Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 12:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I"m curious as to why people believe they have to be told what to do, rather than vote on the laws, they like and kick out what they don't want. China might make a great home, if that is what people are looking for ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They do in some states. But it can be too difficult to get the required number of signatures for a petition calling for a vote on an issue, including repealing laws legislators recently passed.
It seems that is on the citizens living within a State, deciding which issues are important to them. So because of that, the Federal government (thousands of miles away) is to decide (dictatorship) what the people should and should not deem important within their State laws? Seems to me doing that it is no longer 'we the people' but rather 'we the Federal government'. States then become the slaves to the Federal government ... (old argument from late 1700s era; still applies)

Old 12-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Can't wait until conservatives start adopting the 700,000 kids a year they claim they're saving. And keeping them off welfare of course. Can someone tell me what the conservative movement's plans are to take care of all of these additional children? Massive adoption? More orphanage funding? Boarding schools? I haven't heard one conservative proposal on what to do with all these additional kids that need food, nurture, education, entertainment, etc.

Can someone tell me what the conservative plans are again to take care of this massive additional amount of children?
1.79 fertility rate; it's not an issue.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The founders are rolling in their graves.

There were no laws against abortion when they founded! Tonics to cause abortion were advertised in newspapers.
So why did this need to become a Constitutional issue? It seems to me people were doing just fine without the added input from the Supreme Court.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Too funny a strict constructionist disregarding the text of the Constitution. Hypocrite much?

If the court had told TX to sit down and shut up because they plan to make it all a moot point, they would have much more respect for their honesty if not their ruling. Thinking they are going to get away with an effort to baffle people with 48 pages of BS is just BS.

There are no abortion mills.

But, doesnt matter. Women arent going to follow any silly laws the states or the cowardly Supremes who cant even enforce their own laws come up with. We know what our rights are.
125 pages ...

Old 12-11-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You have zero right to be inside someone's bedroom monitoring how they control their reproduction like some kind of sick voyeur. Nor does the state.
And yet, here we are. How'd that happen? Oh yea, the Federal government needs to be in people's bedroom.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:31 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Men can't just walk away. Fathers are routinely saddled, legally with 18+ years of child support payments.

The average child support in America is $400 a month. That's not even a week of daycare, much less food, clothing, medical care, toiletries, furniture, baby-proofing, etc. Men can absolutely walk away from most financial obligation.

Men can walk away from lost wages or job loss due to pregnancy. Men's careers aren't impacted negatively by pregnancy, so they don't lose wages over the long term the way that women do.
Men can walk away from adverse health impacts of pregnancy and post-partum, including death. They can walk away from lifelong medical bills as the result of pregnancy. They have no financial obligation to support a woman they got pregnant, only minimal obligation to a baby.
Men can walk away from supporting a woman logistically or financially on bedrest during or after pregnancy.
Men can walk away from childcare, other than weekends (and many men walk away from even that much) when they can get to be the "fun" parent.

When people say they want men to have a say in pregnancy, do they also want men to have a responsibility in financial matters? A relatively noncomplicated pregnancy for me would be at least $50,000 in lost wages, medical bills, and other pregnancy-related costs. Yes, that's with insurance. It is likely that I would need bedrest due to past medical complications, which would increase that cost more. Because FMLA is only 3 months, and bedrest + recovery can be longer than that, I may lose my job. Would the father be legally obligated to replace half of my wages, including retirement and other benefits, during maternity leave (which, whether or not you give up a child for adoption, is a necessity for recovery) or potential job loss? Would he be responsible for half of my medical bills?

Men may want half the say, but they certainly don't want half the full responsibility.

Last edited by charolastra00; 12-11-2021 at 12:53 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 12:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times
Quote:
We were talking about opinions issued on the TX case yesterday.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Supreme Court, by casting aside their sworn duty to uphold the law and constitution for us all, are imperiling the freedoms of everyone. But it appears that the aggressive and vindictive conservatives that are cheering for their current decisions, do not seem to think that freedoms should exist for any other than those of their ilk. They are on a warpath to cause destruction of this country, not save it. Their hatefulness of those with other opinions will lead to the downfall of us all. It will be realized, perhaps too late, all the rancor and instability that the nation-wrecking Trump has brought down on us, just to serve his own pathetic little ego.
Quote:
Yes, they have made a mockery out of themselves.

A court that cannot even enforce it's own law is worthless.
How did this end up in the Supreme Court lap to begin with ... ? Keep doing that enough times, they will get tired of it, then the people will loose this decision to the States ... which is where it belongs any way.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times
Quote:
So why did this need to become a Constitutional issue? It seems to me people were doing just fine without the added input from the Supreme Court.
Doctors in the mid 1800's started lobbying for laws to protect their incomes from midwives and other medical practictioners. Some moralizers allied with them to pass laws.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:34 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Well, lot's of things have become constitutional issues that weren't in 1788. Science and technology have created legal and moral dilemmas that simply didn't exist back then. As our understanding of the World evolves, our understanding of how we employ the law to achieve equality and justice has to evolve with it.

Even our founders, who were really quite ignorant of what we'd call science nowadays, knew that. Hence they allowed for constitutional amendments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies