Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 09:24 PM

17,694 posts, read 6,958,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Nighty night.
Please, go to bed.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I didn't realize you were an adherent of the bible, stilly. please direct us to the correct passage so that we can check it out.
I don't recall ever seeing the term fetus in the bible, so this is most fascinating.
God in the Christian Bible isn't really pro-life, in the modern sense of the term. He calls for miscarriages/etc multiple times. Two I remember off the top of my head are below.

Numbers 5: Calls for a man to take his wife to a priest and have the priest cause a miscarriage, in the event the wife is unfaithful.

Deuteronomy 28: one of god's punishments for disobedience is causing miscarriage

Old 12-04-2021, 09:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I suppose if all one reads comes from anti-abortion organizations like the one you listed, then that is what one will believe.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
I suppose if all one reads comes from anti-abortion organizations like the one you listed, then that is what one will believe.
You just proved NewtoVenice's point. You didn't read it.

You fell right into the trap. Well done, you!

Old 12-04-2021, 09:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,972,499 times
Quote:
You just proved NewtoVenice's point. You didn't read it.

You fell right into the trap. Well done, you!
I did read it. And then noticed who published it. It is an organization with a specific agenda. Not objective enough for me.

Why do you accuse me of falling into a trap?

Old 12-04-2021, 09:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
I did read it. And then noticed who published it. It is an organization with a specific agenda. Not objective enough for me.

Why do you accuse me of falling into a trap?
I guess you missed this when you thoroughly read it:

Quote:

Comments made this year by Leana Wen, the former president of Planned Parenthood, are an example of this myth in action. She stated: “Before Roe v. Wade, thousands of women died every year.”

The Washington Post, which is by no means a prolife outlet, pointed out the falsity of such comments: “Even given the fuzzy nature of the data and estimates, there is no evidence that in the years immediately preceding the Supreme Court’s decision, thousands of women died every year in the United States from illegal abortions.”

Bernard Nathanson, a former abortionist and the co-founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL Pro-Choice America), was an early propagator of the back-alley abortion myth. Concerning the use of statistics of 5,000 to 10,000 deaths a year, Nathanson stated, “I confess that I knew the figures were totally false, and I suppose the others did too if they stopped to think of it. But in the ‘morality’ of our revolution, it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics? The overriding concern was to get the laws eliminated, and anything within reason that had to be done was permissible.”
You discounted the fact that the Washington Post came to the same conclusion.

You discounted the quote of Bernard Nathanson, a co-founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League where he admits they knew the numbers were totally false, but never corrected them because it served their purpose.

You didn't read the article, apparently.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:56 PM

7,160 posts, read 4,753,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Wrong. A reaction to stimulus is meaningless if there is no biological framework for consciousness.
Keep up with science.
Keeping up with science, they disagree with you.

QUOTE: Reconsidering fetal pain

In summary, current neuroscientific evidence undermines the necessity of the cortex for pain experience. Even if the cortex is deemed necessary for pain experience, there is now good evidence that thalamic projections into the subplate, which emerge around 12 weeks’ gestation, are functional and equivalent to thalamocortical projections that emerge around 24 weeks’ gestation. Thus, current neuroscientific evidence supports the possibility of fetal pain before the “consensus” cut-off of 24 weeks.

https://jme.bmj.com/content/46/1/3

Old 12-04-2021, 10:01 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
Quote:
I guess you missed this when you thoroughly read it:

You discounted the fact that the Washington Post came to the same conclusion.

You discounted the quote of Bernard Nathanson, a co-founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League where he admits they knew the numbers were totally false, but never corrected them because it served their purpose.

You didn't read the article, apparently.
well done

Old 12-04-2021, 10:03 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
God in the Christian Bible isn't really pro-life, in the modern sense of the term. He calls for miscarriages/etc multiple times. Two I remember off the top of my head are below.

Numbers 5: Calls for a man to take his wife to a priest and have the priest cause a miscarriage, in the event the wife is unfaithful.

Deuteronomy 28: one of god's punishments for disobedience is causing miscarriage
a miscarriage is not an abortion, and no mention of fetuses.

anything else?

Old 12-04-2021, 10:05 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Keep up with science.
Keeping up with science, they disagree with you.

QUOTE: Reconsidering fetal pain

In summary, current neuroscientific evidence undermines the necessity of the cortex for pain experience. Even if the cortex is deemed necessary for pain experience, there is now good evidence that thalamic projections into the subplate, which emerge around 12 weeks’ gestation, are functional and equivalent to thalamocortical projections that emerge around 24 weeks’ gestation. Thus, current neuroscientific evidence supports the possibility of fetal pain before the “consensus” cut-off of 24 weeks.

https://jme.bmj.com/content/46/1/3
That article reinforces my point. Consciousness is not in tact until 24 weeks. The topic at hand is when consciousness begins, not when 'fetal pain' begins. I understand a fetus has reactions to stimuli prior to 24 weeks. Given there isn't consciousness at that time, that statement is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
a miscarriage is not an abortion, and no mention of fetuses.

anything else?
The Bible condones forcing a miscarriage. That is condoning abortion. If you have a biblical passage claiming the god of the christian bible forbids abortion, post it. I used to be very religious, and I don't recall that passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies