Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
It seems the owners of these dogs are often very defensive,I wonder if they were given these dogs free and cant afford a better one like collie,pug,terrier?
the rottweiller,pit bulls are ugly and not likable.
“Scientists at the University of Helsinki studied the behavior of more than 9,000 dogs to assess aggressive behavior.
Some breeds are more likely to be aggressive, resorting to biting or snapping attacks, than others. The study, published in Scientific Reports, found that Rough Collies were the most aggressive breed. Miniature poodles, miniature schnauzers, German shepherds and Spanish water dogs were also found to be more aggressive.”

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...h-on-the-list/

Bottom line: people are often lulled into complacency when it comes to particular breeds/types of dogs.
Even more so when it’s their dog.

As I said before, never, ever, never leave any dog alone with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 08:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This is a tragedy. However, I see this in a similar way as the tragedies with kids having accodents with guns. Gun owners have to be responsible, and the fact that some aren't shouldn't impact the rights of responsible owners. The same with dogs. Owners have to be responsible.
Perfect analogy.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:31 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Moral of the story is that while owners like to talk how well they know their dog they seem to forget that they’re still animal. And occasionally their instincts will take over. I cringe when I see people posting pictures of large dog with their small children. Did you know that dogs often become secretly jealous of children because of the attention they receive? It can build up until they attack. Under no circumstances should you ever leave a child too small to fend for itself alone with your dog. I don’t care how well you think you know your dog. Very sad story. I can’t imagine being this child’s father.
The bolded: 100%!! agree.

Doesn't matter the breed. Even a 4lb Pomeranian killed a baby when left alone with the child.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:37 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Well, let's just ban dogs. Domesticated cats never kill anyone... they just want to.
Cats can be dangerous around cribs at night and not for the superstition of "sucking the air out of a baby" although they do like to stick their noses near their mouths.

The issue is cats will jump into a crib because its warm, off the ground, and it might help that another person is there to add safety. Cats can tilt over a bassinet or if large can sit on the infant themselves. Also cats do revert back to their instincts sometimes and will claw at things so having a baby crawling head first into cats is not the best idea. Just risking physical injury to areas like the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth.

Toxoplasmosis is a concern but not nearly as big as Mom eating undercooked meat while pregnant, the risk of a indoor cat transmitting from a litter box seems blown out of proportion.

If you have animals just do not leave them unattended with a infant or even a toddler as toddlers like to do things that might trigger an animal (bite them, pull tails, stick hands in a animal mouth).

Old 05-30-2021, 08:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
“Scientists at the University of Helsinki studied the behavior of more than 9,000 dogs to assess aggressive behavior.
Some breeds are more likely to be aggressive, resorting to biting or snapping attacks, than others. The study, published in Scientific Reports, found that Rough Collies were the most aggressive breed. Miniature poodles, miniature schnauzers, German shepherds and Spanish water dogs were also found to be more aggressive.”

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...h-on-the-list/

Bottom line: people are often lulled into complacency when it comes to particular breeds/types of dogs.
Even more so when it’s their dog.

As I said before, never, ever, never leave any dog alone with kids.
We are talking about severe injuries and deaths here. Don't whitewash the Pitts and Rotts. #1 and #2 on the most deadly list. This isn't just about leaving kids alone with dogs. They frequently kill their adult owners.

Here is a photo of everyone killed (when available) in 2019 & 2020. The dog breed that did the killing is also noted.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2019.php

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2020.php

The list of every fatal dog attack starting from the 1800's when records were kept speaks for itself. Dog isn't called "Man's Best Friend" for nothing. It's a big deal when they kill a human. In the 1960's when I was born only about one person on average a year died from a dog attack. That's how rare it was. There are links in the Wiki for current years. The only thing that changed when deaths went up is the type of breeds involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_(before_2000) (click on "did you mean" link at top)

Last edited by motownnative; 05-30-2021 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-30-2021, 09:24 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,742,578 times

For every dog that does any good in the world, there are a hundred who do nothing but disrupt and terrorize. Those "simple companion dogs" are companions to their owner and family, if applicable, and bitter enemies of the remainder of the human race. Bitter enemies of the vast majority of other living things, for that matter. Because of the threat they are to others, especially small children, they are near the pinnacle of owner selfishness and irresponsibility.

I have no idea where do you live, but in our neighborhood we have a very different situation. We had four dogs since 1986, the current is a 9-year old, male, 60 lbs Airedale. I could let any of our dogs out on the street, they could walk through any open door and become a cherished family member of whoever lives in that house. All our dogs were beautiful with impeccable, friendly manners.
There are several dogs on our street, I know them all, and I if any of these would show up in our yard I'd offer water and food, and a play of fetch before looking for their owners.

I've never lived in a ghetto neighborhood and I admit the experience you had with dogs might be valid.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:40 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
It seems the owners of these dogs are often very defensive,I wonder if they were given these dogs free and cant afford a better one like collie,pug,terrier?
the rottweiller,pit bulls are ugly and not likable.
Its being able to brag “Rescue Dog”.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:31 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Of course it matters. Just because you can identify outliers doesn't mean that the trend can be ignored.

IMHO, one of the biggest issue with dog owners in general but with owners of these dangerous breeds specifically is summarized by a favourite saying of mine:

"It's not the 99 times that everything is ok, it's the one time it isn't"

Many things fall into that category, but when it comes to dogs and dog attacks, the cost of that "one time" can be quite significant. Not to say that those breeds should be illegal, but more a message to owners that it's easy to fall into a fall sense of security because we all love our "little pups" and the onus is on dog owners to be cognizant of the risks.
But even at that, the deaths from dogs is statistically insignificant. There are 4.5 million pitbulls in the US, so the odds are just incredibly small for someone to be killed by one, to the point it is not even an issue. Over a 12 year period, 284 deaths. So that averages 24 deaths per year. With 4.5 million pitbulls, we are talking an absurdly low chance of being killed by one. You could say these number demonstrate just how safe pitbulls actually are.

That is not even counting that seems they love classifying any mutt that has a Molosser trait as a "pitbull".

Old 05-30-2021, 10:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
. Anyone who needs a "therapy dog" needs therapy, alright.
You clearly don't know what a therapy dog actually is. Not the same as an ESA. Therapy animals are brought into various setting, like schools and nursing homes, to give comfort to the clients. They are meticulously trained, and their handlers have full permission from each facility for them to be there.

My mother was in a rehab facility for a month in 2019 due to suffering a stroke. This facility utilized therapy animals, although Mom usually had something else scheduled, so she never got a chance to visit with any of them.

Pretty rude of you to say something like that about the clients of such a place.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
(Sigh) Here come the anti statistic, anti science dog nutters. Happens every time. The pit hags are the worst. They refuse to even believe what Dr.'s see in the ER first hand. Plastic surgeons have quite a bit to say too.

If you want to know why the madness continues, look no further. The pit bull lobby and their minions should not be involved in legislative issues at all. This is exactly why and how we got in this mess; their baseless arguments that put dogs over public safety speak for itself. That topic was mentioned in the Fifth Estate video I linked.

Now on to what the actual professionals say...

"It wasn't until the pit bulls (became popular) that I started seeing the really vicious attacks," the Bettendorf plastic surgeon said Monday.

Safety Before Pit Bulldogs: Medical Professional Experts on Treating Victims of Pit Bulls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies