Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Or have Jordan and other countries assume control of those territories as they once did.<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why not just have Jordan resettle them into their country? They’re actually Jordanians.<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And Palestinians in the West Bank once were Jordanians by nationality after Jordan annexed the West Bank in 1950. Funny, you didn't hear any cries about Jordan denying the Palestinian their rights (the reason for that is clear I argue).
Quick reminder, not to you two, but the readers. there is really no such thing as a 'Palestinian' nationality because there never has been a nation or state of Palestine. Regarding Jordan, I again remind the readers of Black September.

Here, have a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 06:45 AM

12 posts, read 5,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Why do you think they were? I am sure we would all be intrigued by your honest answer.
I'm honestly trying to understand it and currently doing research on the topic because it's truely a unique phenomenon throughout history.

From a religious standpoint it might have to do with the following scene from the Bible:

Pilate asks the crowd, “What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Messiah?” The crowd answers, “Crucify him!” Pilate publicly proclaims Jesus’ innocence, but “they shouted all the louder, ‘Crucify him!’” (verse 23). Pilate then famously washes his hands, declaring himself to be “innocent” (verse 24) and telling the crowd that Jesus’ death “is your responsibility!” It is a responsibility that the mob accepts, shouting the chilling words, “His blood is on us and on our children!” (verse 25).

Old 06-11-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Seeing as how he went through all the trouble of creating a new account, he may as well tell us.

Otherwise the new account is just going to waste.
In all fairness, I have Observed from the US that the account itself is actually a year old. You're only looking at the post count.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:50 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer from EU View Post
I'm honestly trying to understand it and currently doing research on the topic because it's truely a unique phenomenon throughout history.

From a religious standpoint it might have to do with the following scene from the Bible:

Pilate asks the crowd, “What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Messiah?” The crowd answers, “Crucify him!” Pilate publicly proclaims Jesus’ innocence, but “they shouted all the louder, ‘Crucify him!’” (verse 23). Pilate then famously washes his hands, declaring himself to be “innocent” (verse 24) and telling the crowd that Jesus’ death “is your responsibility!” It is a responsibility that the mob accepts, shouting the chilling words, “His blood is on us and on our children!” (verse 25).
What do these New Testament verses blaming Jews for killing Jesus - which, by the way, caused thousands of years of persecution of Jews - have to do with Israel? I thought hating Israel had nothing to do with anger or hostility toward Jews, so why bring it up?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Interesting answer. Most folks call that a book of fairly tales . . . but the funny thing is, that book also says that they will be messed with all the time, and one day they will come back from the four corners of the Earth to Israel. That by no means means that that is the reason the Jews deserve Israel. It is not why I would say that they deserve to be there.

Folks who say the Bible refers to the Jews as the 'chosen people' as if that is some sort of exalted position are wrong. The Jews, according to the Bible as I see it, were 'chosen' to be persecuted, killed, and driven out of countries all over the world. It predicted a lot of bad things for the Jews.

And they have all pretty much happened. Some fairy tales, eh?

Old 06-11-2021, 07:40 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Tell me: are you this enraged by the outlandish and outright savage behavior of other countries, or just when the Jews are involved? Sure seems like your rage is devoted solely and entirely to the Jewish country. I can’t figure out why, when there are so many worse countries around.
Cheap shot. Childish.

It is not a flattering look.

I said it before and I will say it again: don't conflate the State of Israel with the Jewish religion. They are NOT the same.

Israel the state is a fallible institution, just like every other government. It has all the same warts and pimples as any other, and doesn't get a special pass from legitimate criticism just because there are Jews running things.

Last edited by Hesychios; 06-11-2021 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:

You should know that most of the Palestinian Jews converted to Christianity eventually.

By the sixth century that province of the Byzantine empire was majority Christian, with a Patriarch in Jerusalem. One could say then, that it was their ancestors who approved of the persecutions of Jesus. They knew it.

The Jews in the diaspora had nothing to do with that.

Also, there were times when Judaism was very open to converts. I have even read an account where several Christian priests in Gaul converted to Judaism (in the fifth century I think). This kind of thing was happening all the time in history.

The Roman border region along the Rhine attracted Jews among others for settlement, and it was a dynamic region for trade. Very early in it's history many pagan Germanic people living along the Rhine converted to Judaism.

There is a reason Jews from Norway don't look like Jews from Spain or Morocco. There is a reason Golda Meir looked like an old Polish woman and the de Rothschilds look like French aristocrats.

These people's ancestors had nothing to do with the persecution of Christ. They did view the Christianity spreading among them from synagogue to synagogue as a heresy, which from their point of view should be strictly correct. That's not the same as killing the messiah.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Decades of that have not worked out very well. I think everyone can agree it is not working.
Palestinians are not Jordanians, they are two different nationalities. I don't know that it can be forced upon them but if they agree by plebiscite it could possibly work. They could have a dual monarchy, like 'the kingdom of Palestine and Trans-Jordan' or something like that.

Then of course, Israel would have to move it's wall across to their own side of the border and vacate the illegal settlements.
I just realized you had spoken about dual monarchy comment.

Not PRECISELY the same, but King Hussein offered a very similar proposal in 1972. It would have created a federation with a West Bank and Jordan (now), with autonomy except for military/security and foreign affairs (run out of Amman)-providing oversight over the area.

Other Arab countries: no

Palestinians: no - "The people of Palestine alone, and in the necessary atmosphere of freedom, can decide on their own future and the future of their cause" -

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rn...20plan&f=false

Israel: no - "the Knesset has duly noted the Prime Minister's statement of March 16, 1972, regarding the speech made by the King of Jordan on March 11, 1972. The Knesset has determined that the historic right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel is beyond challenge." -

https://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/foreignpo...er%20meir.aspx

Neither comment is a good look or makes me hopeful there'll ever be an actual agreement.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

Not PRECISELY the same, but King Hussein offered a very similar proposal in 1972. It would have created a federation with a West Bank and Jordan (now), with autonomy except for military/security and foreign affairs (run out of Amman)-providing oversight over the area.

Palestinians: no - "The people of Palestine alone, and in the necessary atmosphere of freedom, can decide on their own future and the future of their cause" -

Israel: no - "the Knesset has duly noted the Prime Minister's statement of March 16, 1972, regarding the speech made by the King of Jordan on March 11, 1972. The Knesset has determined that the historic right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel is beyond challenge." -

Neither comment is a good look or makes me hopeful there'll ever be an actual agreement.
Informative post.

Interesting.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

Also from the Knesset's resolution:

"Israel will continue to be willing to negotiate - without prior conditions from either side - with any of the neighbouring States for the conclusion of a peace treaty."

Hussein declares Jerusalem capital of the Palestine region and that region will consist of the West Bank and any other Palestinian territories which are liberated and whose inhabitants desire to join it. Gaza ? Any land later ocuupied by Palestinians [Israel ?] ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies