Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 04:57 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times

Advertisements

Baby boomers are a HUGE group.
FLocking to cheaper states to live in.

Why cheaper -- supply and demand influences house prices right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:00 PM

14,970 posts, read 9,882,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

So are you suggesting boomers are leaving CA and there's a housing surplus?

Old 01-02-2022, 05:09 PM

26,039 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
They’re fleeing California because like any liberal, they screwed it up by voting for and supporting policies that didn’t make any sense and were not to work, the way their collectives brains “thought” it would.

Now, they’re fleeing to other States… With the SAME BS thoughts and ideals, which will turn that other State into a hell hole in a few election cycles.

Ideals and policies, solely based on emotions and feelings will never work and this alone is proof that liberalism is a mental condition!! Most liberals have a hard time dealing with facts, so they simply drift off into some fantasy world.
Which is precisely why the current Liberal administration, House of Reps, and Senate cannot govern.

If it were not for Manchin, Sinema, the Turtle, & the courts, we'd be in even worse shape than we are now.

Let's not forget how many Californians voted to oust Newsom. 32% of 12.8M California voters voted to cancel Govenor French Laundry. That is 4.1M voters. I'll bet a lot of those unhappy campers are looking for the exits.

2.8M more American citizens left Cali than moved in from 2010-2020, and 2021 was much worse.

Employers are leaving in droves, and taking employees with them..this article is a must read:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammil...h=1c5ae8012327

Amongst those that left recently are Apple, Nestle USA, Oracle, & Tesla. Disney is moving people out too.

Again, these trends gained pace in 2021 versus the prior year. This article mentions larger well-known public companies, but 10,000 smaller business also fled California.

As a country, we need California to turn things around. Under its current goverance, it won't happen. They are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, which is sad to see.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 01-02-2022 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 05:14 PM

26,839 posts, read 26,997,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
California lost 5,000,000 residents from 2010-2020. About 3,000,000 moved into Cali from other states. Thus, a net 2M loss in domestic migration.

So, how does cali get to a 6% overall populaton growth after losing a net of 2,000,000 American residents?

There are only 2 ways...births, and foreign imigrants..[b].oh and alien landings if you believe in that stuff.
We know that you insist on your numbers; you post them over--and over and over--again on the California forum.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:13 PM

26,039 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We know that you insist on your numbers; you post them over--and over and over--again on the California forum.
Not MY numbers at all. These are ALL of our numbers...even YOURS, because our gov't publishes them. They all eminate from the US Census Bureau.

The numbers of companies moving out is also generated by our government, but mostly state government.

If anyone reading this has better numbers than what our federal and state government produces, please share immediately.

If anyone feels my interpretations of the data is bad, then let's discuss why, but leave out the emotion and opinion, & base it in facts, as I do.

All I do is help others understand the numbers, and put them into context, and point out trends.

People here can choose to shoot the messenger, & ignore them all if they please. It won't change the numbers however.

The economic consequences of losing all these Cali residents, and employers is massive...in the hundreds of Billions. Eventually, even Cali's massive economy will begin to weaken, & decline.

Here's some more of your numbers put out by your federal gov't...note Cali's GDP decline beginning in 2019:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CARGSP

Covid you say? Then why hasn't the U.S. GDP declined in this same time period? If it did, we'd be in a recession right now. The U.S. has been outperforming Cali for 2 years now.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:36 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,784,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Rachel? Rachel Maddow? is that you?
I wish I had her neck..

Old 01-02-2022, 06:46 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,784,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I’m a baby boomer and mover from NYC to Asheville NC. I sold a brownstone in the ghetto and purchased 3 single family houses in the best zip code in Asheville. The best
thing about it was that I didn’t have to put up with tenants who thought that they owned the houses and could stay without paying rent.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:22 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,935,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Everyone always wants to be the last to move somewhere. Using your logic, I shouldn't be living where I do because, before Europeans moved into what would become Pennsylvania in the 1600s, my land was once a forest.

Where do you suppose humans should live? What was your property before it was developed for residential use? Where did your ancestors come from? Do you think they should have stayed there?
Never said that, just stating why California is losing its charm. I was born and raised there and wished people quit moving in and changed what made it great. Use to see bumper stickers saying “welcome to California now please go home”.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,715,412 times
An example of a San Jose, California company moving it HQ to Norman, OK, and it has little to do with liberalism or Democrats:

"CEO George Carlsgaard in the release said the University of Oklahoma’s School of Meteorology, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and a National Weather Service office all located in Norman factored into the move. Heather O’Malley, director of Marine Operations for AMI, said California is becoming increasingly difficult to operate a business due to rising costs.

Norman was chosen over Colorado Springs, which also has an Aerospace & Marine office, after speaking with their healthcare broker and speaking with the Norman Economic Development Coalition, O’Malley said in the release."

https://www.normantranscript.com/new...b97d77093.html

Old 01-02-2022, 10:42 PM

4,460 posts, read 5,189,910 times
Prices are insanely bloated and the populace is standing by because their getting something out of it monetarily. Policy makers are still nation building, wanting to build up (seemingly) underutilized parts of the country.

Investors, immigrants, foreigners and cheap money are the culprits, but also easily taken control of via regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies