Of course that would drive up the cost. What so we do with those that haven’t committed any crimes yet.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Let's make murder illegal. That would be a deterant.
Doesn’t seem to matter mostly because the murders are too mentally ill to care

Old 04-16-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Prisons have become the substitute mental institutions with some giant percentage of inmates having severe mental health diagnosis. Would you put more psychiatric care and support within the prison system? Of course that would drive up the cost. What so we do with those that haven’t committed any crimes yet.
Nothing. We're not living a real life Minority Report.

Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies