Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 05:16 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
You really think they talk about how trans people feel in board rooms, or the survival of their company financially and how to make more profits. Payroll is expensive. Pixar has to be profitable it wants to survive under Disney which as we know was hit hard lately.
I would much rather this is driven by financial motivation. Just shows how far transgender/non binary people have come in being accepted into mainstream (ie profit making) culture.

Pity not necessary, only acceptance - and if in the form of capitalism, then it becomes just like everything else. Thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It will be interesting to see how many parents want to take their children to a movie about a "trans" child. I'd guess a lot fewer than woke people think. There are still plenty of people who believe in male and female, with rare chromosomal exceptions.

That a person could switch to the other gender would have never even crossed anyone's minds for most of my lifetime, and it still seems like craziness to plenty of us.
My generation will be dead and gone in another 20-30 years, and everyone can carry on however they want. I don't see myself ever jumping on the "transgender" bandwagon. Just does not compute as anything other than a mental illness.
It's not a bandwagon. They aren't "trans" or "transgender". No quotes necessary. It's not a mental illness, not defined as one by MD's so no need to add armchair diagnosis.

People still "believe" in male and female but also understand there are some variations on that binary equation.

I don't understand quantum physicists but I know that they exist, they would have once been branded as delusional by those ignorant of what they study.

Lack of understanding does not give you the right to call it mental illness nor dismiss it out of hand, by the very virtue of not understanding you are not qualified to do that. Simply not understanding is enough, and, well, quite understandable.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It will be interesting to see how many parents want to take their children to a movie about a "trans" child. I'd guess a lot fewer than woke people think. There are still plenty of people who believe in male and female, with rare chromosomal exceptions.

That a person could switch to the other gender would have never even crossed anyone's minds for most of my lifetime, and it still seems like craziness to plenty of us.
My generation will be dead and gone in another 20-30 years, and everyone can carry on however they want. I don't see myself ever jumping on the "transgender" bandwagon. Just does not compute as anything other than a mental illness.

It's funny that you actually believe that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Jorgensen

Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It's not a bandwagon. They aren't "trans" or "transgender". No quotes necessary. It's not a mental illness, not defined as one by MD's so no need to add armchair diagnosis.

People still "believe" in male and female but also understand there are some variations on that binary equation.

I don't understand quantum physicists but I know that they exist, they would have once been branded as delusional by those ignorant of what they study.

Lack of understanding does not give you the right to call it mental illness nor dismiss it out of hand, by the very virtue of not understanding you are not qualified to do that. Simply not understanding is enough, and, well, quite understandable.

Thank you Finster

Old 04-22-2021, 05:49 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Unfair assumption. Could be to show the essential humanity of a trans person.
Or to continually normalize a mental condition.

If a movie character is anorexic, do they hire an anorexic actor?

If a movie character is a falling down drunk alcoholic, do they hire a falling down drunk alcoholic actor?

If a movie character is a pedophile, does the casting call read: Need Pedophile Actor for Feature Film.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or to continually normalize a mental condition.

If a movie character is anorexic, do they hire an anorexic actor?

If a movie character is a falling down drunk alcoholic, do they hire a falling down drunk alcoholic actor?

If a movie character is a pedophile, does the casting call read: Need Pedophile Actor for Feature Film.
It could be said that denying the reality of transgender people is a mental condition. And I would be just as qualified to diagnose those with that "condition" as you are diagnosing transgender persons.

That is, not at all.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
It could be said that denying the reality of transgender people is a mental condition. And I would be just as qualified to diagnose those with that "condition" as you are diagnosing transgender persons.

That is, not at all.
Where did I deny that trans people exist?

Oh. I didn't.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Where did I deny that trans people exist?

Oh. I didn't.
Oh okay, apparently I wasn't simple enough in my response.

The reality of their existence is not quantified by mental illness.

Or, more simply put still - they're perfectly normal (if not common). The mental health issue is something you made up.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:12 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:

That is, not at all.
I’m fine with people identifying with whatever gender they choose. Of course in order to do so, one would also have to be okay with people identifying whatever race they choose. You know transracial.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I’m fine with people identifying with whatever gender they choose. Of course in order to do so, one would also have to be okay with people identifying whatever race they choose. You know transracial.
You go ahead. Be fine with whatever you're fine with, no skin off my nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies