Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 09:16 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
First of all. in or about 1854 Britain did not announce a "timeline" for Canada's steps to full independence, which by the way did not formally conclude until the Constitution Act of either 1980 or 1981 when the Constitution was "repatriated" to Canada. Second of all Canada was not such an integral part. The Quebec Acts of 1774, for example, showed that the British victory in the Seven Years Was of 1755-63, concluding on the Plains of Abraham was not so conclusive. Quebec's special status haunts Canada to this day.

Any phased independence for "Palestine" would have to be dependent on their peaceful rather than pugilistic record.
Thus my comment that the conditions must be clear and unambiguous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 09:17 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I actually don't care if you stopped reading. Go ahead and block me. I can not soften your hard heart and I don't expect you to change your mind, only you can do that.

I am writing for the benefit of others here who need to hear this.

Israel has occupied a place that does not belong to them. They get attacked. No one is really surprised.

They can either withdraw from the place, and give them their freedom, or grant those people full citizenship and admission into Israeli society with all that suggest: the vote and access to the courts. Stop treating them as second class in the job market. Respect their property rights.

This is not a novel idea, there are already Palestinians within Israel who are full citizens. Some are Christians and some are Muslims and there are even some who are Jews. Just give the West Bank Palestinians the same rights as the rest.
How about the Palestinian Authority set an example and hold elections for their own people. Fifteen years since the last election and this year's cancelled. The expectations for Israel are out of this world, yet the P leadership gets away with denying the basic right to free elections with nary a peep.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Thems the rubs when you are beholden to your sponsor states. Of course Israel could refuse but they get a lot of international aid which might dry up, access to advanced weapon systems, et cetera. The US would prefer that it not get sucked into a war in the region, so the billions do come with strings.
They get $3.5B a year, which is far from a make or break number. If the US stopped supporting them, I have no doubt that Jews around the world would contribute at least that much. Probably a lot more. Heck, Bloomberg alone, could give them that much if he wanted. He has said he is leaving the bulk of his fortune to charity anyway. Plus, we use their technology too. It is a good relationship.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It has to start with the Palestinians electing leaders who want peace with Israel. Electing Hamas terrorists, who refuse any offer short of Israel’s destruction, makes any two-state solution a non-starter.

Also, WHY does it have to be two states? Why can’t the Arabs just go to Jordan and Egypt? After all, it was THEIR countries that attacked Israel, and lost their land in the process.

P.S. Up until recently, like last week, I was in favor of a two-state solution. But with the liberals spewing their hate against Israel, and the U.N. continuing to operate under a pronounced anti-Israel bias, I think it’s time to consider Israel’s taking a harsher approach.
Ah, the winner's argument. Let's see: Former Soviet Union defeated Nazi Germany in WW2, after losing 30 million people. Now apply your argument

Old 06-09-2021, 12:03 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Hamas only is in the Gaza strip as an elected entity. Why don't you know that? The Palestinians did not start the violence, Israel did back in 1948 when the settler came and removed the Palestinians. Fact. Even if you don't like it.
Hamas was elected to a majority government to govern the PLO by voters in both the West Bank AND Gaza and remains popular: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_P...ative_election. That Fatah didn't want to hand over power (which had more to do with a thirst for power than disagreeing with Hamas) doesn't change that. So, I repeat what I wrote about Palestinians voting for terrorist organizations like Hamas. Why don't you know that?

Note, the real reason why Abbas canceled elections recently is because he knew his Fatah would lose to Hamas.

And Israel did not start violence. Jews declared their homeland independent and were savagely attacked by nations and groups seeking to wipe it off the face of the Earth

Old 06-09-2021, 12:06 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Also, your suggestion to relocate the Israelis to NJ and give all of Israel to the terrorist-led Palestinians is exactly what Hamas wants: to wipe out the existence of Israel. Why are liberals supporting the destruction of Israel?
Well, if you read the post I was responding to, he suggested moving all Palestinians to Detroit. I'm just pointing out that it would make just as much sense to move all Israelis to New Jersey.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Israel made strong initial attempts to have an open society, and from 1967 to the mid 1980s, one could drive the car from Bethlehem, Nablus, or Jerusalem all the way to Gaza without seeing a single checkpoint. Then came successive waves of suicide bombings, sometimes as many as two a month, and the barriers and checkpoints came into being. So the division again was brought about by Arab Palestian aggression in their continued bid to destroy Israel, and now the tail end of that is rocket attacks and random knifings.

I think anyone should look more to the neighboring Arab states rather than Israel Israel is doing its best in a largely defensive battle against surrounding nations and factions that still haven't give up on their aim of destroying Israel.
Exactly. Why some want to behave as if the border wall and other tight security measures came out of nowhere is beyond me.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:19 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
We don’t have to imagine what they will do. The Palestinians have elected terrorists that want to destroy Israel. All of a sudden Israel should give voting rights to people who have already shown, via their votes, that they want to weaken if not destroy Israel?

It seems that liberals have a lot of expectations of Jews that they would never expect of a non-Jewish country.
It has nothing to do with Jewish religion. It is a standard of modern democracy that you don't disenfranchise entire segments of the population based on their religion or ethnicity.

If Palestinians were given voting rights, and let's say someday they became the majority, would they vote to "destroy" Israel? Why would they destroy their own country? Now, they might vote to end the special status of the Jewish religion. Which would be fine - I don't care for theocracies, whether they be Islamic as in Iran or other.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:27 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
It has nothing to do with Jewish religion. It is a standard of modern democracy that you don't disenfranchise entire segments of the population based on their religion or ethnicity.

If Palestinians were given voting rights, and let's say someday they became the majority, would they vote to "destroy" Israel? Why would they destroy their own country? Now, they might vote to end the special status of the Jewish religion. Which would be fine - I don't care for theocracies, whether they be Islamic as in Iran or other.
It's not about the theocracy. It's about not allowing them the opportunity to vote for Israel to stand down, while Jews are being slaughtered somewhere else on the planet. That is the reason Israel exists in the first place.

Until you understand that, you will never understand why your proposal is a non-starter.

Never again, means never again.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Then why don't we hear the same attacks coming after other democracies? Every Islamic nation with Islam as a state religion disenfranchises entire segments of the population based on their religion. Yet, there is no leftist outcry. The UN doesn't make a peep about Iraq, whose constitution states that no law may be passed that contradicts Islamic tenets, which means that non-Muslims do not have an equal voice in the country: https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-r...-freedom/iraq/

Moreover, why don't we hear similar attacks against other countries in the region that don't even pretend to be democracies, but where actual human rights abuses are taking place? It shouldn't matter that a country is a democracy or not. A human rights abuse is a human rights abuse, no matter where it takes place.

Note, Israel never claimed to be a pure democracy. Israel is a Jewish state, the purpose of which is to help ensure that another Holocaust doesn't take place in a world where antisemitism is still rearing its ugly head thousands of years later.

Asking incredulously why Palestinians would vote to destroy Israel is also interesting when you only need look at the violent suicide bombings organized by the PLO and Hamas against Israeli civilians during the various Intifadas and the genocidal efforts by several Arab states to wipe Israel off the face of the earth over the years. Note, these suicide bombers were greeted as heroes by Palestinian society and their families provided for financially after the fact.

Israel isn't going to listen to leftists on this matter, but will do what it has to do in order to ensure that Jews have a homeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies