Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 06:49 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, in Oklahoma, most people are moving to Oklahoma City. To no surprise, Oklahoma City isn't trying to bribe people to move there. Strange how it's a wonder anybody wants to move there due to the tornadoes, ice storms and hailstorms. On the other hand, Tulsa doesn't have as much of that bad weather while being somewhat more scenic.
I don't know of any area that can't have "bad" conditions.

Hurricanes. tornado, snow and ice storms, lots of rain, earthquakes, fires, etc.etc..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 06:49 AM

1,017 posts, read 787,897 times
I just hope and pray the people moving south from blue states don't try to turn the red states into blue states.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:54 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
So many are leaving Calif.....UHaul ran out of trucks...and can't keep up

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...out-of-trucks/

Old 01-09-2022, 06:55 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I suspect it’s boomers who didn’t plan well for retirement cashing in on the real estate prices and then going where they can afford to retire. Being the idiots that they are.
You can only "plan" so much if you are a middle class worker.

When you are working, you can afford $10,000 a year in property taxes. In retirement you CAN'T!

Old 01-09-2022, 07:03 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You can only "plan" so much if you are a middle class worker.

When you are working, you can afford $10,000 a year in property taxes. In retirement you CAN'T!
Yup. Property taxes only go up.
I think of places like NY were they can increase hundreds of dollars a year, EVERY year.
How is someone on a fixed income supposed to keep up with that, plus other rising costs.
Same with utilities, insurances. They only go up, never down.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:08 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I’ll take more blue voters ! Welcome to Fl !

Old 01-09-2022, 08:42 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
They don't have lower property tax rates, but they have lower real estate prices overall, correct?
And that's the funny part. All those lower real estate prices are on houses built by illegals.

Texas has no income tax. But adding up the sales taxes paid by 2 old retired people who don't need to buy much revealed we pay thousands a year in sales taxes. Our sales tax rate is 8.25. Property tax rate is 2.75. Texas does give a homeowner exemption and some taxing authorities freeze the market value when the owner reaches 65.

And the good thing about unincorporated areas of Texas, the house can be mold or gold on the inside and nobody knows. And most contractors in incorporated towns will say paying for permits and inspections is a PITA. So the work is done without a permit. And the law say adding square footage will raise the value, but they say nothing about putting in a 50K kitchen.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:34 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
They come to Fla for a last ride in the sun and fun -before they die. I’m a native, and it’s always been. Many still own homes up north. Younger families come to have kids outside - sports - beach- Disney.
I never met anyone come for political reasons. That’s a “new” thing and mostly trumpettes. Right now Michigan is very high on my new neighbors list, but I’m sure there are stats somewhere of where they coming from .

Old 01-09-2022, 03:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
And that's the funny part. All those lower real estate prices are on houses built by illegals.

Texas has no income tax. But adding up the sales taxes paid by 2 old retired people who don't need to buy much revealed we pay thousands a year in sales taxes. Our sales tax rate is 8.25. Property tax rate is 2.75. Texas does give a homeowner exemption and some taxing authorities freeze the market value when the owner reaches 65.

And the good thing about unincorporated areas of Texas, the house can be mold or gold on the inside and nobody knows. And most contractors in incorporated towns will say paying for permits and inspections is a PITA. So the work is done without a permit. And the law say adding square footage will raise the value, but they say nothing about putting in a 50K kitchen.
Oh yea, I have heard that Texas sales taxes are insane. 8.25% is really high btw. That real estate tax rate is nothing to scoff at either. I figure a state will get it one way or another. If you are on the lower income side, your state tax burden will be lower in a state like California, but this changes as a certain income threshold. The middle 60% of incomes in California actually has a lower tax burden than the same middle 60% earners in Texas. The top earners in Texas do fare better than in California though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...xes-than-texas

Old 01-09-2022, 04:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Oh yea, I have heard that Texas sales taxes are insane. 8.25% is really high btw. That real estate tax rate is nothing to scoff at either. I figure a state will get it one way or another. If you are on the lower income side, your state tax burden will be lower in a state like California, but this changes as a certain income threshold. The middle 60% of incomes in California actually has a lower tax burden than the same middle 60% earners in Texas. The top earners in Texas do fare better than in California though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...xes-than-texas
Texas isn't all that bad. Sales taxes are even higher in Oklahoma. In Oklahoma City the sales tax is 8.63%. If would have been 7.63% had voters not approved of the MAPS4 civic improvement projects that will cost close to a billion dollars. The vote was even close, approved by nearly 72%. The Republican mayor certainly supported it as well as Biden's infrastructure bill.

If Texas keep growing strong, the cost of living will go up greatly and make Oklahoma attractive as a nearby state to get away from it. Some people in Denver are moving to Oklahoma to get away from the high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies