Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 06:32 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's not really clear the purpose of these American remaining in Afghanistan in August when we should have been out May 1, my guess is like yours that these were DOD contractors. I also suspect that many thought the withdrawal would be continually delayed.
I think there were much more than contractors. I'm sure there were plenty of CIA analysts, and their support infrastructure. For those people it is their job to be there. I see many are quick to point their finger at the contractors because it was their "choice" to stay...forgetting about the countless others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 06:40 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Contractors made the fatal mistake of believing Biden would keep them safe. Chaos at the airport, but then Biden told us chaos is to be expected.....lmao

Old 08-23-2021, 06:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You realize that evacuating civilians first would have been a vote of no confidence in the Afghan military and government? That could’ve destabilized the entire country way more quickly.

There are zero “common sense” withdrawals when you lose a war. It was always going to be messy and there is nothing we could have done about it.
You do realize that you never remove all troops and then send troops back in to evacuate civilians, right? What we're seeing is the result of that bonehead move.

That's the point.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:58 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Three Balkan (Muslim) countries have offered to help desperate Afghans, but no refugees have flown in on U.S. flights.
What's going on? Is the US in shortage of planes? I heard that 18 commercial planes has been added to help evacuate. What happened to US military planes?
Now other countries offered to help accommodate refugees from Afghanistan but there aren't any. Did the US refuse that offer?

Officials in North Macedonia, Kosovo and Albania — neighboring Balkan countries whose populations have experienced violence themselves — said last week that they had offered to temporarily take in those fleeing Afghanistan.
But a week after the Taliban completed their lightning-fast takeover of the country, finally walking into Kabul last Sunday without firing a shot, no refugees have arrived on U.S. flights, officials in the countries said. They did not know when the Afghans would arrive.
They are waiting for information and organizing hotels for the refugees to stay in.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said Friday that the U.S. was trying to transfer people through countries in the region, like Qatar, in part for fuel efficiency.

Seriously? Is this the right moment to think about savings on fuel costs????
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...s-are-n1277401

Old 08-23-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It would only be fair to give Biden the same amount of time that Trump had. Albeit that the word "fair" is not one normally associated with Trump. Getting the US out of Middle Eastern wars will be an accomplishment that will dwarf anything that Trump did.
No, you said Biden has already accomplished far more than Trump. Site those accomplishments.

Otherwise, we'll just assume you posted something without thinking it through and have no examples.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80

Weren't Americans forewarned that the war was ending and all troops were coming home? I mean withdrawal was supposed to be May 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, I keep hearing this. Can people elaborate more on it ? Now I understand, the contract operators there making money, probably wanted to ride it to the end. I'm entirely sure it's like a typical hourly job, were they under contract ? I think many are either ignoring just don't know, civilians that are there are not all just operators. I'm sure for many, it was their job to be there. Analysts, interpreters, IT , etc.
Biden changed the date to September 11. I don't know why Wintergirl80 and others think they should have left in May or June or July or whatever they're thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Then you should be extremely supportive of the United Sates' President Biden who shares your views and has our military and diplomatic troops striving to achieve them.

The Biden administration has never said it would turn its back on those you mention. The critics of the current POTUS are lying about this and claiming defeat for the USA while an ongoing military withdrawal and diplomatic agreement made by the former administration ( think Trump) is being carried out. Shame on those wishing defeat for their nation to spite their president.

The last of U.S. troops are in Afghanistan to rescue Americans and, as Biden put it, “those Afghans who have worked alongside us, served alongside of us, gone into combat with us, and provided invaluable assistance to us, such as translators and interpreters. The United States stands by its commitment that we’ve made to these people, and it includes other vulnerable Afghans, such as women leaders and journalists." I've heard these words in a variety of ways since he took office. Perhaps if you'd been listening you would have heard them also.

Last week, yet again, in response to a reporter’s question, he reiterated his commitment to special immigrant visa recipients: "There’s nothing more important than bringing American citizens out. I acknowledge that. But Afghan citizens, they’re equally important — all those who — those “SIVs,” we call them, who, in fact, helped us. They were translators. They went into battle with us. They were part of the operation. As well as — we’re also trying to get out as many NGOs — nongovernmental organizations — women’s organizations"..... et cetera.

13,000 Afghani people have been evacuated since Aug. 14. By this weekend the number was up to roughly 18,000 (22,000 since early August) You do recall that Americans & Afghans knew, under the Trump-Taliban agreement ( with a last May deadline attached) which the USA honored, ( with an extension of the date to August 31) the Taliban were welcomed back in country and at the table and in the streets to continue their fight for control of the Afghan government.

You are wrong to claim our current mission includes turning our backs on people. Why do you wish for the difficult military and logistical operation of leaving Afghanistan after 20 years to fail? Why do you support the Taliban, and their victory over the Afghan government ---which we supported and propped up for decades? Why do you seed phony Taliban propaganda by falsely claiming we are not honoring our commitments?

When all eyes can see we are attempting to honor our commitments, in a difficult ONGOING MISSION, why do so many folks root for our military, their commander-in-chief and country to fail?

It sounds like you don't realize how badly Biden botched this up 1) not sticking to the agreed upon date of May 1, and 2) by removing ALL troops and then sending them back to get people who should have been evacuated prior to removing all troops.

And now you want us to give him a medal for trying to salvage what he botched up? Surely you're joking.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:14 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Three Balkan (Muslim) countries have offered to help desperate Afghans, but no refugees have flown in on U.S. flights.
What's going on? Is the US in shortage of planes? I heard that 18 commercial planes has been added to help evacuate. What happened to US military planes?
Now other countries offered to help accommodate refugees from Afghanistan but there aren't any. Did the US refuse that offer?

Officials in North Macedonia, Kosovo and Albania — neighboring Balkan countries whose populations have experienced violence themselves — said last week that they had offered to temporarily take in those fleeing Afghanistan.
But a week after the Taliban completed their lightning-fast takeover of the country, finally walking into Kabul last Sunday without firing a shot, no refugees have arrived on U.S. flights, officials in the countries said. They did not know when the Afghans would arrive.
They are waiting for information and organizing hotels for the refugees to stay in.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said Friday that the U.S. was trying to transfer people through countries in the region, like Qatar, in part for fuel efficiency.

Seriously? Is this the right moment to think about savings on fuel costs????
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...s-are-n1277401
If all that is so, it might be a good thing. It might mean Biden was telling the truth about every Afghani being processed and checked out. Although none after a week does seem strange.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
Trump drew down US troops from 8,500 when he took office to 2,500 when he left, the situation was stable and we had a contingency plan to get the rest out. Biden admin seemingly didn’t plan for this scenario which is unbelievable. They only seemed to care about checking off the “remove troops” box. Now we send in 3x the amount of troops we had originally stationed there to a much more dangerous situation. We couldn’t look any dumber if we tried. Biden had made Trump look like a foreign policy savant.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 AM

100 posts, read 45,019 times

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lBgfqLc9ZI0&feature=share

Old 08-23-2021, 07:24 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Great article and list that exposes Biden’s long history of dishonesty, corruption and total incompetence politically.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...e-said-he-was/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies