Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
With 26 million BLM activists in the US, any policeman who goes to trial can rest assured that there will be someone on the jury who participated in the largest movement in US history for criminal reform. I'll give policemen the same advice I give to young black men, "don't put your head in the lions mouth."
I'll give you a little history on the Constitution, specifically the 6th Amendment:
"the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury.”

Got it? It's not that hard to understand.

The only criminal justice reform this country needs is for people to stop acting like jackasses when talking to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 02:53 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So surprising.

BLM Activist Sat on the Chauvin Jury After Claiming He Could Be ‘Impartial’, Tells People to Get on Juries to ‘Spark Change’

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-spark-change/

..“I mean it’s important if we wanna see some change, we wanna see some things going different, we gotta into these avenues, get into these rooms to try to spark some change,” he said. “Jury duty is one of those things. Jury duty. Voting. All of those things we gotta do.”...
Did this BLM activist actually make it onto the panel of jurors?

That is the burning question.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Extremely few Black folks are killed by the police. In fact, its pretty much statistically insignificant. Facts are your friends. You should try them.

Wait........maybe you're just not good at English. Do you know what "plenty" means?
My grasp of English is plenty for any interactions on this thread. And BTW, you may want to follow your own advice and look up the word and/or call out exactly how it's not being used in the proper context, in your opinion.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
So apparently the defense didn’t do their job when it came to agreeing in the jury. Boo hoo

Old 05-03-2021, 03:07 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So apparently the defense didn’t do their job when it came to agreeing in the jury. Boo hoo
Who is suppose to do the job?

My last jury selection had a very vocal me because I wanted the court to know exactly what they were getting, to be very aware of the level of experience that they would have on the jury. I could have just answered yes/no to the questions but that wouldn't be fair, that would go against my ethics. As it was, I was one of the ones they tossed out of the selection.

But where does the responsibility lie? Certainly the counsels should know but does it also fall on the citizen that if they so believe, they should speak up?

Old 05-03-2021, 03:11 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Chauvin deserves to be in prison. Get over it. So what if he got a bad trial. Welcome to just about everyone in America. As many people go to jail for horrible trials or bad juries. I have zero sympathy for this man. I’m tired of cops being above the law. And I’m tired of the people who feel they should be above the law
Quote:
I'm not a "leftist".

I'm just all about fairness.

A lot of people get bad trials. They get sent to prison for a super long time a result of it. Most people in America get a bad trial. The justice system is super broken for just about anyone who isn't rich.

He's getting the same justice anyone else would get in this situation. Juste because he is a cop, doesn't mean he is the only one who gets a fair trial.

We can argue about how to fix the justice system. But its broken for everyone else, so it should be broken for him. And objectively speaking, he should be behind bars. If there was a video of me putting my knee on a guy's neck for 8 minutes. I wouldn't reasonably expect to be free any time soon.

What do we expect? For him to get a slap on the wrist? Maybe just lose his job? Get 6 months in jail max?

No, he needs to serve hard time. Like anyone else would.
Holy crap. We are truly screwed.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:11 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Apparently a leftist racist lied his way onto the jury. The defense aren’t mind-readers.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:12 PM

711 posts, read 932,759 times
Addressing the Chauvin case in general. I don't want to opine on the trial particulars. IMO this is a case that should never occurred.
Examining Chauvin's background tells us some important facts. Although his bio isn't completely obtainable a lot is. His bio does not point to a bad person--but one of ambition and worth, as well as some difficult family matters which were not in his control and not easy to overcome. However I am not Dr. Phil, but I can speculate how Floyds death and the rotting in jail of a young man Chauvin likely should have been avoided.
Chauvin had enough demerits to warrant a valuation as to which and what duties he was allowed to perform in the police dept. His demeanor may have indicated a problem waiting to happen---to himself and the public at large. Their are many positions in police dept's.
Psychological preparedness is as important as physical attributes. Perhaps a better job could have been done by Chauvin superiors---and by other officers at the scene.
Yes, hindsight trumps foresight. The videos were damning. But can anyone understand why I say "this is a case that never should have occurred".

Old 05-03-2021, 03:15 PM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
If Chauvin was the only person in America who got a bad trial. Maybe I would care. But plenty of people get bad trials. So he gets what anyone else would get. Sounds fair to me.
Why have trials at all? I was falsely accused of a crime back in 2011. The court appointed attorney told me that she was not going to defend me, went into the courtroom pretending to ask a question (I was not called yet), and came back out claiming that the case was continued to a later date. At the later date I found out that she had gone in the courtroom and stipulated me to the charges without my consent and I was there to be sentenced. The judge knew that I didn't really stipulate and had wanted a trial. I even immediately objected when I learned what my lawyer had done, and the judge just smirked and said, "you can't object; you have stipulated."

Romans 13 and what the authorities God established over me taught me God's true character.

I was innocent and wasn't even allowed to have a trial and not one person tried to help me. If I am not allowed to have a trial then why should anyone else? What makes them more deserving of rights?

This case in particular was one of black thug trash meets white thug trash wearing a uniform and one lost the battle. It was also a kangaroo court in that everyone had made up their minds and the verdict was going to be what it was no matter what was presented at the trial. Floyd might have died that day no matter what, but if the cop had not been putting the knee on the neck then he likely wouldn't have been charged. He put himself in the defendant's seat.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Other critical race scholars urge jury nullification to com- bat the disproportionate incarceration of young black men. In jury nullification, the jury, which in most large cities will contain people of color, uses its judgment, sometimes con- travening instructions from the judge, on whether to convict a defendant who has committed a nonviolent offense, such as shoplifting or possession of a small amount of drugs. If the jury believes that the police system is racist or that the young man is of more use to the community free than behind bars, it will vote to acquit.
Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
Delgado and Stefancic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies