Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 10:48 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then explain why fetal homicide laws don't work to put a stop to or reduce women getting abortions.
Because they create a separate special class that protects some people but not others from prosecution for killing another human's life.

That's unconstitutional, by the way. It violates the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

"nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Old 12-11-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Nevertheless, you certainly give the impression that you would quite strongly support all or nearly all bans on abortions.
You can believe any imaginary notion you conjure. Your imagination does not equal truth.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
That’s the law and it doesn’t stop millions of men from walking away and never paying child support. It’s quite common.
A lot of people violate the law. That doesn't mean they're somehow not responsible for doing so.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:53 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No state is ever going to allow men to walk away from child support because then if the mother can't support the child the state will have to.

Even in backwaters like MS and TX I imagine people don't want to be stepping over starving infants and children while they are out and about.
Oh I get it. I know why the law is the way it is. It would be terrible for the children if the dad didn't want to support them. But it's still better than having their head drilled, which is what the mother can decide to do.

If abortion is legal (and I think it should be), then we have to give the father a "choice" too. I understand that will put a burden on the state, but it's only fair. It should be a legal "choice" for the father as to whether or not he wants to commit to raising a child for 18 years. I'm not talking about this from an ethical or moral perspective, I'm only talking about the law and how the law treats these cases.

Personally, I believe that EVERY father should support their children and anyone who doesn't is a piece of garbage. But law should give them a choice, especially if they declare their unwillingness to be a parent while the child is still in the womb. If a guy uses birth control during a one-night-stand and it fails, should he be saddled with raising a child with a woman he hardly even knows for 18 years? Why does she get a "choice" and he doesn't? That's not good law.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:54 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I am not wrong.
You better hope you are because your right to use birth control depends in part on the 9th amendment.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The number is irrelevant to an essential liberty.
Gun control laws are irrelevant to an essential liberty, yet states have them and enforce them anyway. If states can restrict 2nd Amendment Rights, and they do (even red states do), they can restrict any perceived right to abortion.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Because they create a separate special class that protects some people but not others from prosecution for killing another human's life.

That's unconstitutional, by the way. It violates the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

"nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
So how do you want that resolved?

You want people who murder women and their babies to go free.

Or you want women who get abortions to be charged with murder.

Not that I buy your argument and not that any court does but we can pretend we live in your fantasy world for a while.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Gun control laws are irrelevant to an essential liberty, yet states have them and enforce them anyway. If states can restrict 2nd Amendment Rights, and they do (even red states do), they can restrict any perceived right to abortion.
apples and oranges

Old 12-11-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Finally, you see the light.

They have a choice which I might add is none of your concern.
Unless everyone has the choice to kill an unborn child without threat of criminal prosecution, no one can have that choice. 14th Amendment Equal Protection Clause.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You better hope you are because your right to use birth control depends in part on the 9th amendment.
The 9th Amendment has nothing to do with States' Rights, which is what is at issue in this SCOTUS case.

Furthermore, there is no so-called trigger law that bans birth control. Your hysterical imaginings otherwise are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies