Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
This is tiring. You said: "After all, it was THEIR countries that attacked Israel, and lost their land in the process." in an apparent justification of the wining side keeping the land.
What should the consequences be for attacking another country?

To me, keeping land, seems like it might be a good deterrent of future attacks.

If Israel lost, would their attackers have just left without taking land from Israel? Wouldn't they have taken all of Israel? And Israel wasn't even the aggressor. Would you be sticking up for Israel right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 03:15 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

If Israel lost, would their attackers have just left without taking land from Israel? Wouldn't they have taken all of Israel? And Israel wasn't even the aggressor. Would you be sticking up for Israel right now?
So, would you like to address my WW2 example then?

Old 06-09-2021, 03:34 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
No, because your example is trying to draw a parallel between Nazi Germany and Israel, as though these two countries that were attacked are at all comparable. Not only does it not compute, such a comparison is antisemitic according to the U.S. State Department’s definition.

Please use a non-antisemitic analogy.

Let’s say, for example, that Mexico despises Americans, and would like to see as many dead as possible. So, even though they are militarily inferior, they launch an unprovoked attack. California defeats them, and captures Baja California in the process. That region is now American land. The people living in Baja California now need to move to Mexico, or else they are squatting.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times
Quote:

I’m cool. Keeping land permanently = annexation. Not annexing but refusing to leave = occupation. Annexation = offering existing people living there citizenship or permanent residency. Moving them out unwillingly = ethnic cleansing.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
On the other hand.......I remember in later Roman History, say after Augustus, an Emperor, it may have been Cladius, who made everyone in Rome a citizen.

What a great thing to do, giving everyone the rights of citizen.....but it also meant that everyone paid Roman taxes.

I am not up on what are the rights and responsibilities of Israeli citizens but it may be that they are better off in some views if they aren't citizens.
EDIT: Here we are: https://www.worldhistory.org/Caracalla/

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-09-2021 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Ah, the winner's argument. Let's see: Former Soviet Union defeated Nazi Germany in WW2, after losing 30 million people. Now apply your argument
Quote:
I'll address it, but I'm not sure what your point is. Germany was split between the Soviets and the US/Great Britain.

East Germany was part of the communist block until Mr. Gorbachev tore down this wall in the late 80's when the Soviet Union was on the brink of bankruptcy.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I’m cool. Keeping land permanently = annexation. Not annexing but refusing to leave = occupation. Annexation = offering existing people living there citizenship or permanent residency. Moving them out unwillingly = ethnic cleansing.
You mean like the ethnic cleansing of the Jews from the Arab countries that nobody seemed to care about.

As I said, I am for a two state solution, but barring that, ethnic cleansing may be the only viable option. Send them all to Iran, and they can have a big "I hate America" festival together. They would probably like it there if they gave it a chance. Especially if what they are going through now is anywhere near as bad is they claim it is. One piece of desert is the same as another.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You mean like the ethnic cleansing of the Jews from the Arab countries that nobody seemed to care about.

As I said, I am for a two state solution, but barring that, ethnic cleansing may be the only viable option. Send them all to Iran, and they can have a big "I hate America" festival together. They would probably like it there if they gave it a chance. Especially if what they are going through now is anywhere near as bad is they claim it is. One piece of desert is the same as another.
You mean like the two wrongs don’t make a right? You’re seriously saying to ethnically cleanse. Ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:14 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:

Israel displaced the indigenous Palestinians, and continue to hold them in ghetto camps. Israel is in violation of human rights and war crimes.

Israel is wrong in what they are doing.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, because your example is trying to draw a parallel between Nazi Germany and Israel, as though these two countries that were attacked are at all comparable. Not only does it not compute, such a comparison is antisemitic according to the U.S. State Department’s definition.

Please use a non-antisemitic analogy.

Let’s say, for example, that Mexico despises Americans, and would like to see as many dead as possible. So, even though they are militarily inferior, they launch an unprovoked attack. California defeats them, and captures Baja California in the process. That region is now American land. The people living in Baja California now need to move to Mexico, or else they are squatting.
Did America annex? No? They ain’t squatting then. They’re occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies