Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,515,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
My parents were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull when Dad was 79 and Mom was 73.

The pit bull jumped the fence and began attacking their small dogs. Dad was on the toilet and heard Mom calling for him. He ran outside and attempted to choke the pit bull in an effort to loosen its hold on their dog. It failed, after an attempt to stab it in a way that wouldn't kill it, Mom brought out Dad's revolver and he stopped the attack.

Long story short, Mom had a severe bite on her hand, Dad had a broken thumb, their Yorkie was mauled to death, two other dogs sustained severe injuries and expensive vet bills, but survived. The police threatened to charge my Dad with animal abuse and confiscated his firearm - for months. Animal control failed to test the pit bull for rabies as the law requires and Mom had to undergo a series of expensive and painful rabies vaccinations. The police also nearly charged my Dad with leaving the scene as he immediately rushed his dogs to the vet after the incident and before the police arrived.

Once a week I called into a local radio station and challenged the Chief of Police to a public discussion of the incident. The local news station ran four investigative reports on the incident, with a final scathing editorial. The police finally closed the investigation and released Dad's firearm.

The owner of the pit bull was not charged.
And this is why, and I don't condone it but can understand it, people can "lose it". I became quite angry just reading this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 10:58 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Humans have been domesticating animals for several tens of thousands of years... you may not see a bear with a porcupine on a leash but there are examples of symbiotic relationships with animals all over nature.

That said, it's the relatively small percentage of bad owners that give the rest a bad name. If I was in charge not only would loud modified exhausts on vehicles be banned, but so would fencing up a yard and allowing dogs to bark for hours in it, which happens quite a bit here. Multiple dogs, barking all damn day.... it's one reason I like home owner's associations. Cops don't really care about noise complaints, but noise pollution is perhaps the number one irritation.

I've been renting the last 18 months so no dog noise.. peace and quiet... when a loud motorcycle or 4-wheeler isn't being revved up. At least on the night shift I don't hear a thing... I sleep when loud people are awake.. which is why I'm here right now at midnight.

Back to dogs.. people need to be able to prove they are capable of properly training one before they are able to own certain breeds, in my opinion. Animal psychology isn't that much different from human psychology.. they need proper socialization and operant conditioning to be trained. If a person is too busy to take care of one and their idea of taking care of it is leaving it outside all hours of the day, fine them or remove the animal.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
The poor child born to such an ignorant father. How many times do these things have to happen before people take them seriously? I mean why would you leave a young child alone with two Rottweilers? It defies common sense.
The “joy of owning a dog” is worth more to some people than having their babies getting torn apart by the same dogs.

No one cares about the baby’s life.
Everyone is hell bent to defend the dog and “blame the owner”. End of the story.

I won’t be surprised if there are some dog owners out there who will purposely let the dog kill the owners baby, just so that the dog can have its fun and good time.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:06 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
All the police dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs, seeing-eye dogs, covid-sniffing dogs, narcotics-sniffing dogs, blind-guiding dogs, home guardian dogs, hearing-aid dogs, therapy dogs, disaster-rescue dogs, plus a few billion simple companion dogs, and all their owners and their families strongly object to post # 101. They stand up straight, they wag their tail and say : "I'll pis* on that."
This is pure emotion and fluff. Some of it outright fantasy - generated by the most irrational of all human emotion, the "love" of dogs. Anyone who needs a "therapy dog" needs therapy, alright. But the dog isn't the therapy - the dog is the manifestation, the primary symptom, of the sickness.

For every dog that does any good in the world, there are a hundred who do nothing but disrupt and terrorize. Those "simple companion dogs" are companions to their owner and family, if applicable, and bitter enemies of the remainder of the human race. Bitter enemies of the vast majority of other living things, for that matter. Because of the threat they are to others, especially small children, they are near the pinnacle of owner selfishness and irresponsibility.

Dogs belong in zoos.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:52 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
All the police dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs, seeing-eye dogs, covid-sniffing dogs, narcotics-sniffing dogs, blind-guiding dogs, home guardian dogs, hearing-aid dogs, therapy dogs, disaster-rescue dogs, plus a few billion simple companion dogs, and all their owners and their families strongly object to post # 101. They stand up straight, they wag their tail and say : "I'll pis* on that."
Dog Bite Statistics for the United States
Millions of People are Bitten By Dogs Every Year
• According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Humane Society, there are approximately 4.7 million dog bites every year in the U.S., and it’s believed this estimate is low.

• Dog Bites occur roughly every 75 seconds in the United States (CDC).

• Each day, over 1000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat dog bite injuries (CDC).

Very Concerning, Most Bites Occur with Young Children … a Key Factor in This is Poor Dog Body Language Understanding
• The Humane Society estimates 51% of dog bite victims are children.

• The American Veterinary Medical Association states that the rate of dog bites for children is highest between the ages of 5-9.

• Getting bitten by a dog is the second most frequent cause of visits to emergency rooms for children according to a survey done by Weiss HB, Friedman DI, Coben JH “Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments,” in the JAMA 1998;279:53.

• Children are also more likely than adults to need medical attention, and are far more likely to be severely injured (CDC).

• Young children score badly in discriminating dog body language and look mainly at the face of the dog to make their decisions. Lakestani et al (2005)

Most Dog Bites Occur with a Known Dog, in a Familiar Place
• Most dog bites affecting young children occur during everyday activities and while interacting with familiar dogs (CDC).

• The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim’s family or a friend (CDC).

• 80% of dog bites happen at home. (Kahn et al (2004) Miller and Howell (2007).

Old 05-30-2021, 07:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Most Rottweilers I have been around strike me as skittish and not that far removed from
going full-on schitzo.

The danger any dog can be to a tiny human should be obvious........how does stuff like
this keep happening?????

Old 05-30-2021, 07:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
Japanese mothers will leave their babies with the family AKita dog.
Some dogs are smart enough to gauge- you dont *********r own paycheck by attacking your payroll master's kids!
Dogs are animals and have their own instinct,if it is triggered ,they will attack or defend themselves.
Once a woman housekeeper was attacked and died when she rushed to answer the phone by 3 family dogs(forget what breed),she is a stranger and her behavior must have triggered some dog instinct to attack.
Dogs are not the only ones who attack,families living near Sierre Madre lost their kids when eagle scooped up the kid and take off to its nest,poked the eyes out and tear apart the body.
In Canada,2 kids who have a buddy in school,his father owns a pet shop and a petting zoo live upstairs.
They spent the day visiting petting zoo and then returned to sleep overnite in the living room without taking a bath, a Burmese python escaped from its cage and killed both kids.
When the father came to the living room in the morning,it was too late ,so he called the police,he was charged with murder one year later.
They never reveal whether the python has swallowed the 2 kids ?

Old 05-30-2021, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most Rottweilers I have been around strike me as skittish and not that far removed from
going full-on schitzo.

The danger any dog can be to a tiny human should be obvious........how does stuff like
this keep happening?????
It seems the owners of these dogs are often very defensive,I wonder if they were given these dogs free and cant afford a better one like collie,pug,terrier?
the rottweiller,pit bulls are ugly and not likable.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:51 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
This is a tragedy. However, I see this in a similar way as the tragedies with kids having accodents with guns. Gun owners have to be responsible, and the fact that some aren't shouldn't impact the rights of responsible owners. The same with dogs. Owners have to be responsible.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:10 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
going full-on schitzo.

this keep happening?????
I don't know what it will take to wake some people up. It makes me sick. If talking about it and spreading the message prevents one senseless death it's worth it.

We have been forced to muzzle ourselves with masks for over a year for the "safety of others". Should be a no brainer to force others to muzzle a DOG.

I personally want some of these breeds to be treated like an exotic animal where people need land, enclosures and a special permit to keep them. Breed discrimination my azz. Wild animals like alligators and sharks don't kill this many people. Funny how some totally ignore statistics and science when making emotional arguments defending these dogs.

Here is a photo in this link of the 10 month old baby with one of the two Rotts. Also states we are tying a 40 year record for May with the most deaths caused from dogs in a month. The month isn't over...

https://www.animals24-7.org/2021/05/...ed-in-one-day/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies