Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:27 PM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times

Advertisements

I see news about people scrambling to get tested and I don't see the point, I guess just so you know if you should quarantine yourself or not?

I can see scrambling to get vaccinated. But it's like,..ok ,..you test positive then what? Get the vaccine? You should have gotten it anyway if you are that worried. And if you already have the vaccine , why bother testing.

Do you feel ok? The hospital will just tell you to stay home until you get bad enough to be admitted.

I guess why stand on line for a test when you should be standing in line for a vaccine instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 09:39 PM

17,399 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I see news about people scrambling to get tested and I don't see the point, I guess just so you know if you should quarantine yourself or not?

I can see scrambling to get vaccinated. But it's like,..ok ,..you test positive then what? Get the vaccine? You should have gotten it anyway if you are that worried. And if you already have the vaccine , why bother testing.

Do you feel ok? The hospital will just tell you to stay home until you get bad enough to be admitted.

I guess why stand on line for a test when you should be standing in line for a vaccine instead.
In NYC, there are certain public facing professions that “require” you to get tested if you’re exposed - no matter if you have symptoms or not.

The vast majority of New Yorkers are vaccinated - and a lot have gotten boosted. While it’s easy to get the vaccine, getting an appointment isn’t quick. I just did a quick search - I can get boosted tomorrow at my Indiana local Walgreens or the next available appointment at a Walgreens near my kid in NYC is Jan 2.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:49 PM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In NYC, there are certain public facing professions that “require” you to get tested if you’re exposed - no matter if you have symptoms or not.

The vast majority of New Yorkers are vaccinated - and a lot have gotten boosted. While it’s easy to get the vaccine, getting an appointment isn’t quick. I just did a quick search - I can get boosted tomorrow at my Indiana local Walgreens or the next available appointment at a Walgreens near my kid in NYC is Jan 2.
I see, ok. More for job requirements than panic.

I'm not at all against vaccines, I'm just lazy, heh. still need a booster. I planned to do it with my kid over break but seems like after Jan 2cd will end up being when if the wait is still crazy.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:16 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Daughter's SIL works at a LI Salon where all stylists are required to be vaccinated. They had a Christmas party and all 10 stylist got sick and tested positive. Daughter's wife (fully vaccinated) was at the party for short time and feels fine. Their 2 year old is also ok.

Daughter (fully vaccinated with booster) started feeling sick with flu like symptoms. She searched around and couldn't find anywhere to get a covid test. Long appointment waits. So she went to her Hospital's Employee Physician who gave her the swab test. She then took the swab down to their Lab and waited for the the results. Negative. Employee Physician told her to go home and rest for a day after working an overnight double shift. Come back and have a flu test done. This hospital has a staff shortage, including Security Support Staff

Her SIL and rest of stylists are quarantining at home and Salon has closed down..

Old 12-19-2021, 05:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
National and state vaccination rates are meaningless. One needs to go to the county level. There are 3000+ counties in the US. Upstate NY trends unvaccinated and hospitalizations began to surge last month.

We have known since mid summer that the efficacy of the vaccine begins to wane at the 5-6 month mark.
The durability of immunity acquired from a prior infection is unknown, especially against newer variants.

Neither the Trump nor Biden Admins anticipated the reluctance to vaccinate to the rate that has happened in some areas.

Seems to me many of those most opposed to the vaccine are also opposed to masking and distancing. At the same time, vaccinated people gather inside with friends/ family despite they may have been vaccinated 10+ months ago.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Take your chances....

If you want to ge the vax, get it. If you don't, don't.
If you want to social distance, then social distance. If you want to have big parties, go ahead.
If you want to wear a mask - have at it, even though other than the N95's, they dont' do anything for you.

The virus mainly attacks the old, and the unhealthy.

Whatever you decide to do...... LEAVE ME ALONE

I don't need illegitimate Uncle Joe Biden or the litte lyin' creep Fauci telling me what to do.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-19-2021 at 05:39 AM..

Old 12-19-2021, 05:39 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
But are people sick? Hospital admittances are up. Were the people admitted to the hospital because they were sick from covid, or were they admitted to the hospital for another reason and then tested positive for covid? If someone is in the hospital because they have a broken leg and then happen to test positive for covid but are asymptomatic, is that really a covid admittance?

Why is this distinction all of a sudden important? It wasn't when the numbers were high and the blame was on the unvaccinated. Just weird how fluid the narrative is when it needs to suit an agenda.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
I think both are stupid.

But, I feel like the system is crashing. My local pharmacies have been closing unexpectedly. Thy don't have the staff and the staff is burned out.

The staff felt they could go back to normal once the vaccines were done, but that isn't happening. It is a constant stream of testing, pills, and vaccines and they are sick of it.

In fact, only 27% of my state has the booster after at least 8 weeks of it being available.

Biden is going to come in and push this *doing stupdity* and the whole thing is going to crash.

I will sit back and watch.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Even upstate NY might turn blue now.

Only from lack of oxygen.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:

You know the answer to this. It begins with the letter "I" and rhymes with "mectin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies