Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 11:28 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They should announce August as the last month for free vaccine shots. After that it’s $500 per and no, not covered by insurance. Stop kissing their butts!

After that the government should wash their hands of it and drop all restrictions no matter what.
So the goal is to punish people not stop the virus?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
They should just cut off insurance coverage for the unvaccinated, unless you have a reason you can't get the vaccine, which is maybe 1% of the population. I wouldn't force the vaccine, I wouldn't nag people to get it, but I wouldn't provide insurance coverage for someone not vaccinated who required a hospital stay or ventilator from getting covid. Period. That simple rule would cause a lot of people to change their minds if they were looking at a possible $150,000 hospital bill from requiring the ICU if they happen to get covid because they believed the vaccine conspiracy theories.
Yet actual health insurers, with skin in the game, don't do that. Hmm.

Oh, but you would force them to, if you were in charge. In that case, you're making a fantastic argument against government-run health care. "Let's have government stick our noses in private insurance so we can be vindictive psychopaths and punish people for opting out of our mass vaccination campaign" is not a great way to get people on board with the cause.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:29 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I haven't read the responses yet, but herd immunity is what I would think needs to happen in order for us to be done with virus. Social distancing and masks will prolong the problem. Just my opinion, now I'll read the responses.
Herd immunity can be achieved through vaccination.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:36 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Herd immunity can be achieved through vaccination.
I read somewhere that vaccination is the ONLY way to achieve herd immunity. It makes sense, because the worst disease are pernicious, they never really go away, they can always find new victims. Think Malaria, Polio, Smallpox etc. ... thousands upon thousands of years circulating through the population and herd immunity was never attained anywhere. Every new generation provides fresh new pathways for the disease.

If that is the case then these anti-vax Republicans have been operating on a flawed theory all along, risking long term organ damage or death, based upon a flawed principal.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Unfortunately viruses don't only kill dumb and unvaccinated people.
What evidence is there that the vaccinated people die at a rate comparable to the unvaccinated? That would be a huge deal.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:38 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
They should just cut off insurance coverage for the unvaccinated, unless you have a reason you can't get the vaccine, which is maybe 1% of the population. I wouldn't force the vaccine, I wouldn't nag people to get it, but I wouldn't provide insurance coverage for someone not vaccinated who required a hospital stay or ventilator from getting covid. Period. That simple rule would cause a lot of people to change their minds if they were looking at a possible $150,000 hospital bill from requiring the ICU if they happen to get covid because they believed the vaccine conspiracy theories.
You realize most people are never hospitalized for Covid? You also realize what you’re proposing is evil?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO we should continue to push the vaccines as hard as possible. If I were King, even actually paying or rewarding people in some way. The vaccines are the best illustration of spending $Billions to save $Trillions.
Vaccines may have already been the beginning of the end -whether or not this Covid is due to humans tinkering in labs, I think it's likely that far worse will eventually come from our white coated friends.

I think we need less faith in virology and vaccines, not more, and we need to think in terms of the continuation of the species, not the survival of individuals - viruses really are a different threat to anything else humanity faces and we need to understand that, and also that it's likely not natural viruses that are the biggest threat from viruses.

I would go as far as to say, that unchecked Covid could be the wake up call we need.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Yet actual health insurers, with skin in the game, don't do that. Hmm.

Oh, but you would force them to, if you were in charge. In that case, you're making a fantastic argument against government-run health care. "Let's have government stick our noses in private insurance so we can be vindictive psychopaths and punish people for opting out of our mass vaccination campaign" is not a great way to get people on board with the cause.
HC insurance really enjoys the vaccines. Spending zero on free vaccines and saving huge moneys not spending on the inevitable serious Covid 19 cases.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:34 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
What evidence is there that the vaccinated people die at a rate comparable to the unvaccinated? That would be a huge deal.
For now it's apparently zero.

Until Delta Plus G Clade variant proliferates in the fall and breaks through vaccine mediated immunity more.

Once a new spike protein is generated it's back to square one.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The unvaccinated will continue to host Covid variants until everyone susceptible to Covid has either had it and developed immunity or died and no longer able to function as a Covid host.

Those with weaker immunity systems are the first to die. That would be the elderly and those with chronic health conditions such as diabetes.

Next up -- those rolling the dice.

Darwin at work. Thinning of the herd.
At last we agree. Maybe it's for the best. Not that I hope anyone dies but these people have room temperature IQ's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies