Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 08:42 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Silly thread.

You might want to look at the population of the states you claim where people are exiting rather than rely on Uhaul which is not the most reliable metric of this sort of thing.

Admittedly, many in those blue states wish that more people would move out as they're overcrowded.

Here's a link of CA's population from the last few years (the source is actually Texas A & M...how ironic). Yeah, your mass exodus is nil.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ate/California

Not to mention, most people don't really give a rat's azz about the politics in making a move. The #1 reason is simply going to be COL since residents in most blue states are more affluent. And the reason the prices are higher is typically desirability to live somewhere.

I used to hear this nonsense when I first moved to the Austin areas (the uninformed would say they were being invaded by Californians). So I looked it up. And wouldn't you know. Most people moving to our area where from other parts of Texas by a landslide. The percentage of Californians was like 6%. And as for your politics being changed, I'd say if 6% of people had that much of an influence, then your politics were changing regardless.

With that said, I couldn't tell you the politics of any of my neighbors as they're all too polite to bring politics or religion into a conversation. It's called etiquette folks.
Your post doesnt prove anything because Uhaul is used for moving and CA's population only grew thanks to natural increase (births minus deaths). I already posted a link in this thread, that you also used in your post, which shows the hundreds of thousands of CA residents that leave the state annually. It's the far right column. So many leave that it negates the international immigtation numbers, of which CA's share is also dropping due to high housing costs (cheaper states have seen more growth there). I honestly don't know how you can use that link and post what you did about CA's population.

And yes for Austin, outside of the people it gets from Houston and DFW, the largest share of its newcomers are from California.

Btw the source for the link is not A&M but the Census. All A&M does is compile the data in easy to read formats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:43 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
This is the crux of the issue here. It seems that many here don't understand that some of these more popular red states are on the same growth trajectory as many current day blue states. Remember, California used to be red. It seems once they reach this population threshold and reach a certain share of urban population within these states, they may start to mirror the blue states they bemoan.
There's no question if red states attract enough democrats to move in they'll end up just as awful as the blue states those feeble minded democrats fled in the first place.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:
This is the crux of the issue here. It seems that many here don't understand that some of these more popular red states are on the same growth trajectory as many current day blue states. Remember, California used to be red. It seems once they reach this population threshold and reach a certain share of urban population within these states, they may start to mirror the blue states they bemoan.
True. In NC when I moved there in the ‘90s it was cheap living, low taxes and real estate, and solid red. Changed to cities being blue, all costs skyrocketing, uncontrolled sprawl, builders clearing every tree for postage stamp lots, roads being overcrowded as soon as they were constructed. It was becoming unappealing.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
I know many people who moved south for COL reasons and regretted the move. COL imo is a bad choice for number one on the “pros” list.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:59 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I live in a red state, and we're getting people from other red states. I moved from one red state to another. Politics had nothing to do with it. I was offered a job and I took it.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:08 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
One thing I would look at is demographics. This is playing a role too. It wasn't just a population threshold. It was a demographic threshold. The Hispanic and Asian populations have risen rapidly in California. And some Republicans in California were perceived to be anti-immigrant. This didn't help. California is majority-minority at this point. This is a big part of what's keeping California blue. California has also attracted a decent-size LGBT population, as well as a decent-size number of young and childless people.

Another state I would look at is Georgia. It's already in that trajectory. Georgia has 10.7 million people. There are 3.3 million Blacks in Georgia, about 32% (up from 27% in 1990) of the population (up from 1.7 million in 1990). Georgia's White population has been on the decline since the 1990s, in spite of the number of Whites from other states moving there (51%, down from 70% in 1990). Demographics is playing a role in Georgia. Blacks weren't just coming from blue states. Many were coming from red states as well. The Atlanta area is currently a big magnet for people moving to Georgia. Georgia just turned blue for the first time since 1992 (GA went for Clinton in 1992, and voted Republican from 1996-2016).

Old 01-06-2022, 10:28 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
This one moved to get out of a Democrat hell hole. Weather was never a factor.
This one too!!!

But I do have to confess that I've always dreamed of living in the Great American Southwest.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Real estate taxes were considerably cheaper at one point in FL, but the high cost of homeowner's insurance and a subsequent rise in property taxes have probably narrowed that gap quite a bit.

I think most of them are moving to escape the stupidity that has resulted from the policies of the people that they elected. It could be my imagination, but it seems like the Northeast in particular has just become an insufferable place to live due to political stupidity. Throw in weather that is less than ideal, and it's no wonder those states are shrinking slightly.
You couldn't have stated that any better!!!

Old 01-06-2022, 10:40 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Look what two cities are in the top 20 for GAINING U-hauls:

8. Sacramento, California
12. San Diego, California

Sorry to burst your bubble, California haters. More people are moving to Sacramento and San Diego than are leaving.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...-Cities-26381/

Old 01-06-2022, 11:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Look what two cities are in the top 20 for GAINING U-hauls:

8. Sacramento, California
12. San Diego, California

Sorry to burst your bubble, California haters. More people are moving to Sacramento and San Diego than are leaving.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...-Cities-26381/
lol. gotta take what small solace ya can get, eh elliott?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies