Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 06:36 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,718,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Quit? The military? Is that a thing?
Nope, not really.

I mean, there are ways you can be separated from service--PT failure, overweight/underweight on a consistent basis (and unable to pass a tape test)....but if the military suspects you're shamming in order to get separated on purpose, they can make your life pretty miserable while they have you, and they can make it so that your 'other than honorable' separation follows you into civilian life and makes things a bit more complicated for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 06:40 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
We really do need to retire "avoid like the plague" from English.

Anyway, these clowns will have to change their tune once FDA approval becomes a thing - which it will. In the meantime, Massie is just grandstanding.

Besides, this is the military. They have ways of getting from A to Z without going through all the pages in some bedroll lawyer's playbook.

"You refuse the vaccine, corporal? Sure, that's your right as of now. Of course, to avoid unit readiness issues, we will re-assign you to a posting with the rest of those who refuse. You may think of it as our strategic pool of unvaccinated soldiers in case of side effects, if you will. Your designated unit will be, let's see - Ah, the guard detachment for the radar station in Ookalook, Alaska. Population 1250, lovely aurora borealis, or so I hear. The clerk will have your orders ready in an hour or so, polar kit will be issued on base. Pack some snacks, it's a long flight."

Old 07-05-2021, 06:50 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I believe even military members can refuse to be part of a genetic experiment without facing disciplinary repercussions.
No.

As many of my drills loved to tell us, "The Army defends democracy, but the Army ain't a democracy."

Old 07-05-2021, 07:01 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Is there a reason why some of you believe US service members are required to be guinea pigs when there was already a court case in 2003 when the federal court ruled that US service members do not have to take anthrax vaccine?

Until covid vaccine is FDA is approved (which I suspect it’s going to be a while), nobody in the armed forces is required to take COVID vaccine

Old 07-05-2021, 07:45 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Huh?

The military members are themselves saying that they’ll quit.
Nothing about forcing anyone out.

I do wonder, though, about that contract thingy that they each signed. How would quitting work exactly?
You can't really "quit" the military. You can go AWOL, I suppose. That just means you get arrested and tossed in prison for up to a year and then dishonorably discharged though. Generally not a good way to go.

Up until the vaccines have full authorization though they can refuse to take them without any repercussions, at least official ones. They might have their lives made difficult although given how many people aren't taking them that's not all that likely. Safety in numbers. After that point though then it's just refusal to obey a lawful order, dishonorable discharge and up to two years in prison. So "quitting" is actually the better option, I guess. Just not a good one.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
I wonder how our Jewish military personnel feel about America violating the Nuremburg code on forced vaccinations?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:10 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,351,401 times
I’m skeptical if the vaccine even works. I also firmly believe masks and lockdowns don’t work, either.

But I do want to let everyone know that the unit I work for is nearly 100% vaccinated, including myself. I’m no longer active duty, retired after 24 years. But I’m a contractor now, doing basically the same job I used to while in uniform.

I suspect that my unit is similar to all the others, and the vast majority of military members are vaccinated.

So a handful of people threatening to quit doesn’t really mean much.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:47 PM

634 posts, read 328,000 times
Commands are being told to prep for mandatory vaccines as early as September 1st pending full FDA approval, so obviously someone in the DoD expects approval to be on the horizon. We'll see how many continue to grandstand at that point though or if they decide to shut up and color. I imagine the prospect of being unemployed right now won't seem too appealing to a lot of these people. It's not like anyone who does have a spine and sticks with their promise to get out will be missed though; people who don't want to follow orders and don't care about readiness clearly aren't worth keeping around.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:54 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Default Military Members Say They’ll Quit If Army Mandates COVID-19 Vaccine

Quote:
Military Members Say They’ll Quit If Army Mandates COVID-19 Vaccine
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think you can "quit" the military, lol. Ask all those prosecuted for going AWOL.

Exactly.
I come from a Military family. If they tell you to do something you do it. You do what you are ordered to do. Period. Quitting is not an option.

And if you 'quit'.....good luck with your AWOL prosecution.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:56 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
This also so utterly ridiculous.
It's a vaccine. It can save your life.
It has literally nothing to do with politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies