Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:44 AM

5,121 posts, read 1,693,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

I seriously doubt that Californians or Democrats can destroy the South like locusts. They will always be in the minority.

They are destroying NC.

Certainly not always. Sadly, the northern transplants almost have NC turned blue, even though Dictator Cooper is widely disliked he somehow got reelected as gov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 09:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,998,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My daughter is leaving because her 6 figure salary isn't enough to buy a home where she works. She's a Micro Biologist and the average home 1300 sq ft., on a 5000 sq ft lot, and costs 1.5 million. NC is on her radar.
It would be interesting to know if she can maintain her 6 figure salary by moving to a lower cost of living area like NC.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:49 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,998,595 times
If she's WFH, she might be able to. It happens a lot. But it probably still pencils out even if she takes a cut. There are other benefits, such as not putting up with all the problems now prevalent in the West or elsewhere.

This is a free country. People who move to another area shouldn't be blamed for wanting, and trying, to improve their lives - especially if it's their only option to stay viable.

Some people only like freedom when it benefits them, but not when other people exercise their freedom.

Last edited by pathrunner; 01-02-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-02-2022, 09:55 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,194,079 times
Thread title is wrong.

Thread title says, "Why are even democrats fleeing California?" when there is absolutely nothing in the article that talks about Democrat vs. Republican. The article only refers to some companies who have chosen to relocate their headquarters to states with a lower cost of living.

OP made up the partisan angle and is total fiction. Why lie?

Old 01-02-2022, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,884,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ain't that that truth. Austin Tx is a testament to that statement. They flocked there during the "Great Recession" with their piles of money and progressive ideas.
I moved there in 1996 and watched the carnage unfold before my eyes. So many CA plates

And now Austin thinks it's in California and the Governor has to step in and squash their grandiose progressive laws.

And now I sit in Myrtle Beach and watch the streets filling up with NY/NJ license plates as they are fleeing there as well.
The population in Austin Metro has been increasing for decades.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...tin/population

Good jobs, especially for well educated people.

Home to big tech icons

Relatively mild winters. Not particularity at risk for extreme weather events.

No state taxes, albeit property taxes tend to make up for it.

Like the rest of the state, undocumented labor is plentiful.

Average age is younger than the national average.

Travis Cty has voted Democrat for decades.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
They are destroying NC.

Certainly not always. Sadly, the northern transplants almost have NC turned blue, even though Dictator Cooper is widely disliked he somehow got reelected as gov.
Democrats invading the South will never affect anything except perhaps North Carolina or Virginia (which just elected a Republican governor and lieutenant gov), or possibly now Georgia. Californians on the other hand, of course sell out and move to get away from it all and have money in retirement or an emergency fund. The only way Californians could ruin things is by driving up prices. Like that's the only way America's being destroyed! Not. That's a very, very small reason why America's being destroyed compared to other things.

i have plenty of friends in California who are staying put after buying their home 40 years ago. It all depends upon need. The ones who don't need to sell out stay put.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:11 AM

43,478 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The population in Austin Metro has been increasing for decades.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...tin/population

Good jobs, especially for well educated people.

Home to big tech icons

Relatively mild winters. Not particularity at risk for extreme weather events.

No state taxes, albeit property taxes tend to make up for it.

Like the rest of the state, undocumented labor is plentiful.

Average age is younger than the national average.

Travis Cty has voted Democrat for decades.
If you delve further Texas was a Dem state for a long time..only Texas Dems are not the same flavor as CA Dems.

Take a gander at the list of Texas Governors. Ann Richards was the last Dem Governor and that was about the time the Dems started moving further left and away from representing the blue collar working class.

Big tech only started to take over Austin within the past 20 years. CA tech firms like Apple and Blizzard first dipped their toes into Texas with "customer support" centers. Over the years they started to bring development work to Austin and now many others have development work as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rnors_of_Texas

Old 01-02-2022, 10:18 AM

26,056 posts, read 13,059,419 times
The OP's query is one of "domestic migration", not foreign immigration, or natural birth/death rates, and not total population. This is a key point. Domestic migration focuses solely upon U.S. citizen's state-to-state moves. Any other discussion would be off-topic.

1st...there is no single easy answer...it's very complex.

2nd...there are no absolutes, so one must focus upon shades of gray...subtle nuances that build over time.

3rd...its an evolutionary process of change, so trends are key.

4th...there are winners, & losers, in domestic migration swings, & each side, has its own perspectives.

I've spent time on the Cali forum trying to understand this issue, because I have friends, family, & investments there. Other states are going through domestic migration outflow too, so Cali's not alone. Most (not all) are decades long Dem-controlled states...CA, NY, CT, IL, NJ, MI. Red states of WV, MS, & KY also struggle. Purple states like OH, & PA are nearly stagnant too, as compared to national trends.

Many people who left Cali point to high cost-of-living, especially housing. The most affluent can afford to pay high home/rent prices, & taxes, but the bottom ~60%, & retirees on fixed incomes & who lack wealth, cannot.

Yes, wages are higher in many of these stagnant states, like Cali, but their income disparity is often greater too. A shrinking middle class is a common theme. Those at the bottom suffer most, so many leave. Rich people can afford to stay, but some leave too, like Elon Musk. As I said, there are no absolutes in any of this, but there are dominant logical trends.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:24 AM

14,971 posts, read 9,888,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It would be interesting to know if she can maintain her 6 figure salary by moving to a lower cost of living area like NC.
Maybe... but she's smart enough to know what COL means and how a dollar here may buy more there.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ain't that that truth. Austin Tx is a testament to that statement. They flocked there during the "Great Recession" with their piles of money and progressive ideas.
I moved there in 1996 and watched the carnage unfold before my eyes. So many CA plates

And now Austin thinks it's in California and the Governor has to step in and squash their grandiose progressive laws.

And now I sit in Myrtle Beach and watch the streets filling up with NY/NJ license plates as they are fleeing there as well.
History books will document this great American migration in 50-100 years and I'd like to be around, though I won't, to read the take on it. We can't prevent change. I'm old, I despise what's happened to California. I'm just thankful I grew up there when it was TRULY paradise (50's and 60's).

People keep blaming Democrats but that's only part of the problem. The other part is elite global corporatists. To me the battle between Dems and Repubs is simply two takes on fighting back against what corporate America and global corporations (which is really all there is now) inflicts upon us. You know, that REAL welfare recipient. But that's a topic for another forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies