Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:25 AM

16,703 posts, read 8,409,578 times

Advertisements

Ok most people have dogs...and this doesn't happen. Obviously the dogs were terribly trained and the poor baby should not have been left alone with them.

We have a 90 lb golden retriever who we had before having kids. Somehow we managed to get lucky enough to not have him attack our kids.

I have heard of this happening with dogs and babies, but the cases are very few and far between. There are probably more case of kids dying in hot cars than there are of kids dying from dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:27 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,120,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
My parents were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull when Dad was 79 and Mom was 73.

The pit bull jumped the fence and began attacking their small dogs. Dad was on the toilet and heard Mom calling for him. He ran outside and attempted to choke the pit bull in an effort to loosen its hold on their dog. It failed, after an attempt to stab it in a way that wouldn't kill it, Mom brought out Dad's revolver and he stopped the attack.

Long story short, Mom had a severe bite on her hand, Dad had a broken thumb, their Yorkie was mauled to death, two other dogs sustained severe injuries and expensive vet bills, but survived. The police threatened to charge my Dad with animal abuse and confiscated his firearm - for months. Animal control failed to test the pit bull for rabies as the law requires and Mom had to undergo a series of expensive and painful rabies vaccinations. The police also nearly charged my Dad with leaving the scene as he immediately rushed his dogs to the vet after the incident and before the police arrived.

Once a week I called into a local radio station and challenged the Chief of Police to a public discussion of the incident. The local news station ran four investigative reports on the incident, with a final scathing editorial. The police finally closed the investigation and released Dad's firearm.

The owner of the pit bull was not charged.
I would have done the same as your father. Might have used pepper spray first. I have used the stuff on threatening dogs and it works. But just in case I always carry serious backup for just such a situation as you describe.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have no biases against any particular animal or breed of animal, but I just never understand how anyone can leave such young ones alone in the vicinity of large and potentially dangerous animals.

Life is not always the same as YouTube videos where babies and small kids are happily hugging large animals.

https://abc11.com/family-dogs-attack...unty/10695022/
Some dogs cannot be trusted to be alone with small children Even if the dog is "friendly" they may still only know one type of play, rough. Dogs who play rough like that can put out a child's eye, or puncher a blood vessel, and they thought they were just being playful.

Add to this, that babies do not yet engage in the same acts and mannerisms as adults, so a dog may not know what signals the baby is trying the send. Babies will pull tails and hit dogs, because they do not yet know how to play nice. Dogs might take their actions as hostile and lash out with a quick nip, which can puncher the skin or put an eye as i said above.

I don't understand how these parents can have a baby in the home for 10 months and still not know whether they can trust their own dogs around it yet.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM

30,121 posts, read 18,733,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have no biases against any particular animal or breed of animal, but I just never understand how anyone can leave such young ones alone in the vicinity of large and potentially dangerous animals.

Life is not always the same as YouTube videos where babies and small kids are happily hugging large animals.

https://abc11.com/family-dogs-attack...unty/10695022/
I'll bet they "never bit anyone before"!

As much as I like dogs, just another reason to have cats instead. If you get a dog, get the nice breeds (Labs).

Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,253,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Ok most people have dogs...and this doesn't happen. Obviously the dogs were terribly trained and the poor baby should not have been left alone with them.

We have a 90 lb golden retriever who we had before having kids. Somehow we managed to get lucky enough to not have him attack our kids.

I have heard of this happening with dogs and babies, but the cases are very few and far between. There are probably more case of kids dying in hot cars than there are of kids dying from dogs.
It has nothing to do with training. It has to do with the inherent characteristics of dogs. Every time theres a pitt bull attack, you see people posting pictures of their 3 year old kid snuggling with their pitt bull. I cringe every time. When you hear of these attacks, the owners say..."oh he's a good dog, he's never done this before." Well yeah, every dog has a first time. And its often deadly.

I cant blame the dogs. Dogs will be dogs, especially the dangerous ones. Its just what they do. If people want these dogs, its up to them to keep them contained, muzzled, whatever. There should be really serious repercussions to people who wont keep these dogs in a safe manner.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I know people who were bitten by the family dog as a child, because when they were a toddler they were have a blast pulling and yanking the dog's tail, and they ended up with a nasty scar on their lip when the dog bit them in the face.

I have taught my kids from very early on, how to treat dogs and cats. You first make sure you are next to the child and dog, and teach both what is expected of them, and make it crystal clear what behaviors are forbidden. I have only had one dog, my son's, that could not be trusted around puppies or children, because he was to stupid to know how to be gentle. I go back to, how can you not know your own pets?????

Old 05-28-2021, 07:52 AM

33,594 posts, read 18,223,272 times
Anytime I have had visitors with young children , I put my dogs in the bedroom. One never knows if a dog is having a bad day and doesn't want a small child touching them.

I side with caution. This is terrible.. this situation is so sad to have your dogs kill your small baby. How horrendous and guilty that father must feel.

We never know from one minute to another when tragedy strikes. God help this family.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 AM

33,594 posts, read 18,223,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
My parents were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull when Dad was 79 and Mom was 73.

The pit bull jumped the fence and began attacking their small dogs. Dad was on the toilet and heard Mom calling for him. He ran outside and attempted to choke the pit bull in an effort to loosen its hold on their dog. It failed, after an attempt to stab it in a way that wouldn't kill it, Mom brought out Dad's revolver and he stopped the attack.

Long story short, Mom had a severe bite on her hand, Dad had a broken thumb, their Yorkie was mauled to death, two other dogs sustained severe injuries and expensive vet bills, but survived. The police threatened to charge my Dad with animal abuse and confiscated his firearm - for months. Animal control failed to test the pit bull for rabies as the law requires and Mom had to undergo a series of expensive and painful rabies vaccinations. The police also nearly charged my Dad with leaving the scene as he immediately rushed his dogs to the vet after the incident and before the police arrived.

Once a week I called into a local radio station and challenged the Chief of Police to a public discussion of the incident. The local news station ran four investigative reports on the incident, with a final scathing editorial. The police finally closed the investigation and released Dad's firearm.

The owner of the pit bull was not charged.
I was walking my dog around the corner and a young rottweiler came running toward us from across the street. I immediately dropped down to cover my dog who was a border collie. I thought if this dog is vicious I am protecting my dog at all costs. The owner who was raising them to sell them ran out of her yard, grabbed the big dog and apologized. I was thankful the dog didn't attack us. It was a large full grown dog but it was young.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
It has nothing to do with training. It has to do with the inherent characteristics of dogs. Every time theres a pitt bull attack, you see people posting pictures of their 3 year old kid snuggling with their pitt bull. I cringe every time. When you hear of these attacks, the owners say..."oh he's a good dog, he's never done this before." Well yeah, every dog has a first time. And its often deadly.

I cant blame the dogs. Dogs will be dogs, especially the dangerous ones. Its just what they do. If people want these dogs, its up to them to keep them contained, muzzled, whatever. There should be really serious repercussions to people who wont keep these dogs in a safe manner.
In my experience, you are correct, it comes down to the individual temperament of the dog. Some dogs are not suitable to being around children, some are. But even then, you don't leave your dog alone with small kids.

My beloved Husky was the best dog around children. He was so acquiescent towards people and children, that I was more concerned that he would get hurt, not any child. Kids could jump on him while asleep and all he would do is get out of their way. Multiple vets commented on how he allowed them to do anything to him, and he never pushed back. Which was sad because he passed away from cancer, and I knew while the docs were probing and such, that he was in a lot of pain already.

So yeah, you can train dogs only so much, but some are just hardwired and cannot be trusted around children and goofy toddlers. This is why some dogs are not suitable as seeing eye dogs.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I was walking my dog around the corner and a young rottweiler came running toward us from across the street. I immediately dropped down to cover my dog who was a border collie. I thought if this dog is vicious I am protecting my dog at all costs. The owner who was raising them to sell them ran out of her yard, grabbed the big dog and apologized. I was thankful the dog didn't attack us. It was a large full grown dog but it was young.
Yeah, those are the dogs I worry about. They are huge, but still think they are puppies and they tend to jump on people and kids alike, and play very rough, because they haven't learned proper dog to person social etiquette and what the excepted norms of behavior are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies