Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 03:39 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Point being is these are people who usually have kids and have to make rent. Not someone looking for some fun money for the weekend. Thank deindustrialization and neoliberalism for that......

50 years ago, most of these people would've worked in manufacturing
To some extent it is deindustrialization as automation has taken quite a few jobs. The other problem is shipping jobs overseas and across the border. so all those liberal owned tech companies can make more money. Hehe. Okay, to be far, there are plenty of conservative run businesses that have done that as well. If wages to make burgers are that high, how much do they have to charge for that burger? What I see happening is that those types of restaurants and other comparable jobs will cease to exist. Then what do those workers do? The alternative is a vicious cycle of having to pay everyone more and then we just end up here again. I'm not against raising wages, but there is the realization that some jobs don't require much skill, education, or have much risk to them.

If the 30 year old wants to make more money, they have to make themselves more valuable to the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 03:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
LMAO. Good one.

The GFC happened because the banks were forced to lend to people who didn't qualify by the government. Then they did the smart thing by getting what is essentially junk bonds off their books.

Again, a government failure.
It was deregulation that let the subprime lenders prey everyone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...nment_policies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ...8#Deregulation

(And I know some posters have an issue with wiki. However, its more legit source than any poster here. Anyone can write or edit which means it is more peer reviewed than any post here. Also do not say to look at the sources listed on the because there is more references there than, I am sure any, poster has ever read about on any given topic)

But yes, the govt/taxpayers forced the poor bankers to loan money to unqualified individuals. In return, the poor bankers only to get to have the only actual thing of value, namely the piece of property, in return once these unqualified individuals default inevitably. On top of that they get an enormous bailout, and golden parachute for the execs in case the banks need more money to pay for things they bought on credit they can no longer afford once these unqualified loans default.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 11-07-2021 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 03:43 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
It depresses me when I see people as brainwashed by right wing propaganda as you. You think you're a winner, but you aren't winning. Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates are winning, and they're laughing at people like you who are making it possible for them to stack the deck even more in their favor
All three of those people have built amazing organizations and changed the way things are done. I think they deserve to make a crap load of money from their idea and work. I'm with you that wages need to go up across the board, but there is a limit and yes, some people should make more than others. Do you disagree with that?

Old 11-07-2021, 03:57 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It was deregulation that let the subprime lenders prey everyone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...nment_policies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ...8#Deregulation

(And I know some posters have an issue with wiki. However, its more legit source than any poster here. Anyone can write or edit which means it is more peer reviewed than any post here. Also do not say to look at the sources listed on the because there is more references there than I am sure any poster has ever read about any given topic)

But yes, the govt/taxpayers forced the poor bankers to loan money to unqualified individuals. In return, the poor bankers only to get to have the only actual thing of value, namely the piece of property, in return once these unqualified individuals default inevitably. On top of that they get an enormous bailout, and golden parachute for the execs in case the banks need more money to pay for things they bought on credit they can no longer afford once these unqualified loans default.
Your ENTIRE last paragraph is a product of government action/inaction. Why are we forcing banks to lend to people who can't afford homes to begin with? Again, ideologically driven bureaucrats with badges who face no consequences for THEIR FAILURES regulating industries they don't understand. How many of the bureaucrats that forced banks to lend to unqualified borrowers got fired? Exactly.

Either way, it's a government failure. End of Story. There is no way around it.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:10 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
It depresses me when I see people as brainwashed by right wing propaganda as you. You think you're a winner, but you aren't winning. Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates are winning, and they're laughing at people like you who are making it possible for them to stack the deck even more in their favor

You're the one brainwashed with envy.

Someone told you that the rich are that cause of all your woes and you believe them.

Because it's easier to blame someone else than it is to look yourself in the mirror and accept that YOU are responsible for your own life.

I'm not a millionaire, but I have the self respect of knowing that I made my own way through life and built a decent standard of living for myself and my family without crying about how others have more than me.

You have nothing but the vile feeling in the pit of your stomach of knowing I'm right.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:37 PM

979 posts, read 418,512 times
Quote:
You're wrong and we've been over this, unless you earn over $87k per year (my salary), I earn more than you do. But that doesn’t mean I drank the Kool Aid and think everything is hunkidori like you do. I realize there are real problems, and it been a short enough period of time since I was working poor that I haven't forgotten how much it sucked
Take $12k a year and find a working poor family that needs it, Mr. Moneybags.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:39 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Take $12k a year and find a working poor family that needs it, Mr. Moneybags.

Exactly. Feel free to support working poor families with your own money out of your own pocket.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:43 PM

979 posts, read 418,512 times
Quote:
It's not just me Mr. Right winger, I have responsibilities besides myself now
I'm not really a right winger ... but, you sound kind of selfish.

Your old lady works, right?

Old 11-07-2021, 05:08 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,602,221 times
after 40 years of tax cuts and offshoring manufacturing jobs...we were all told the future lies in service sector type work...

not everybody that says they are a business owner belongs in such business..i delivered pizza ten or more years ago and i was always glad to get out of that madhouse of a pizzeria to deliver pizzas, and i had a very good person as boss,

he replaced the one that had us count boxes every week who was so in fear of upper management she did not know how to make a pleasant environment

Old 11-07-2021, 05:18 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
You're wrong and we've been over this, unless you earn over $87k per year (my salary), I earn more than you do. But that doesn’t mean I drank the Kool Aid and think everything is hunkidori like you do. I realize there are real problems, and it been a short enough period of time since I was working poor that I haven't forgotten how much it sucked

I don't give a wet slap how much money you make.

You're ideology sucks.

It's built around the politics of envy.

Which is why people like you on the Left hate bootstrap philosophy.

Because when you see that people can survive and succeed on their own, it blows a huge hole in everything your side believes in.

Your entire world is built around the the concept that people have no control over their own lives.
That no amount of personal responsibility will change the fact that someone else is holding them down.

Bootstrap philosophy makes the Left look in the mirror......

And they don't like what stares back at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies